Start: Punch Fear in the Face, Escape Average, Do Work that Matters (2013)

by Jon Acuff

Over the last 100 years, the road to success for most everyone has been divided into five predictable stages: Learning, Editing, Mastering, Harvesting, and Guiding. While none of the stages can be skipped, they can be shortened and accelerated. There are only two paths in life: average and awesome. The average path is easy because all you have to do is nothing. The awesome path is more challenging, because things like fear only bother you when you do work that matters. Start gives readers practical, actionable insights to be more awesome, more often.… (more)

Do you want to become awesome? Then start.

Jon Acuff pointed out in his book, Start: Punch Fear in the Face, Escape Average and Do Work that Matters*, that to move from average to awesome, you have to start. While you will not achieve awesome overnight, by starting you are on your way. Read more ( )
  skrabut | Sep 2, 2020 |
Absolutely amazing. It's been a long time since I've taken notes on a book that I've read for fun. This is a keeper. Sometimes we get into a rut, and depending on our age we might feel like it's a little too late to start and who can even begin to start if we have all these obligations?? But this book will get you out of your rut, and moving. Even if it's baby steps, it's still MOVEMENT. ( )
  Cfo6 | Mar 19, 2018 |
This was really hard to get through. It reads like a great public speaker wrote down their address to a very specific audience, as delivered. To be fair, there is some inspiration and good advice. The gem I valued most was the value of silencing the inner critic. All of the gems could have been delivered much more succinctly. There are many attempts at humorous asides that probably work well on stage but just take space on paper. It would also help if the reader already knows about and admires Dave Ramsey. I don't, so the many references to that speaker's example and inspiration left me feeling like the one acquaintance among close friends at a cocktail party. ( )
  jpsnow | Apr 22, 2017 |
A very good motivational book with helpful and practical steps to achieve "awesome". He says a dream is really a nap..... and everyone should have dreams but ...... To go from average to awesome you have to START! ( )
  slhayes | Jul 2, 2016 |
The problem with self help books is that you have to do the work for them to be effective. Most of the time the reader does not understand this nor do they know where to start. This book at least makes those observations for the reader up front. This book does not appear to be written by a sunshine pumping quack. This guy seems to have failed several times and learned from those failures. He delivers his life lessons to you in a very simple but profound way. Not magic, but the kind of wisdom that gave you prior successes in other areas of your life but that you never thought of applying elsewhere. This is a one of the rare books you should buy. Before you do go to your library and take it out for test ride. ( )
  Cataloger623 | Nov 8, 2014 |
"Dad, why is L.E.'s name mentioned three times in the dedication to Quitter and my name is mentioned only once?" -McRae, my then 5-year-old daughter

"Great question. You can write the dedication to the next book." -Me

"Good. I'll say, 'To Jenny, McRae, and L.E'." -McRae
If you ever fly Korean Air, keep your eyes closed as you make your way to coach. You may have to feel your way there, but trust me, that momentary inconvenience is worth it. You do not want to see the first-class seats.

Inside cover:
No one aims for average.
No one sets out for status quo.
No one longs for ordinary.

But one day you wake up and ask yourself, how did I get here? You wonder if there's a way to be more awesome, more often. A way to punch fear in the face, escape average, and do work that matters.

There is, and it's not even that complicated. Since the dawn of time, every wildly successful life has gone through the same five states. They used to be tied to your age.

20s- Learning
30s- Editing
40s- Mastering
50s- Harvesting
60s- Guiding

But the great news is, it's no longer about when you were born; it's about when you decide to live. You don't have to be in your 20s to learn, and you don't have to be in your 50s to harvest.

You just have to start.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 156,983,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible