The life-changing magic of tidying : a…

The life-changing magic of tidying : a simple, effective way to banish… (edition 2014)

by Marie Kondō

Series: Magic Cleaning (1)

This best-selling guide to decluttering your home from Japanese cleaning consultant Marie Kondo takes readers step-by-step through her revolutionary KonMari Method for simplifying, organizing, and storing.
Member:SueJ1
Title:The life-changing magic of tidying : a simple, effective way to banish clutter forever
Authors:Marie Kondō
Info:London : Ebury Digital, 2014.
Rating:***

Work Information

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo

Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (Carole888)
    Carole888: It is the companion read to the Kondo's other and both go together well. An interesting and refreshing read!
    Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat? by Peter Walsh (Cecilturtle)
    The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up: A Magical Story by Marie Kondo (villemezbrown)
    A Monk's Guide to a Clean House and Mind by Shoukei Matsumoto (MissBrangwen)
    MissBrangwen: This is more spiritual than KonMari, but the principles are similar and it gives more inside into Japanese culture.
    Remodelista by Julie Carlson (sturlington)

English (273)  Spanish (4)  German (3)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  Czech (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (287)
I thought that this book was funny, parts of it actually made me laugh out loud because the tone and seriousness - really humorous based on the overall delivery.

I am sure that some people will think that this is a spiritually enlightening book; and there are small tid-bits and pieces of insight that can be flagged as "deep."

For the most part, very similar to any discussion/publication on "how to organize" or "get rid of clutter" which is to throw stuff out that you don't need.

The best part of this book was its small size, perfect to carry in a smaller bag to read on the go. I enjoyed reading the author's tone, although found the content boring and overworked

maitrigita | Oct 2, 2022 |
An excellent book, Here is my most important point: Take each item in one’s hand and ask: “Does this spark joy?” If it does, keep it. If not, dispose of it ( )
  brewbooks | Aug 21, 2022 |
Unimpressive and generally unrealistic and opinionated advice. The author seems be not well. ( )
  David_Brown | Aug 15, 2022 |
I'm not a big self-help book fan, but this was interesting. Wish it was more "do this" type of writing, but it made some really good points. ( )
  panamamama | Aug 2, 2022 |
This is one of the (5 1) / 2 == 3 star books for me. Some things I loved. Others annoyed me.

One thing that didn't annoy me, which I'll note because I know it is the thing that bugs other people, is the idea that you should get rid of anything which doesn't spark joy. No, your car keys don't directly spark joy but you can make the argument that they enable you to get places, which does spark joy. But more importantly, this is a heuristic, like the oft cited William Morris quote, "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." In both of these cases, you can find counter arguments, but the point of both is the same: to try to get at the idea that the things in your house are the things that you truly believe have value, not the things that other people value or that you feel obliged to keep.

The animism somewhat bugged me. In general, I thought it was kind of endearing, but when it was the only justification given for why to do something, it was kind of annoying.

The thing that really bugged me, and which ultimately led to my mixed feelings about the book, was Kondo's attitude that you had to accept her method wholesale. You must go through everything in a category at once, you must go through categories in the order she prescribed, you must accept her attitude toward things like books. There is some merit to her views in all those cases, but I think there is still much value to get out of her approach without making it an all or nothing approach.

Overall though, I'm glad that I read this. Despite it's flaws, what this book ultimately does is help you feel confident that you can make decisions about the things in your life which do and do not make you happy. And that brings me to the other thing people sometimes hate about this book that doesn't bug me: that tidying can change your life for the better. I kind of believe it because ultimately, what Kondo recommends isn't about tidying. It's about understanding and trusting what you really want -- and if you make that a practice in everything, it can change your life. ( )
  eri_kars | Jul 10, 2022 |

Marie Kondoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Di Berardino, FrancescaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hirano, CathyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeller, Emily WooNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

In this book, I have summed up how to put your space in order in a way that will change your life forever.
Have you ever tidied madly, only to find that all too soon your home or workplace is cluttered again?
The moment you first encounter a particular book is the right time to read it.
...we should be choosing what we want to keep, not what we want to get rid of.
...the best way to choose what to keep and what to throw away is to take each item in one’s hand and ask “Does this spark joy?” If it does, keep it. If not, dispose of it.
I recommend that you always think in terms of category, not place.
Getting rid of other people’s things without permission demonstrates a sad lack of common sense.
Shouldn't be combined with The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up: A Magical Story even though the titles are similar (at least in English). The two books were written several years apart and the manga is a fictionalized lesson on the KonMari Method, told through a story that doesn't appear in this book.

For years of faithful service
And throw them away.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,143,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible