Clockwork Fairy Tales: A Collection of…

Clockwork Fairy Tales: A Collection of Steampunk Fables

by Stephen L. Antczak, James C. Bassett (Editor)

Other authors: Pip Ballantine (Contributor), Nancy A. Collins (Contributor), Paul di Filippo (Contributor), Steven Harper (Contributor), G. K. Hayes (Contributor)4 more, K. W. Jeter (Contributor), Jay Lake (Contributor), Gregory Nicoll (Contributor), Kat Richardson (Contributor)

I think this anthology is definitely worth a read, more good than bad. With anthologies I usually just post my notes from each story (and my rating on a 10-point scale) and they usually have spoilers to remind me of what he story was about. So beware: SPOILERS

K.W. Jeter - La Valse (7.0) Rich people are a-holes and they die horribly in the clockwork dance machine - just like they should.

Jay Lake - You Will Attend Until Beauty Awakens (7.0) Liked the writing, setting and characters but the ending wasn't really a surprise. Also not sure why everyone in the castle fell asleep instead of just her.

Kat Richardsons - The Hollow Hounds (7.5) This was fun with all the mechanical contraptions. I still don't understand where the music box originally came from. Liked the period and the scar where he had to wind himself up.

Paul Di Filippo - The King of the Golden Mountain (8.0) Great writing, cool idea. Invention puts souls into other bodies. Takes over Ulysses Grant to become president.

G.K. Hayes - The Clockwork Suit (6.0) Good story but the ending is pretty lame. No big surprise and not much closure.

Gregory Nicoll - The Steampiper, the Stovepiper, and the Pied Piper of New Hamelin, Texas (6.5) This works as a pulpy adventure story but the ending is kind of disturbing just to make a joke. The girl needed to be older.

Pip Ballantine - The Mechanical Wings (8.0) Cool floating cities, "countries" named after birds, cool magic/clockwork mix. Very fairy tale feel but not too lite.

Nancy A. Collins - Mose and the Automatic Fireman (7.0) Very cool setting. He's basically a superhero and a legend. Fun.

Steven Harper - Fair Vasyl (6.0) Not bad but seemed kinda light. Steampunk elements seemed kinda forced. Broom was too powerful solved all problems. ( )
  ragwaine | Apr 17, 2014 |
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's GuestvReviewer - Michelle M:
*ARC received from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review

This book is a collection of Steampunk Fables based on fairy tales. These stories take you back to a time long ago but with a twist. I loved them. My favorite would be You Will Attend Until Beauty Awakens. This one is based on Sleeping Beauty and I just loved the story. Each of the Fables in this book stick to your mind and you will always remember them and I love that about a book that I read. So many times you can forget what the books were about but this one will always stick.

The technology in these makes a person like me, 'a tech nerd', happy and learning about Steampunk was a great experience for me. You had gears, laboratories, mechanical dogs and treasure. You get a little and a lot all at the same time. Short stories but great on detail and Steampunk goodness. This was my first book on Steampunk and I will definitely be checking out more of this genre now that I got to get into the worlds in each of these Fables.

LITERAL ADDICTION's Guest Reviewergives Clockwork Fairy Tales 4 Skulls. ( )
  LITERALADDICTION | Jun 1, 2013 |

Jeter, K. W.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lake, JayContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nicoll, GregoryContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Richardson, KatContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"Fairy tales turn steampowered in this collection of short stories by some of today's best science fiction and fantasy authors including: Jay Lake - Sleeping Beauty (Charles Perrault) Kat Richardson - The Tinderbox (Hans Christian Anderson) Paul Di Filippo - The King of the Gold Mountain (The Brothers Grimm) K. W. Jeter - The Red Shoes (Hans Christian Anderson) Steven Harper - Baba Yaga (Russian folk tale) Philippa Balantine - The Wild Swans (Hans Christian Anderson) And more"--… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,792,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible