The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The…

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering… (2014)

by Marie Kondo

3,8631911,986 (3.66)171

English (178)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  All languages (189)
Very well written and intriguing. Being translated from Japanese, this book has some odd points about it since there is a cultural divide, but I don't know many people that spent their time organizing and tidying for fun. When I was a teenager, I played video games and read books, I didn't know anyone that cleaned their house for fun. So through all of her experience in trying so many different techniques, Marie Kondo was able to develop her own unique style of tidying and cleaning. Apparently it works, since as of the writing she has a waiting list and yet to have a relapse.

The subject and method she writes about makes sense. What is the method? Well, you might have to just buy the book, though the primary thing is to get rid of things that don't bring you joy. This is rather vague, but she tailors it to each person she consults for.

Anyway, it was really good, and if I did follow it, I would certainly have more space in my house. However, I am a slob. Not terribly so, but I do have a massive collection of books that I need to read. That would be something that had to go, but I don't know if I would have the fortitude to do so. There is always the Library, but there is something about having a book to yourself that is just nice. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
I read this book. I tidied up with my partner. This book was really helpful in that endeavor. My life is still mostly the same but I'll give it a few days to take effect.

Overall a real fun book - Marie Kondo clearly takes a lot of joy in this and is also quite willing to poke fun at herself about that. ( )
  haagen_daz | Jun 6, 2019 |
Magic is not quite the word to describe Kondō’s method of simplifying your life by tiding up. It’s more a spiritual discipline of decluttering your life starting with your home environment. It starts with the conversion experience of getting rid of the accumulated clutter of your personal possessions in a half-year discarding marathon. Keep only those things that “spark joy” in you and get rid of the rest. Do this by touching each item, and if it does not spark joy in you, then you thank it for what it has done for you in the past and let it go. Treating your home and everything in it as an animate object with feelings will lead you to a state of mental serenity, and although the process may be difficult, it will be worth the effort. ( )
  MaowangVater | May 31, 2019 |
interessante e messo in pratica alcune idee molto valide. ( )
  elerwen | May 29, 2019 |
I'm excited to apply a lot of these lessons to tidying up my own house. I'm also happy to know that I was already doing quite a few things right. There are some rather dubious philosophical ramblings that I had a hard time taking seriously. For a self-help book, I really enjoyed it. ( )
  ladypembroke | May 17, 2019 |

Marie Kondoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Di Berardino, FrancescaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hirano, CathyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeller, Emily WooNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In this book, I have summed up how to put your space in order in a way that will change your life forever.
Have you ever tidied madly, only to find that all too soon your home or workplace is cluttered again?
The moment you first encounter a particular book is the right time to read it.
...we should be choosing what we want to keep, not what we want to get rid of.
...the best way to choose what to keep and what to throw away is to take each item in one’s hand and ask “Does this spark joy?” If it does, keep it. If not, dispose of it.
I recommend that you always think in terms of category, not place.
Getting rid of other people’s things without permission demonstrates a sad lack of common sense.
Shouldn't be combined with The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up: A Magical Story even though the titles are similar (at least in English). The two books were written several years apart and the manga is a fictionalized lesson on the KonMari Method, told through a story that doesn't appear in this book.

Download This Book In Full Version For FREE Here:
For years of faithful service
And throw them away.

This best-selling guide to decluttering your home from Japanese cleaning consultant Marie Kondo takes readers step-by-step through her revolutionary KonMari Method for simplifying, organizing, and storing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,735,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible