Off to Be the Wizard by Scott Meyer

Off to Be the Wizard

by Scott Meyer

3482044,981 (3.61)21

Amusing story, but with several problems that really detracted from the fun for me. I'll keep this vague and no spoilers beyond the first couple chapters (and I'll avoid specifics anyway).
First, a fundamental flaw with the premise, when the entire concept hinges on changing a file and the protagonist soon goes where he has no possible cell connection, wifi, etc., absolutely no way to affect the file. He discovers others who are also making edits with no possible way of doing so. A major complication that affects time travel stories is simply hand-waved away.
Second, the people making the changes are at least average intelligence, and probably above. Yet, they continually make the most stupid and obvious mistakes as the easiest way to progress the story. A bit more work to show they were acting reasonably but still thwarted would have made the whole thing less frustrating for the reader. This is THEIR environment; I shouldn't be constantly waiting for them to realize something obvious.
Third, the premise is fascinating but wasn't fully explored (presumably to leave plenty of room for sequels), and the main characters haven't even followed a few of the implications very far, although they've had plenty of time to do so.
Versions: The voice acting on the audio version was good. The illustrations in the "Kindle in Motion" animated print version were adequate (not all chapters contained illustrations, and only about half of those contained animation), although perhaps carrying through the 8-bit style of the cover would have been more amusing.
Some fun to be had, but a great premise undermined by a disappointing execution. ( )
  Shijuro | Jun 5, 2018 |
I liked this rather improbable flight of fantasy enough to put the next book in the series on my audible wishlist. I think my favorite part was Luke Daniels' narration. Enough geek references to make me snerk. ( )
  bookczuk | Jun 5, 2018 |
This was "lite" and funny and pretty original. I did it on audio which made it more fun because the narrator was great. At first I thought it was kind of boring, but the characters really grew on me after a while. The structure was kind of unique. It seemed like at about the 75% mark it could have ended, but that made you realized there really wasn't any "tension" up to that point most of it had just been exploratory. Then, cue minor key music and you start worrying.

Phillip was my favorite character. His constant quips about how much he hated Jimmy were the best. ( )
  ragwaine | Jun 2, 2018 |
This book was so much fun to read! It was recommended to me by a gamer/ DND friend. I'm reading the whole series now! ( )
  SoubhiKiewiet | Mar 20, 2018 |
Though not a lot of depth in the story bus quite a good read. Entertaining with a twist. ( )
  jaeger84 | Jan 13, 2018 |
Terror.

It's a simple story. Boy finds proof that reality is a computer program. Boy uses program to manipulate time and space. Boy gets in trouble. Boy flees back in time to Medieval England to live as a wizard while he tries to think of a way to fix things. Boy gets in more trouble.

Oh, and boy meets girl at some point.

Off to Be the Wizard is a fun, comedic novel about computers, time travel, and human stupidity, written by Scott Meyer, the creator of the internationally known comic strip Basic Instructions.

Magic will be made! Legends will be created! Stew will be eaten!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:31 -0400)

Martin Banks is just a normal guy who has made an abnormal discovery: he can manipulate reality, thanks to reality being nothing more than a computer program. With every use of this ability, though, Martin finds his little tweaks have not escaped notice. Rather than face prosecution, he decides instead to travel back in time to the Middle Ages and pose as a wizard. What could possibly go wrong? An American hacker in King Arthur's court, Martin must now train to become a full-fledged master of his powers, discover the truth behind the ancient wizard Merlin . . . and not, y'know, die or anything.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,950,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible