The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The…

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering… (2014)

by Marie Kondo

English (127)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  All (137)
Every time you roll your socks up they scream in pain. This is what I learnt from this book. But I still roll my socks. ( )
  graffiti.living | Oct 22, 2017 |
'm not sure but I think this book might be losing something in the translation, or maybe not. First published in 2011 when the author was 26 years old, for me, this book reads like it's been written by someone VERY young. Ideas and methodology are repeated throughout, mantra style, and came across sounding like Daily Affirmations. I've never really understood daily affirmations, they obviously work for some people, trouble is they've always sounded like personal brainwashing to me. Maria Kondo is a very successful, Japanese organizing consultant and author however, I fear this book will not resonate with her western culture readers as successfully as it does with her Japanese readers. Maybe it's me but I couldn't do much of what she is advocating in her mindfulness approach to organisation. I will not start thanking my possessions for getting me through the day, for keeping me warm, for making my day successful. Marie Kondo insists that the secret to tidying up is not throwing things away but rather, the secret is in deciding to keep only those things that truly give us joy and happiness. After we make the decision between what gives us joy and what doesn't we can then and only then, say goodbye and thank you to all the things in our homes that don't. I've certainly gleaned some useful ideas about decluttering and I like the idea of storing things vertically instead of horizontally, but as a new way of life or a new enlightened philosophy, this is not for me. ( )
  Fliss88 | Oct 8, 2017 |
The "magical" aspects of this book sometimes came across as a bit silly, and some of the situations seemed totally unrealistic... but I found many of the ideas very thought-provoking. As someone who struggles with clutter, this book provided a unique perspective, and I think that with some modifications, the KonMari method could prove useful to me. ( )
  incognitoemily | Oct 5, 2017 |
Don't waste your time. I don't trust any self-help author who claims a 100% success rate. People are just not that good at changing habits, and her claims just get worse from there.

If you don't believe in minimalism for minimalism's sake, you probably won't find this book helpful. She seems to think that owning more than 2 items means you're an obsessive hoarder. Like others before her, she takes the minimalist home organization shtick too far. I refuse to believe that having useful items on hand is equated with hoarding, fooling yourself into happiness via belongings, etc. I have many useful possessions that I don't use every day: a toolbox, winter boots, summer shirts, first aid kit, etc. Should I throw them away because it's empty materialism? Of course not. I would be ridiculous to toss items out, then need them again, run out to the store to buy the item again, toss it out, and so the cycle continues... ( )
  Lindoula | Sep 25, 2017 |
This book sets out to help declutter and better organize your home. Now I can't necessarily say that it completely accomplishes this, but for me, I still really enjoyed it for other reasons. It did include some helpful tips, and the Kon Mari method is great for those who need a radical change. I do not need a radical change. Here is what I did take away from the book: I really loved the animism and spiritualism present within her tidying and organization philosophy. I am a religious person, but generally I also really like spiritualism, too. Not in the woo-woo kind of way, but I like thinking that everything has a soul and that karma exists, i.e. be nice and the universe will be nice back (sometimes, lol.) A lot of Kondo's passages about an organized lifestyle are imbued with Japanese spiritualism and produced a lot of beautiful turns of phrase. I also really enjoyed her speaking from personal experience, it was interesting to hear about the life of a Japanese businesswoman, her daily routine, her work, and childhood anecdotes. I've worked with Japanese international students in the past and plan to do so again in the future. I find Japanese culture fascinating, always have really (used to be at an intermediate level in speaking the language as well, but have forgotten a lot of it, かなしいね). Good book. ( )
  Pashii | Aug 28, 2017 |

Marie Kondoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Di Berardino, FrancescaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hirano, CathyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeller, Emily WooNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In this book, I have summed up how to put your space in order in a way that will change your life forever.
Have you ever tidied madly, only to find that all too soon your home or workplace is cluttered again?
The moment you first encounter a particular book is the right time to read it.

For years of faithful service
And throw them away.

Transform your home into a permanently clear and clutter-free space with the incredible KonMari Method. This title helps you tidy your rooms once and for all with inspirational step-by-step method.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,666,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible