HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Enchantress Returns (The Land of…

The Enchantress Returns (The Land of Stories, #2) (edition 2013)

by Chris Colfer

Against the will of their grandmother, twins Alex and Conner must find their own way into the Land of Stories to rescue their mother and save the fairy tale world from the greatest threat it has ever faced--the return of the Enchantress who cursed Sleeping Beauty.
Member:SVasara
Title:The Enchantress Returns (The Land of Stories, #2)
Authors:Chris Colfer
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, Kindle Edition, 521 pages
Tags:to-read

Work Information

The Enchantress Returns by Chris Colfer

English (30)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (31)
The second book of the series raises stakes through the roof as Colfer brings the Enchantress into play. This is the evil fairy of Sleeping Beauty fame, who cursed her with a spinning wheel, a hundred year sleep and a forest of thorns. As it turns out (in this telling), she was also responsible for another curse, the one that made the Beast into a Beast if you know who I mean. The Enchantress humbles not just the other fairies who oppose her, but the entire set of kingdoms, and she does it effortlessly. It's clear that the entire Land of Stories is about to fall under her sway, and she hints that Earth is next. It's up to Alex and Conner to dream up a solution

Certainly it makes sense to aim for a bigger story in the second novel of a series, but this? Putting everything and everybody on the line, in both worlds? It felt a little over the top, and I can't imagine what's left for the third book, let alone the rest of the series. I'm also not impressed with the paint-by-numbers collect-the-things quest that exactly parallels the first book's adventure. Doesn't matter, my kids loved it anyway.

I was surprised when Lucy Pevensie made a cameo. Unlike the other stories Colfer borrows from, I'm certain Narnia is still protected by copyright in the United States. ( )
  Cecrow | Sep 10, 2022 |
This is the second book in the Land of Stories series. I really enjoyed reading more about twins, Alex and Connor, and this time, they need to save the Fairytale Land from an evil Enchantress.
The characters of the book, were so often hilarious, and I really enjoyed the interweaving of different Fairytale characters with one another. It was
a lot of fun. ( )
  deaflower | Jan 17, 2022 |
I liked this one MUCH better than the first one. I had trouble putting this one down. ( )
  KimZoot | Jan 2, 2022 |
I really love this book. I love the series. I'm a big fan of fairy tales. It's not dumbed down at all. It's witty and adventurous. ( )
  Teri_O | Nov 11, 2020 |
So the Enchantress who cursed Sleeping Beauty is back for revenge. She will stop at nothing to get all the kingdoms in Fairy Tale land to bow to her and give her their thrones. Little is she expecting the twins to show up or Alex to stand up to her.

Wow, what a lot of action and adventure in this rollicking tale. Fairy Godmother is trying to keep Alex and Connor safe but they are determined to get back to the Land of Stories by any method possible even if it means tricking Mother Goose. They manage to get back and start the quest to stop the Enchantress. They meet up again with old friends who help them on their quest. Even the trolls and goblins are not what they expect. Unexpected twists happen throughout their quest and this story. I could not put it down. I loved reacquainting myself the with characters and meeting some new ones. Some give a little towards the quest and some give all. Well worth reading! ( )
  Sheila1957 | Mar 27, 2020 |
Once Upon a Time meets Magic Treehouse in one of my favorite re-imagined fairytale series.

I love the way Colfer kind of turned these classic stories on their heads and how two stories you would never think to connect are intertwined. It's truly creative without losing the original stories integrity. For example, Rumpelstilskin is the youngest brother to the 7 dwarves. Jack from the beanstalk is dating Goldilocks. Red Riding Hood is a queen and the Evil Queen wasn't as evil as once thought.

Esmia the Enchantress is an ex-fairy who had been on the fairy council and was the Fairy Godmothers heir. Sleeping Beauty's grandmother is the first Queen Beauty. Her husband was cursed as the Beast by the Enchantress Esmia because he didn't love her. Queen Beauty broke the curse by loving the Beast. After that failure, the Enchantress cursed the Beauty family with spinning wheels because the grandma Beauty was a spinner of silver before she met the Beast.

Esmia is back and she has resumed her hobby of collecting souls and planning to conquer the fairytale world and the real world as well. In order to do this she has to master the 7 deadly sins and conquer the fairytale worlds past, present, and future to create a portal to the real world.

The unlikeliest crew of characters, Queen Red Riding Hood, Froggy (Prince Charlie), Goldilock's, Jack (from the beanstalk), Alex, and Conner, get together and work to gather the items needed to beat the Enchantress before she takes over all of the fairytale world and becomes unstoppable.

Between Queen Red Riding Hood and Goldilocks's catty exchanges and Conner's snarky observations and interpretation of the stories, I laughed out loud a lot while listening to this audiobook.

There's a great lesson about compassion and forgiveness and that great power comes in small packages. What kings and queens could not defeat, a single kind girl succeeded. The only thing I don't care for is the language. I don't see how cuss words further a fairytale much less why they'd be in a book kids read. I'm an adult so it won't keep me from reading this series. The adventure and story is so good it outweighs a couple cuss words for an adult reader, but it may be a deal breaker for some parents. Happy reading! 📚

Chris Colferprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dorman, BrandonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything."
- Albert Einstein
To Hannah, for being the bravest, strongest, and most honest person I know, and for showing that it's impossible to be "cursed" when one has a heart as courageous as yours. Also, for giving me my first black eye - you were four, I was nine. It still hurts. Bubba loves you.
The East was in a period of great celebration.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,773,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible