Etched in Sand: A True Story of Five Siblings Who Survived an Unspeakable… (2013)

by Regina Calcaterra

Calcaterra and her siblings endured a series of foster homes and intermittent homelessness in the shadow of the Hamptons. She managed to rise above her past while fighting to keep her brother and three sisters together. An unforgettable reminder that, regardless of social status, the American dream is still within reach for those who have the desire and the determination to succeed.… (more)

"Etched in Sand" tells a haunting biography of the author's childhood through mistreatment, abuse, and homelessness. It tells the story of five siblings dealing with an abusive, addicted mother who often left them to fend for themselves in trailer parks, abandoned homes, and homeless shelters. Calcaterra and her siblings lied, stole, and made up stories to explain the marks of their abuse, until Calcaterra was emancipated and went to live with a foster family. She continues her education and studies to become a New York state official.
Calcaterra keeps her story very realistic and includes blunt details. Although there are many heavy descriptions of abuse and mistreatment, "Etched in Sand" provides a new perspective for many and inspires people to avoid taking their own lives for granted. ( )
  sarah.lynch | Nov 7, 2019 |
Regina Calcaterra tells the story of her horrific childhood and how she persevered to get past the pain in her life. All parts of the book are gripping as she writes about different parts of her life. Although it's difficult to imagine children living this way with a parent that cares so little, it's a story worth reading. I especially enjoyed hearing about the people that tried to help them and Regina's life today. ( )
  Beth.Clarke | Jun 28, 2019 |
Not the usual book to my taste but this one sucked me in and stayed up the whole night reading it -- I couldn't put it down. Really impressive that children who have had such a terrible childhood were able to overcome it. But they did get some care at various points, such as good teachers. But children are so vulnerable that the mistreatment of them truly breaks my heart. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Jun 13, 2019 |
Incredible story of 5 children who bonded together to survive a horrible childhood at the hands of an alcoholic, abusive mother. Amazing story of strength and managing through social services and the foster care system in the US. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
Etched in Sand is one of the best books I have ever read. It is an emotional roller coaster toying with the emotions of anger, sadness and happiness. It is hard to believe that the novel is a true story. The book allows its readers to have a new appreciation for life. The characters are also very relatable and allow the reader to be able to identify with at least one of them. The most significant question that lingers in the back of readers minds is " What would I do in a situation like this?" ( )
  hterryyy | Oct 20, 2018 |
To Cherie, Camille, Norman, and Roseanne -- may we always continue laughing and dancing, together.
To the hundreds of thousands of children in the U.S. who are either abused, in foster are, or homeless.  The journey is long and often dark but you must believe in your light--you have so much to offer.
I hadn't seen New York City this still since 9/11.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,572,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible