dismiss

Armada (Hardcover)--by Ernest Cline [2015…

Armada (Hardcover)--by Ernest Cline [2015 Edition]

2,1891964,938 (3.25)106
"THE NEW NOVEL FROM THE BESTSELLING AUTHOR OF READY PLAYER ONE It's just another day of high school for Zack Lightman. He's daydreaming through another boring math class, with just one more month to go until graduation and freedom--if he can make it that long without getting suspended again. Then he glances out his classroom window and spots the flying saucer. At first, Zack thinks he's going crazy. A minute later, he's sure of it. Because the UFO he's staring at is straight out of the videogame he plays every night, a hugely popular online flight simulator called Armada--in which gamers just happen to be protecting the earth from alien invaders. But what Zack's seeing is all too real. And his skills--as well as those of millions of gamers across the world--are going to be needed to save the earth from what's about to befall it. Yet even as he and his new comrades scramble to prepare for the alien onslaught, Zack can't help thinking of all the science-fiction books, TV shows, and movies he grew up reading and watching, and wonder: Doesn't something about this scenario seem a little too... familiar? Armada is at once a rollicking, surprising thriller, a classic coming of age adventure, and an alien-invasion tale like nothing you've ever read before--one whose every page is infused with author Ernest Cline's trademark pop-culture savvy"--… (more)
Member:dharding
Title:Armada (Hardcover)--by Ernest Cline [2015 Edition]
Authors:
Info:Ernest Cline (no date)
Tags:2020

Armada by Ernest Cline

Recently added byprivate library, Emvignya, ReadingProjects, PyroCat, NicoT, fiercebunny, mirrorlake, enkdindleThis
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (brakketh)
    brakketh: Both books focus on 1980s culture, similar narrative ark for isolated teen to hero.
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    The Roar by Emma Clayton (Cecrow)
    Tin Men by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)
    Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson (psybre)
    psybre: Highly recommended for readers who love video games and science fiction and geek. No military/space wars in the plot, but an entertaining and unique one instead.

English (185)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (189)
My reactions to this book were like a roller coaster.

I start off with a good and heavy dose of nostalgia, which is fine, but when the Zack starts down the long twisty road of father issues, I follow him down for a good long time without much worries. When it goes down the rabbit hole, then I started going, "Eh?" Do kids anywhere go as far to setting up a veritable shrine to all the things that dear departed dad used to be heavy into?

So I take a step back, put on my suspenders of rebriefing, and enjoy the nostalgia without worrying too much about Zack's insanity quotient. Everything is good again.

Honestly, I was a little worried that I'd be disappointed with a novel blatantly riffing off The Last Starfighter, but I shouldn't have worried. Mr. Cline expands and makes the whole universe his own, with updated tech, MMOs, and tons of righteous personality. I'm into it. And I'm even more into it when the war starts, Zack fucks up, and Zack saves the day, picking up a girlfriend along the way that's much smarter than he is, and they're both happy that it's so. Love during wartime. No messy relationship conflict necessary. It was refreshing, and all the conversations are light, bordering on snarky. It's just that kind of novel.

I'm still well on-board.

Then daddy issues get complicated, showing us a brand new depth that hero worship can send a kid if he has a usb key with almost two decades of letters from papa. I groaned. Zack doesn't decide to pass on them for a more fortunate time. He obsesses. I start losing it, again.

Not to worry, though, the war is still going strong and all things and all manner of things are well... until my cart takes a super deep dive into magical happy ending land. Don't get me wrong. I love my happy endings. But I love them more when they're not had at the expense of credulity. I mean, sure, we have plenty of cues throughout, from the official backstory of the MMO game sets, the complaints everyone seems to have about "reasons" for aliens invading Earth, IE., "Why? Why bother?", etc., but in the end, we do get an answer, and the answer isn't quite the mind blowing one I was rather expecting.

It brought me down. Sure, the massive dead count does count for a happy ending, but it's the "reason" that really disappoints. It's fine for those people who like a good meta. I enjoyed the reason for the meta that it is. I just don't think it belonged in this otherwise fast and easy and engaging read that made me feel giddy and good and excited. I felt like I was in the middle of the action and I was enjoying myself a great deal, after all.

If the novel didn't have the likeable characters, the sharp dialog, or the engaging story, I'd have easily given this a two star rating rather than a four. If we hadn't gone so repetitively into the daddy issues, while retaining the meta, I'd probably have given this book a five. Meta isn't a big problem. It just marred what I considered a very very close shot to being an utterly breakaway awesome novel that would deserve to be on the bestseller list for 40 weeks and be loved by as many people who loved Ready Player One.

Like me.

I'm just saying.
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Not Ready Player One

Some parts of the narrative feel forced. For instance, why are he and his father naturally better at video games? And how is the Admiral better than the young guy?

It felt like the author wanted to tell a particular story and then had to manipulate the plot to fit. Even more than the manipulation the 'enemy' was using against the EDA. The romance/relationship stuff seemed superficial. Lex was only important to provide the hacking skills; the 'instant' attraction was confusing. The scene itself was amusing, but it didn't fully make sense.

If you like old video games or SF movies, there is tons of trivia. But nothing else really works well. ( )
  wildwily | May 28, 2020 |
Most no mistake about it, this is no Ready Player One. It has a similar feel at the beginning, but detours wildly.

In my opinion, RPO was flawless. This book is anything but...the writing feels weak in areas and the main character is super annoying at times. There is also very little character development outside the main character. This book felt rushed and should have been twice as long.

However, I really liked it. I couldn't put it down. Once the story started really revealing itself, I found it extremely compelling.

If you can make it passed the beginning (which I'll admit is quite difficult), it gets really good. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
Not Ready Player One

wildwily | May 28, 2020 |
I was so disappointed in Cline's second book. I loved Ready Player One and was sucked in to that world so quickly. I found little to love about Armada. I just felt like everything was too generalized and vague for me to find something to connect to and grab on. The time frame is so short - the whole story takes places in 48 hours - and so many things happen that I couldn't fully process anything. Part of the issue for me was the narration of Zack; instead of sounding like an adult author writing an 18 year-old's perspective, it just sounded like an 18 year-old.

I think the idea was a good one but unfortunately it wasn't executed super well. If you want to read Ernest Cline, go pick up Ready Player One and leave Armada behind. ( )
  bookishtexpat | May 21, 2020 |

Spratt, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

The only legitimate use of a computer is to play games. --Eugene Jaris, creator of Defender
For Major Eric T. Cline, USMC

The bravest person I have ever known

Semper Fi, little brother
I was staring out the classroom window and daydreaming of adventure when I spotted the flying saucer.

Zack Lightman has spent his life dreaming. Dreaming that the real world could be a little more like the countless science-fiction books, movies, and videogames he’s spent his life consuming. Dreaming that one day, some fantastic, world-altering event will shatter the monotony of his humdrum existence and whisk him off on some grand space-faring adventure.

But hey, there’s nothing wrong with a little escapism, right? After all, Zack tells himself, he knows the difference between fantasy and reality. He knows that here in the real world, aimless teenage gamers with anger issues don’t get chosen to save the universe.

And then he sees the flying saucer.

Even stranger, the alien ship he’s staring at is straight out of the videogame he plays every night, a hugely popular online flight simulator called Armada—in which gamers just happen to be protecting the earth from alien invaders.

No, Zack hasn’t lost his mind. As impossible as it seems, what he’s seeing is all too real. And his skills—as well as those of millions of gamers across the world—are going to be needed to save the earth from what’s about to befall it.

It’s Zack’s chance, at last, to play the hero. But even through the terror and exhilaration, he can’t help thinking back to all those science-fiction stories he grew up with, and wondering: Doesn’t something about this scenario seem a little…familiar?

At once gleefully embracing and brilliantly subverting science-fiction conventions as only Ernest Cline could, Armada is a rollicking, surprising thriller, a classic coming of age adventure, and an alien invasion tale like nothing you’ve ever read before—one whose every page is infused with the pop-culture savvy that has helped make Ready Player One a phenomenon.**

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,810,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible