Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of…

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage: A novel (original 2013; edition 2014)

by Haruki Murakami (Author), Philip Gabriel (Translator)

2,5841393,330 (3.86)1 / 163
Member:TheCriticalTimes
Title:Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage: A novel
Authors:Haruki Murakami (Author)
Other authors:Philip Gabriel (Translator)
Info:Knopf (2014), Edition: 1st Edition, 400 pages
Collections:Loaned from Library

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami (2013)

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (chwiggy)
    The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Also about friendships and the revelation of secrets later in life
    The Gunners: A Novel by Rebecca Kauffman (Anonymous user)
    The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Another group of friends with secrets over the years

English (115)  Dutch (6)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Catalan (2)  Norwegian (1)  Norwegian (Bokmål) (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (139)
The book was good, but I'm getting bored of Murakami's themes. ( )
  simonspacecadet | Jul 29, 2018 |
One of the best books I read this year, and I think the best Murakami since [b:The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle|11275|The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle|Haruki Murakami|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327872639s/11275.jpg|2531376]. I really felt for Tsukuru, and the story of a group of close friends that breaks up for mysterious reasons really resonated. Tsukuru Tazaki is in many ways a typical Murakami character--withdrawn and isolated--but I thought he was more vividly drawn than many of Murakami's recent creations. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
I love Murakami's novels and have read about 10 of them. But this one I found just boring. The main character is genuinely colourless and that is the problem with the book, there is nothing very intriguing, lively or colourful about it. The book explores one of Murakami's main themes, loss of old friendship but it was just a bit too introspective, self-pitying and slow paced to really engage me. ( )
  MitchMcCrimmon | Apr 27, 2018 |
Mmmm...one of those book you finish thinking you must have missed something...I'm generally not a fan of Japanese fiction - and this hasn't converted me. The parred back prose and the direct reporting of what exists in the world left me feeling cold and with heaps of questions. I was convinced one character was going to be quiet pivotal , but as the book closed, it was clear i'd misread all the signals! At every turn I think I was expecting the characters to have bigger and deeper responses to the circumstances unfolding and couldn't quiet read them as they appeared to take it all in their stride and show us vey little emotion. ( )
  Mitch1 | Mar 25, 2018 |
Engaging at first. Speed read to finish, would have stopped reading but kept thinking (hoping) something was going to happen.
  Phunsog | Mar 14, 2018 |
This is a book for both the new and experienced reader. It has a strange casualness, as if it unfolded as Murakami wrote it; at times, it seems like a prequel to a whole other narrative. The feel is uneven, the dialogue somewhat stilted, either by design or flawed in translation. Yet there are moments of epiphany gracefully expressed, especially in regard to how people affect one another.
added by ozzer | editNew York Times, Patti Smith (Aug 5, 2014)

Murakami, Harukiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gabriel, PhilipTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gräfe, UrsulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidd, ChipCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
From July of his sophomore year in college until the following January, all Tsukuru Tazaki could think about was dying.
No seu segundo ano de faculdade, entre julho e o mês de janeiro seguinte, Tsukuri Tazaki só pensava em morrer.
Fra juli måned det andet år på universitetet og frem til januar det efterfølgende år tænkte Tsukuru Tazaki kun på at dø.
"It's sort of weird if you think about it," Sara said. "We live in a pretty apathetic age, yet we're surrounded by an enormous amount of information about other people. If you feel like it, you can easily gather that information about them. Having said that, we still hardly know anything about people."
And in that moment, he was finally able to accept it all. In the deepest recesses of his soul, Tsukuru Tazaki understood. One heart is not connected to another through harmony alone. They are, instead, linked deeply through their wounds. Pain linked to pain, fragility to fragility. There is no silence without a cry of grief, no forgiveness without bloodshed, no acceptance without a passage through acute loss. That is what lies at the root of true harmony.
Der er ting her i livet, der er så komplicerede, at de vanskeligt lader sig forklare på noget sprog.

"The new novel--a book that sold more than a million copies the first week it went on sale in Japan--from the internationally acclaimed author, his first since IQ84"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,985,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible