Easy Bake Coven

by Liz Schulte

Series: Easy Bake Coven (1)

The Abyss is watching her ... waiting for her.For Selene Warren being a witch is no big deal. She dabbles in harmless magic with her friends and never thinks much about it. When her grandmother is attacked, Selene uncovers an ancient grudge that threatens the lives of everyone she loves.With no other choice, she puts her trust in a stranger who knows more about who she is than she does and shows her a world of elves, half-elves, fae -- and one peculiar sekhmet named Femi.This unusual new world could swallow Selene whole, take away everything that makes her who she is, but the with a forgotten past beating down her door, she will have to dive in to save her future.… (more)

"Easy Bake Coven" is the first in what I see right now in a trilogy written by author Liz Schulte.

The main protagonist, Selene Warren, is a witch who does not practice day to day magic due to her promising her grandmother she would not. Suddenly one day a mysterious stranger calling himself Cheney turns up saying cryptic warnings to her which coincides with her grandmother being hurt. Selene's world is then turned upside down she she finds out about her true history.

I don't want to get more specific than that in the review because Ms. Schulte really does turn things on her head with the trajectory of the novel.

I did really want to like this novel more than I did since I really do like the adult fantasy genre and am always on the lookout for a new series to read. However, it seems very apparent that Selene is 100 percent a Mary Sue and seems to be great at everything related to magic. Cheney though he was supposed to be dark and brooding I really didn't care for him at all due to the way he was introduced and the subsequent interactions with him and Selene.

I think that to world building on this scale it would have helped if things did not start off on some breakneck pace and Selene kept "remembering" things selectively here and there. I know because of this the plot holes in the novel could be explained away but it seemed an easy way out to have things that don't make sense explained away.

With an ending that really just kind of happened and left things on a cliffhanger I am assuming that storyline will be resolved with the sequel, "Hungry, Hungry Hoodoo". Too bad I have no intention of following up to see what becomes of Selene and Cheney. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
While I am not normally a fan of paranormal, I really liked this book. Until the end. I don't like a book that leaves me hanging here wondering what the heck just happened. Could have been five stars but for that. ( )
  JansenSchmidt | Oct 24, 2018 |
Easy Bake Coven, love the title by the way, was a quick-paced and fun read. Full of a wide variety of paranormal creatures, and enough steamy romance to keep this reader turning the pages, it was a very enjoyable read!

Selene is our heroine in Easy Bake Coven, and you find out so much about her as the story progresses, even at the end we are learning things we didn't know. Cheney is a sexy elf that seems to know way more about her than she even knew herself. The romance that develops between them starts out as a love-hate kind of thing and transforms into some pretty steamy scenes later on.

There is such a great plot to this story, and I don't want to ruin it for anyone, so I'm not going to go into it too much, but I do want to say that I really enjoyed it and that there were so many characters in this book that I loved and hope to see more of in the next book! And, although the book has a great ending, Liz Schulte dropped a bomb in the last couple of pages that made me yearn to start the second book right away! I'm not going to spoil it for you, but you're definitely going to want to read the second book Hungry, Hungry, Hoodoo (which just released yesterday, yay!) as soon as you finish this one!

4 1/2 out of 5 Stars ( )
  Chrystina.Williams | Dec 4, 2015 |
An entertaining read but disappointing.. not many witches around - just the King and Queen of the Elves??? I was expecting something funny too.. given the original description and the cover.. NEVER tell a book by it's cover - all good advice :) ( )
  Mecaza | Jun 23, 2015 |
It didn't really grab my attention but it was fairly readable.

I got it free from amazon at some point and finishes on a bit of a cliffhanger but I have no real impulse to read on.

Selene Warren is a witch and that's quite okay with her, her small coven cast spells occasionally and she teaches yoga and while she wants a bit more from her life she's happy enough and then her grandmother is attacked and Cheney comes into her life. Her life will change and will never be the same again.

It's not terrible but it didn't flow well enough for me and I didn't care about the characters and what was happening to them. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Apr 22, 2015 |

Belongs to Series

For Selene Warren being a witch is no big deal. She dabbles in harmless magic with her friends and never thinks much about it. However, when a stranger who seems to know her shows up at her studio and her grandmother is brutally attacked, her simple life becomes complicated.

A world of elves, half-elves, faeā€”and one peculiar Sekhmet named Femi open up to her. She will discover that fairy tales are real, politics are ugly in any world, and there is a lot more to her life than she ever dreamed possible.

This new reality threatens swallow Selene whole, but with a forgotten past beating down her door, she will have to dive in to save her future.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,943,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible