For Honor We Stand (Man of War, #2) by H.…

For Honor We Stand (Man of War, #2) (edition 2014)

by H. Paul Honsinger

Member:johnryden
Title:For Honor We Stand (Man of War, #2)
Authors:H. Paul Honsinger
Info:47North, Kindle Edition, 510 pages
Tags:Amazon

For Honor We Stand by H. Paul Honsinger

This is an excellent sequel to the first book, To Honor You Call Us, in the Man of War series. The book continues the adventures of Max and Sahin as they combat, not only the Krag but also the all too common incompetent officers, appointed by political maneuvering rather than actual merit and competence, within their own navy.

It has all the good parts of the previous book. The dialog is sometimes quite fun to read. The characters are likable. Heck I even like the loud-mouthed Admiral. There is a fair amount of action which is also reasonably well done.

The book is advancing the story in a nice way and setting the stage for the next book quite well without feeling like a middle-in-the-series kind of book. The interactions with the Vaach are quite entertaining and did put a nice twist to the story so far.

I enjoyed this book immensely. The only negative thing I can say about it is that I wished that the idiot Duflot would have been given the public chewing that he deserved. I would have liked the Admiral to tell him exactly where he could stuff his attitude with Max and a few others present. Instead his reassignment was more or less glossed over in a few sentences after it had happened.

Well, you cannot have everything and I am certainly looking forward to the next installment in this series.
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |
The continuing adventures of Max Robichaux and the USS Cumberland as it does battle with the Krag. This was a fun action filled read that finished up in a small cliffhanger leading into the the next book in the series. For those reading along, you will find all the protagonists introduced in the first book in lots of new action scenes. I will say that their were some things about the book that I could have done with a little less of, one being the continued scenes where the Doctor is shown as a clueless idiot in regard to naval activities and at the same time held up as a highly observant overachiever in many other areas. Hopefully the author will let the almost snide and somewhat sarcastic comments regarding this die off in the the third book as this lowered my rating on this book. Still a fun read though.

4 Stars for a good read and recommended for those reading the series. ( )
  ConalO | Apr 23, 2018 |
I've got to admit, I mostly enjoyed the first book in this series except for a couple of things I viewed as minor flaws. Well, in this book, they become MAJOR flaws, so much so that I couldn't finish it and just put it away forever. Here are the two things. It's set centuries into the future and apparently, much of the crew were either born on the ship or born on ships and have been in space on ships for their whole lives. Centuries in the future. Yet it seems that every other page, there's a pop culture reference back to 20th Century Earth, particularly America. So, say in 2700 AD, people will know the lines from Beatles songs??? Do we know pop culture from 1100 AD? We know some history, sure, but do we refer to it every 10 minutes, every day of our lives? Of course not! Then there is the beloved idiot doctor, who doesn't understand anything that's not medicine or somewhat scientific. Like nothing about the military or engineering or anything, so what you have is an entire info dump thing with this Dr. Sahin, where whenever something happened at all, some other character would explain everything to him as though he were a middle schooler. The supposed "genius" on the ship. That bugged the SHIT out of me! Max is eternally lecturing Sahin on what this is or what that does or why we do things this way, etc. How in the hell did he get any degrees, let alone advanced degrees??? Seems like everyone on the ship knows more than this guy. I have, according to Goodreads, 187 books to read while I'm reading allegedly 172. (I've finished most of those, but haven't written reviews yet. I'm only in 40 or so at the moment.) If I've got that many books to read, and many are quite large and very technical, why in the hell would I give this author another chance??? I assume there's a Book 3 out or coming out. I don't intend to read it. I will, however, keep up with this author and read some reviews sometime down the road. If it seems like there's been an improvement, who knows? I may give him one more shot. This book though? Not recommended. ( )
  scottcholstad | Nov 30, 2017 |
I was worried that I had not read the first book in this series. Turns out that was not a problem. I was worried that a military sci-fi book would not be in my range finder. Turns out that was not a problem. I was worried that all we were going to get were intense blast-them-out-of-the-sky battles. Turns out that, too, was not a problem. What we have is a wang-doodle space opera. Lots of action, humor, character development, with one flaw. No women. No women on a futuristic space vessel? The author explains this very late in the book. I loved reading this book but I am still finding that aspect lame. I'll just go back to polishing my ray gun now. My thanks to the author and Goodreads for a complimentary copy of this work. ( )
  musichick52 | Aug 24, 2014 |
For Honor We Stand is the second novel of the Man of War trilogy; the first is To Honor You Call Us. If you like military science fiction, don’t miss these.
These are Honsinger’s first novels, but you would never know it. The writing is excellent. Many aspects of the characters and the political situation are only revealed as the story unfolds, rather than being thrown at you in pages of expository prose.
The plot is basic - implacable aliens out to destroy humankind - but the details are fascinating. There are detailed ship-to-ship and small unit actions enough to satisfy Honor Harrington fans.
The naval lore is fascinating, both the old terrestrial navy traditions that have survived, and the new traditions of the Union Navy. Honsinger openly acknowledges his debt to Patrick O’Brian, and this might appeal to those who ordinarily aren’t big SF fans.
The third volume, Brothers in Valor, is due out later in 2014. ( )
  WaltNoise | Apr 6, 2014 |

H. Paul Honsingerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Molica, GeneCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 148268585X, Paperback)

Max is back! Captain Max Robichaux, Doctor Ibrahim Sahin, and the crew of the Union Space Navy Khyber Class Destroyer, USS Cumberland, return for more dangerous missions in For Honor We Stand, Volume II of the Man of War trilogy, the exciting sequel to the military science-fiction best-seller To Honor You Call Us. The date is March 15, 2315. The Earth Union has been at war with the Krag Hegemony for more than thirty years. The Krag are slowly winning. With less than two months of warship command under his belt, 28 year old Captain Max Robichaux faces a series of challenges that would daunt the fleet’s most experienced skippers. His trials include playing a life and death game of hide and seek among the complex moon system of an exotic alien planet, defending a critical diplomatic convoy against ruthless Krag assault, and working with allied commanders to save their moored fleet from a Pearl Harbor-like sneak attack. And, when he isn’t dodging nuclear-tipped missiles and pulse cannon blasts, the young skipper must navigate his way through encounters with dangerous and advanced aliens, thorny crew training and proficiency issues, clashes with superiors, and a below-decks conspiracy that threatens the lives of every man on board. Meanwhile, Doctor Sahin receives a coded message summoning him to a secret meeting that could forge an alliance changing the balance of power in Known Space. But, first, he has to get past the fighter ships and heavily armed special forces troops of the traitorous Emir trying to kill him before he can even sit down at the negotiating table. On the heels of these adventures, both men must call upon their developing skills and their growing friendship to bear the burden of carrying between the Krag Hegemony and the Earth Union a fateful ultimatum and the shocking answer: an answer that could spell eternal slavery, or even extinction, for all mankind. For Honor We Stand is a twenty-fourth century swashbuckler, combining elements of Military Science Fiction, Space Opera and the classic English novels about the Age of Sail into what the authors call “Space Naval Fiction.” It is both timeless and futuristic: the age old tale of men going to war in ships--played out, not on the Earth’s turbulent oceans, but in the cold, dark, vast battleground of space. For Honor We Stand is a full length, 154,000 + word novel and is the second volume of the Man of War trilogy. The third volume, Brothers in Valor, is planned for release in mid-2013. After completion of the Man of War series, the authors plan many more books following the further adventures of Captain Robichaux and Doctor Sahin. The next trilogy is tentatively entitled The Sting of Battle. Its first volume, now with the working title of Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat is currently planned for release in late 2013 or early 2014.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:39 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,571,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible