Der Herr Der Ringe by J.R.R. Tolkien

Der Herr Der Ringe (original 1954; edition 1999)

by J.R.R. Tolkien

Series: The Lord of the Rings (Omnibus 1-3)

42,68941321 (4.52)1 / 1295
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them In ancient times the Rings of Power were crafted by the Elven-smiths, and Sauron, The Dark Lord, forged the One Ring, filling it with his own power so that he could rule all others. But the One Ring was taken from him, and though he sought it throughout Middle-earth, it remained lost to him. After many ages, it fell by chance into the hands of the hobbit Bilbo Baggins. From his fastness in the Dark Tower of Mordor, Sauron's power spread far and wide. He gathered all the Great Rings to him, but always he searched for the One Ring that would complete his dominion. On Bilbo's eleventy-first birthday, he disapeared, bequeathing to his young cousin, Frodo, the Ruling Ring and a perilous quest: to journey across Middle-earth, deep into the shadow of the Dark Lord, and destroy the Ring by casting it into the Cracks of Doom. THE LORD OF THE RINGS tells of the great quest undertaken by Frodo and the Fellowship of the Ring: Gandalf the Wizard; the hobbits Merry, Pippin and Sam; Gimli the Dwarf; Legolas the Elf; Boromir of Gondor; and a tall, mysterious stranger called Strider.… (more)
Member:mccutcheon
Title:Der Herr Der Ringe
Authors:J.R.R. Tolkien
Info:J.G. Cotta'sche, Buchhandlung Nachfolger GmbH (1999), Paperback, 1347 pages
Tags:Tolkien

The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (1954)

The Fionavar Tapestry 1. The Summer Tree 2. The Wandering Fire 3. The Darkest Road by Guy Gavriel Kay (geophile)
    The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    The Hobbit (Part 1 of 2) by J.R.R. トールキン (readysetgo)
    The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun by J. R. R. Tolkien (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Two great examples of fine English fantasy.
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (LKAYC)
    The Ring of the Nibelung [libretto] by Richard Wagner (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Guy forges a ring of power. Everyone who refused to give up the ring has it taken away from them and they die, sooner or later. Except for Wotan, the only person to give it up voluntarily.
    Bilbo's Last Song by J. R. R. Tolkien (Michael.Rimmer)
    The Silmarillion by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    The Worm Ouroboros by E. R. Eddison (DCBlack)
    DCBlack: Tolkien himself gave Eddison high praise, saying he was "The greatest and most convincing writer of 'invented worlds' that I have read". Of Eddison's best known works, 'The Worm Ouroboros' is the place to start. If you like it you may want to try his Zimiamvia trilogy too.… (more)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (idalmir_itaqua)
    Elric of Melniboné by Michael Moorcock (artturnerjr)
    The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Last Ringbearer by Kiril Yeskov (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Great alternate history version of the Middle Earth saga--told from the 'evil' Mordor side.
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (RickyHaas)
    The Hunt for the Eye of Ogin by Patrick Doud (utterlycharming)
    Elfhunter by C. S. Marks (anyanwubutler)
    Heaven's War by Micah Harris (jpers36)
    Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind by Hayao Miyazaki (ecureuil)
    The Well of the Unicorn by Fletcher Pratt (LamontCranston)

1950s (114)
Read (5)

English (350)  Dutch (16)  Italian (10)  German (10)  Spanish (8)  Finnish (5)  French (5)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Bulgarian (1)  All languages (413)
A nicely created world full of intricate details. What I hated about these books is exactly the amount of details that are unrelated to the story "He/she/they laughed merrily" The SONGS!! This could've easily become LOTR the musical. ( )
  sami7 | Aug 3, 2020 |
So apologies up front since I am going to have to break this review up in order to talk about all three books. I am glad that I managed to finish it this weekend. I just put my head down and got through it the past couple of days. Once I stopped comparing these books to the Peter Jackson films I was able to just get through the book much more quickly. It also helped that I stopped calling one of my best friends to shriek about a change that Jackson had made from the original stories too.

The Fellowship of the Ring (3.5 stars)
This was definitely the hardest of the three books to get through. I think it was because this book had to refresh readers minds about Bilbo Baggins and then introduce us to characters that we have not met before all living in the Shire. We find out that Bilbo is about to celebrate his 111th birthday along with his cousin and his adopted heir Frodo Baggins. Though Frodo knows what Bilbo has planned, the other hobbits do not and are surprised to see Bilbo disappear during his great birthday feast. We have the reappearance of Gandalf the Grey who forces Bilbo to keep his promise to leave his ring (see The Hobbit) behind for Frodo. This ring ends up being the catalyst for what eventually causes Frodo to leave the Shire (17 years after Bilbo's 110th birthday) when Gandalf reveals that the ring Frodo has is the one ring that the dark lord Sauron needs to rule over Middle-Earth forever.

The book introduces us to other characters that I quickly came to love like Samwise Gamgee (Frodo's gardener) and his two friends, Peregrin Took (Pippin), Meriadoc Brandybuck (Merry). These three hobbits stick with Frodo through thick and thin and agree to leave with him when he departs the Shire for Rivendell. Along the way the hobbits meet characters that will end up aiding them on their quest (5 other characters that agree to accompany Frodo on his quest, Gandalf the Grey, Aragorn, Gimli the dwarf, Legolas the elf, and Boromir).

I thought the character of Frodo was quite complex in the book. We have him initially happy to leave the Shire to go on an adventure. Apparently he has a lot of Baggins in him and looks forward to seeing the world just like Bilbo. When it becomes certain that Frodo is in danger, and could possibly die, I thought the book showcased how even though Frodo was being brave and refusing to back down, he was still very much scared.

Most of book one was really about the development of Frodo's character. Everyone else we meet in this book was a bit thin (the other reason why I just gave it 3.5 stars). A friend once told me that if you could get past The Fellowship of the Ring, you could finish the other two books, and I definitely think she was right.

I definitely thought the writing was top notch, though after about the 10th song/poem I started to skim them if they looked overly long. However the other reason why I could only give this book 3.5 stars was that the writing and narrative flow of the book really don't work together until almost the very end. I get that Tolkien wanted to put everything in this first book in order to set things up. However, it really was hard to get through. There were so many tiny details about everyone and everything that I found myself getting sleepy from time to time.

The first book has to set up a lot though so it makes sense that this one was going to be overly complex and long. The book really doesn't get going (with writing and flowing) until we get to the hobbits finally making their way to Rivendell. Even then there was a problem with the book flowing smoothly until the fellowship was formed and started moving.

There are so many places in this first book that I don't know how to describe them all. The shire felt like a real live place that Tolkien had visited in the past. His description of the Shire, how the homes were set up, and even about how the hobbits celebrated was a fun little beginning to the book.

I really loved the description of Rivendell and the forest of Lorien felt real. I got to give it to Tolkien, though I thought parts of the book were excessively wordy, he did a good job of describing places, people, things, smells, and food.

The ending definitely leaves you wanting more and then I found myself quite eager to start The Two Towers.

Please note that if you have not read The Fellowship of the Ring, there are spoliers from that book for The Two Towers below.

The Two Towers (4 stars)

So the Fellowship is torn asunder and we have Frodo and Sam marching off to Mount Doom in order to destroy the one ring. And Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas are off to find Merry and Pippin who have been captured by the Orcs. Boromir is dead from trying to save Merry and Pippin from the Orcs and confesses to Aragorn that he is the reason that Frodo left the fellowship after Boromir tried to take the ring from him.

We get additional characters in this book, such as Éomer and Eowyn, nephew and niece of King Théoden of Rohan. There are other characters such as Faramir (from Gondor and brother of Boromir) and we get to see Gollum again as well.

I have to say that my favorite of the new characters that we get to see is definitely Theoden. He is smart, capable, and I like that he and Aragorn took to each other quickly in this book. The character of Eowyn with her long glances at Aragorn wore on my nerves quite quickly. And I am going to say this up front. There is little to no character development for any of the female characters in the first two books. We have mention of Arwen here and there and we do get to "see her" in the first book, but besides being beautiful there was not much there, there you know.

And I did find the A plot (Aragorn defending against attack at Helm's Deep) was so strange, especially because Gandalf (now Gandalf the White) just rode off with no explanation. I think at that point I would have been cursing the guy out. I think it was just to put that group into peril.

The B plot (Frodo and Sam) definitely dragged here and there, and I think after the action we got in the A plot that was to be expected.

Due to the fellowship being split, the book goes back and forth between Aragorn's party, then to Merry and Pippin when found, and then to Frodo and Sam. The flow was once again not that great. For example, when we have Merry and Pippin found by Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli, we have Merry and Pippin sitting down (while smoking their pipe weed) telling them how they escaped and came across Treebeard (one of the Ents).

Not a true flashback since we have them explaining themselves with simple dialogue. However, it kept taking me out of the story when we had characters going back and explaining what happened since the last time the other characters had seen that person.

This book pretty much doesn't move to as many settings like it did in the Fellowship. We see Isengard (Saurman's stronghold), and the Forest of Fangorn (which Legolas is enamored with), along with Helm's Deep. However, unlike with the previous book, we don't get as much detail about these settings. Instead we have a lot of dialogue (not a complaint) and explanations going on and on that tend to drag the story a bit.

The ending leaves the B plot characters in danger with no way out to be seen for how the ring will be destroyed.

Please note that if you have not read The Fellowship of the Ring, and The Two Towers, there are spoilers from these two books below.

The Return of the King (4.5 stars)

We follow Gandalf and Pippin traveling to Gondor in order to alert the Steward of Gondor, Denethor, about the imminent attack by Sauron. We have Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli off to the Paths of the Dead in order to have the now dead men who did not keep their oath to Isildur. We have the King Theoden, Eomer, and Merry traveling behind trying to get to Gondor before they are attacked. And we also have Sam trying to rescue Frodo from the orcs that have captured Frodo once he realizes that Frodo is still alive.

This is the first book that we actually get some development with the character of Eowyn. Can I say this? She was kind of annoying? I felt for her not wanting to be a shield maiden. But Tolkien makes it super obvious she has a death wish and does not want to be in the world because she can't have Aragorn and she wants to ride into battle and get glory like her brother and others. I think I was supposed to go rah rah, women power, instead I wanted to go, girl, get a grip and grow up. Thankfully she does, though I still had some minor quibbles with how her story ended.

I also kind of wanted to kick the character of Merry and Pippin in this one too. Pippin does something stupid and is carried off by Gandalf in order for Gandalf to keep an eye on him. And though Gandalf warns Pippin against telling Denethor about what happened to Boromir, or the ring, he tells enough for the man to guess. With Pippin seriously complaining about the lack of food he receives (they are under seige) and his lamenting to Gandalf about why did he bring him there, I was waiting for Gandalf to smack him with his staff. At least Merry didn't want to be left behind and wanted to do something in order to help his friends.

This book actually moves at a faster pace than the previous two books. We have a ton of action going on and we have little time for people to mourn when someone dies (though Tolkien still threw in some poems/songs about those who died) with everyone involved trying their best in order defeat Sauron and his people.

When we transition back to Sam and Frodo the book moves even faster still, and then we get to the book's initial climax.

In the end our fellowship (minus 1) manages to do the thing that they were charged to do, with Aragorn back on the throne of Gondor.

However, that is not the end of the book, not even a little bit. Our group is reluctant to part from one another and we have them all staying on at Gondor for a special date with hints being made about what it is. We get to see some of the previous characters again with Frodo deciding to stop in Rivendell in order to see Bilbo again.

What I thought was special about the ending of The Return of the King, is that we got to see Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin at home in the Shire again. And they return home to a place they are not prepared for, with a whole set of skills that they have learned while off to destroy the one ring. We get to see how all of the hobbits changed and how Frodo was changed the most.

The book version I had came with appendices that explained further about the characters and ancestors and those that came after the characters in the three books. I was happy to see what became of the fellowship. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
I was massively disappointed by this book and don't see its mass appeal. Endless geographical descriptions and turgid satnav-like routes made the whole thing twice as long as it needed to be. ( )
2 vote martensgirl | Jun 6, 2020 |
door Sebe (4,5 ster):

Het boek In de ban van de Ring is heel goed geschreven, elke keer dat ik ’s avonds in mijn bed lig kan ik mij helemaal inleven in het verhaal. Het is soms niet zo duidelijk wat ze willen zeggen doordat ze teveel namen erbij gooien. Zo weet je soms niet wie het eigenlijk nu zegt. En het boek is nogal dik om in een paar weken uit te lezen plus in het begin zijn er ook nog wat pagina’s die iets meer vertellen over de schrijver (Tolkien) en daardoor was ik al ontmoedigd om aan het boek te beginnen. Maar toch kun je het verhaal goed mee volgen als je alles begrijpt. Er is ook genoeg spanning in het verhaal om het niet saai te laten worden. Ik zou het boek zeker aanraden om te lezen. Het is spannend, leuk, creatief, soms zelf raar door alle rare personages die erin voorkomen bv: de zwarte ruiter die op de grond naar de sporen van Frodo zoekt. Als ik het boek sterren zou moeten geven, geef ik het 4.5 sterren. Het is een heel goed boek, maar ze zouden het soms een beetje duidelijker mogen maken zodat je niet achter op geraakt.

door Lars (5 sterren):
Het boek sleept je volledig mee in het verhaal. Het verhaal is het beste deel van de trilogie dat ik tot nu toe gelezen heb. ( )
  literair_adolescent | May 16, 2020 |
All volumes are accompanied with maps, and Dr. Tolkien, who is a philologist, professor at Merton College of English Language and Literature, has equipped the last volume with a scholarly apparatus of appendices, explaining the alphabets and grammars of the various tongues spoken by his characters, and giving full genealogies and tables of historical chronology. Dr. Tolkien has announced that this series - the hypertrophic sequel to The Hobbit - is intended for adults rather than children, and it has had a resounding reception at the hands of a number of critics who are certainly grown-up in years. Mr. Richard Hughes, for example, has written of it that nothing of the kind on such a scale has been attempted since The Faerie Queen, and that « for width of imagination it almost beggars parallel."...

Now, how is it that these long-winded volumes of what looks to this reviewer like balderdash have elicited such tributes as those above? The answer is, I believe, that certain people - especially, perhaps, in Britain - have a lifelong appetite for juvenile trash. They would not accept adult trash, but, confronted with the pre-teen-age article, they revert to the mental phase which delighted in Elsie Dinsmore and Little Lord Fauntleroy and which seems to have made of Billy Bunter, in England, almost a national figure. You can see it in the tone they fall into when they talk about Tolkien in print: they bubble, they squeal, they coo; they go on about Malory and Spenser - both of whom have a charm and a distinction that Tolkien has never touched.
added by SnootyBaronet | editThe Nation, Edmund Wilson (Apr 14, 1956)

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Remington, BarbaraIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zolla, ElémireForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

The Lord of the Rings (Omnibus 1-3)

Belongs to Publisher Series

Is contained in

Contains

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,

Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,

Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,

One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,

One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.
I regret to announce that—though, as I said, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to spend among you—this is the END. I am going. I am leaving NOW. GOOD-BYE!
The Road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began.

Now far away the Road has gone,

And I must follow, if I can,

Pursuing it with eager feet,

Until it joins some larger way

Where many paths and errands meet.

And whither then? I cannot say.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too quick to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
Health and hope grew strong in them, and they were content with each good day as it came, taking pleasure in every meal, and in every word and song.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:
  • Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
  • Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
  • Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.
This LT Work consists of Tolkien's complete work; please do not combine it with any constituent part(s), each of which have LT Works pages of their own.

Also, please distinguish print editions from any dramatization. (Audiobooks, being the same text unless they're abridged, should be combined with their original Work; but dramatizations, being adaptations, should be distinguished from the original.) Thank you.

Sauron, the Dark Lord, has gathered to him all the Rings of Power -- the means by which he intends to rule Middle-earth. All he lacks in his plans for dominion is the One Ring -- the ring that rules them all -- which has fallen into the hands of the hobbit, Bilbo Baggins. In a sleepy village in the Shire, young Frodo Baggins finds himself faced with an immense task, as his elderly cousin Bilbo entrusts the Ring to his care. Frodo must leave his home and make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Cracks of Doom, there to destroy the Ring and foil the Dark Lord in his evil purpose.
Halfling bears the Ring
from Bag End womb to Mount Doom,
hence Return of King.
(ed.pendragon)
Take ring to Mordor!
Why did they walk all the way?
Should have used eagles.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,531,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible