Skin in the Game by Jackie Barbosa

Skin in the Game

by Jackie Barbosa

Series: Play Action

Fun, easy read with hot NFL stars and a hometown girl that knows her football. Loved the not over-angsty story line and the HEA. No guessing, no cheating, no crazy ex-girlfriends. One creepy co-worker and a whole lot of love and steamy sex. A great in-between angst read. ( )
  sharonhd | Mar 13, 2014 |
This was a really well done sports romance. Sometimes there're sports romances where you wonder where the part about the sport is but not in this one. The author found a good balance between the romance and sports parts.

Angie, the heroine, is a reputable and modest high school teacher and an assistant football coach for the high school team. She likes to take care of things and so she still lives with her dad to look after him.
The hero, Cade, is an injured NFL quarterback who was asked to take over as interim head coach. That's the position Angie wants. Well, you can see the conflict, right? They both know each other from back in high school even though Cade doesn't recognize Angie at first because she has changed quite a bit. I really liked the way the story went. There wasn't any real fighting over this position, no immature handling or stupid decisions. They rather got to know each other and fell in love.

I wish the author would have gone more into detail at times. For example, it was mentioned in one sentence that Cade was addicted to pain killers and beat that habit quickly. I wanted to know more about this time.
But nevertheless, I really enjoyed this book and I'm looking forward to the next in the series.

(A review copy was provided by the publisher through NetGalley.) ( )
  ClaudiaGC | Sep 21, 2013 |
I am not a fan of American football and I haven't read a lot of sports related romance so this is an unfamiliar genre for me. This turned out to be really quick read for me. I liked the plot and I am a sucker for ugly duckling type of romance so I loved reading about Angie and Cade.

Angie is the typical ugly duckling who blossomed into a swan and who had a crush on Cade back in high school. Cade, the star quarterback naturally does not pay any attention to her. Fast forward sixteen years and Cade is a quarterback in the NFL who was injured and is unable to play when he returns to his hometown and met Angela. Sparks begin to fly with Angie, not expecting anything but a one night stand. Further sparks fly when it is then revealed that Cade is there to take over as head coach, with Angie being the assistant coach for the local team.

I liked the story, however this ended up as an okay story for me. I thought there lacked something else to drive the story and it felt rushed with everything falling neatly into place, lacking any real conflict. It wasn't as hot as I expected a Brazen title to be and a Jackie Barbosa novel. ( )
  zeeelicious | Aug 12, 2013 |
love Entangled Publishing's Brazen books, so I was excited to be able to read Skin in the Game. This is the first novel I have read by Jackie Barbosa, and I really did enjoy it and look forward to reading more from her. When Cade Reynolds, former high school football player and NFL superstar finds himself back in Harper Falls to help his old coach out for a few weeks while recovering from an injury, the last thing he expects to see while at the local coffee shop is a beautiful blonde who definitely could be a supermodel, and is most possibly the most beautiful woman he has ever seen. The last thing Angie Peterson expects when she walks in the coffee shop is to see Cade Reynolds, NFL superstar, and her secret crush when she was in high school, and she certainly doesn't expect him to ask her out. Cade obviously doesn't remember her, and Angie wants to keep it that way, thinking if he remembered the geeky, ugly girl she was in high school he wouldn't want anything to do with her. Cade has always remembered a geeky girl from high school who knew football and was quite the strategist when it came to plays. In fact, he credits her as playing a big part in his getting into the NFL to begin with. After a night of passion, Angie sneaks out while Cade is asleep, having convinced herself that is the best thing to do because their worlds are too different for it to be anything else. When Cade shows up at "her" high school as interim coach of "her" team team, things really begin to get interesting, and they both find themselves part of a game that has a whole lot more to do with it than just football. Who will be the victor, however, is something that remains to be seen.

Skin in the Game is a hot, sexy, romance, and also a really great story. The plot was great and Jackie Barbosa certainly knows how to deliver the sizzle. Cade Reynolds was one of those dream guys you would just die for. He's is super hot, oozes with sex appeal, and knows how to talk dirty in the best of ways. Angie Peterson is beautiful, smart, talented, and knows football better than most men. She doesn't realize just how beautiful she is, which makes her that much more attractive to Cade, who has dated more than his share of supermodels. Their relationship on and off the field is intense, to say the least. The sports them combined with the romance makes Skin in the Game a interesting, fun, and really sexy read, and one that I would definitely recommend to all romance fans. ( )
  alwaysyaatheart | Jun 1, 2013 |
Skin in the Game by Jackie Barbosa is a Play Action novel (first in a series?) about Angela Peterson and Cade Reynolds. Cade is an NFL football player who has been out due to injury over the past two years he comes back to his hometown in Minnesota to help coach his old High School football team.
Angela is a football strategist genius. She has loved football since she was little and sat on her dads lap every week watching football together. She is not only a mathematics teacher at the high school, but also the head coach of the football team while the regular coach is out on medical league.
They run into each other at a coffee shop and so begins their turbulent interactions.
I liked this book very much. I don't really care about football either way, but this isn't a romance book about football, it's just a romance book about people and they happen to be all about football.
It was nice seeing a female being successful and dominant in an almost completely male role. It also showed the typical jackass responses from small minded sexist co-worker. It wouldn't be believeable if there wasn't at least one jackass.
She wouldn't lie to herself. There was no future here. This could only turn out one way - badly. And she couldn't bring herself to give a damn.

It was the kiss she'd waited for all her life - an exquisite blend of give and take, of hard and soft, of sweet and dirty. Everything she'd ever dreamed a kiss could be, and yet nothing she'd ever imagined in her wildest fantasies. ( )
  Lisa.Hines | May 17, 2013 |

Angela Peterson was always the quiet, shy kid growing up in Harper Falls, crushing on the high school quarterback and honing her football strategy skills. Now grown up and coaching the high school team, she’s shocked when that same sexy quarterback returns to Harper Falls asks her back to his hotel room. And then tries to steal her job.

Injured NFL quarterback Cade Reynolds is in Harper Falls to take over as interim head coach, and he never thought the tall, blond bombshell he propositioned would offer up any resistance. Not to a repeat of the amazingly wild night they shared and certainly not to his coaching position.

But the Harper Falls High Eagles are Angie’s team, and even the hometown hero won’t take that away from her, no matter how hot he is. As the two engage in a battle of wits and wills, this is one game neither is prepared to lose.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,583,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible