Red Rising (Red Rising Saga, #1) by Pierce…

Red Rising (Red Rising Saga, #1) (edition 2014)

by Pierce Brown

Series: Red Rising Saga (1)

7,5194101,233 (3.98)249
Darrow is a Red, a member of the lowest caste in the color-coded society of the future. Like his fellow Reds, he works all day, believing that he and his people are making the surface of Mars livable for future generations. Yet he spends his life willingly, knowing that his blood and sweat will one day result in a better world for his children. But Darrow and his kind have been betrayed. Soon he discovers that humanity reached the surface generations ago. Vast cities and sprawling parks spread across the planet. Darrow and Reds like him, are nothing more than slaves to a decadent ruling class. Inspired by a longing for justice, and driven by the memory of lost love, Darrow sacrifices everything to infiltrate the legendary Institute, a proving ground for the dominant Gold caste, where the next generation of humanity's overlords struggle for power. He will be forced to compete for his life and the very future of civilization against the best and most brutal of Society's ruling class. There, he will stop at nothing to bring down his enemies . . . even if it means he has to become one of them to do so.… (more)
Member:ocassim
Title:Red Rising (Red Rising Saga, #1)
Authors:Pierce Brown
Info:Del Rey, Hardcover, 382 pages
Collections:2024 Reads, Read Books, Your library
Tags:to-read

Work Information

Red Rising by Pierce Brown

Recently added byeprosise, meriorie, Ememel, helectra, private library, aloe2004, tarapede, sa77iyah, esmarsh711
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (wifilibrarian)
    wifilibrarian: Both feature themes of oppression, caste systems, large divides between have-nots and the haves. Televised young adults fighting.
    Diplomat of Uram by Richard R. Matthews (Anonymous user)
    The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Action-filled fantasy page-turner, set in an African-inspired world.
    Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros (vwinsloe)

English (410)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (409)
Ridiculously derivative, Brown pretty much just hodge-podges together parts from every young adult bestseller in the past 20 years. Despite that it's a fun series that I couldn't put down. ( )
  capincus | Jul 13, 2024 |
As a young adult novel, it has all the ingredients. Dystopian society, an oppressed class with a hard boiled hero eager to suffer to get revenge. Contrast added by mixing this genius bumpkin with the love children of Calvin Klein and Hitler. Then, you make them fight each other à la "Hunger Games", which is à la "Battle Royale".
It makes for a fun and fast reading lying there by the pool, with the brain in autopilot.

The society dynamics are fine. The characters ar cliché, but well defined. The descriptions are good and the writing style is really enjoyable. However the world building, the Sci-Fi part, is rubbbish. Nonsensical. ( )
  cdagulleiro | Jul 3, 2024 |
I really like the world that the author has built. Darrow is a good protagonist, holding the mission of freeing his entire Color race. He has his demons and the author did well showing that. My friend told me the first book is only an introduction, and not that great compared to the other two. Can't wait to finish the trilogy. ( )
  heolinhdam | Jun 25, 2024 |
There was enough compelling plot stuff to keep me reading until the end, but it was a frustrating read. The narrative voice was realllllllyyyyy irritating by the end. Short, declarative sentences can only hold weight so many times a page. ( )
  Rachaeljg | Jun 24, 2024 |
**4.5 stars**
The only complaint I have about this book is that it started rather slow for me. But other than that, I love it. The characters are so raw and real. Everything is just really good. Read it. ( )
  TimeLord10SPW | Jun 21, 2024 |

Pierce Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Arnold, TommyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reynolds, Tim GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To Father, who taught me to walk
I would have lived in peace. But my enemies brought me war.
I was forged in the bowels of this hard world.
Then you must live for more.
"So this kid is what? A predestined Alexander? A Caesar? A Genghis? A Wiggin?" I ask. "This is slagging nonsense."

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Pierce Brown's book Red Rising was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,692,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible