Simplicity by Edward De Bono

Simplicity (original 1998; edition 1998)

by Edward De Bono

Edward de Bono is the bestselling author of Teach Yourself to Think, Six Thinking Hats, and Water Logic. With this book, he aims to show how a lateral thinking approach can simplify a complex matter.
Member:raany
Title:Simplicity
Authors:Edward De Bono
Info:London ; New York : Viking, 1998.

Simplicity by Edward de Bono (1998)

A short, easy to read book on the virtue and value of the simple. It's not as easy as it seems, and there are always trade-offs. Simple for whom? the producer or the user? The employer or the employee? Complexity is rarely desired, yet is surprisingly hard to eliminate. I'm only giving it 3 stars, as it rambles a lot, and maybe this book only needed to be 50 pages, and de Bono is getting old and a bit cranky. Still, worth the read if you like this kind of thing.
3 stars oc ( )
  starcat | Aug 11, 2014 |
Have you ever given up trying to programme your video recorder or use a feature on your computer because the instructions are so complicated? Or wondered why it is so difficult to fill a tax form?
Modern life can be unnecessarily frustrating. Needless systems, processes, legislation and red-tape only serve to increase our anxiety. Here Edward de Bono, the originator of lateral thinking, shows us how we can bring a little simplicity into our complex lives.
The challenge of achieving simplicity requires a lot of creative techniques, including historical review, which asks whether something we traditionally take for granted is still necessary; shedding, where we eliminate what cannot be justified; bulk and exceptions, which deals separately with majority and extreme cases; and reframing, which can make us realize we are seeking solutions to a non-problem.
Edward de Bono concludes his thought-provoking study with ten rules for simplicity, and ground-breaking plans for an Institute of Simplicity and National Simplicity Campaign.
  rajendran | Mar 5, 2007 |

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,299,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible