Resurrecting Empire by Rashid Khalidi

Resurrecting Empire (2005)

by Rashid Khalidi

It's not an easy read. It's very academic, and by that I mean it's dense and you can't skim it. I find I'm very comfortable with the academic approach, because I like facts, not opinion, and I'm not bothered by having to establish quiet time so I can read and understand. To be fair, Khalid's point of view comes through, but as he backs it up with solid fact, I'm unbothered. I think this book will appeal to both historians and politicians. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
The people of England have been led in Mesopotamia into a trap from which it will be hard to escape with dignity and honour.

Begun as the United States moved its armed forces into Iraq, Rashid Khalidi's powerful and thoughtful new book examines the record of Western involvement in the region and analyzes the likely outcome of our most recent Middle East incursions. Drawing on his encyclopedic knowledge of the political and cultural history of the entire region as well as interviews and documents, Khalidi paints a chilling scenario of our present situation and yet offers a tangible alternative that can help us find the path to peace rather than Empire.

We all know that those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Sadly, as Khalidi reveals with clarity and surety, America's leaders seem blindly committed to an ahistorical path of conflict, occupation, and colonial rule. Our current policies ignore rather than incorporate the lessons of experience. American troops in Iraq have seen first hand the consequences of U.S. led "democratization" in the region. The Israeli/Palestinian conflict seems intractable, and U.S. efforts in recent years have only inflamed the situation. The footprints America follows have led us into the same quagmire that swallowed our European forerunners. Peace and prosperity for the region are nowhere in sight.

This cogent and highly accessible book provides the historical and cultural perspective so vital to understanding our present situation and to finding and pursuing a more effective and just foreign policy.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:08 -0400)

"Begun as the United States moved its armed forces into Iraq, Rashid Khalidi's book examines the record of Western involvement in the region and analyzes the likely outcome of our most recent Middle East incursions. Drawing on his encyclopedic knowledge of the political and cultural history of the entire region as well as interviews and documents, Khalidi paints a chilling scenario of our present situation and yet offers a tangible alternative that can help us find the path to peace rather than Empire."--BOOK JACKET.

Beacon Press

2 editions of this book were published by Beacon Press.

Editions: 0807002356, 0807002348

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,079,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible