Hating Perfection (Revised Edition): A…

by John F. Williams

23None810,649NoneNone
The best heaven and the worst hell are the same place. Travel with author John F. Williams into the jungles of Laos and into a new understanding of existence.nbsp; In lively short stories, Hating Perfection shows the everyday world as uncanny, equally strange as the imaginary worlds of Borges or Kafka. This engrossing, strikingly original book invites you to experience your life in a new way. Hating Perfection weaves its stories together with an elegant logic. Our hateful world--painful, unjust, ruthless, fatal--stands revealed as the best of all possible worlds, flooded everywhere by a perfection both alien and addicting. What we want is different from what we get. But the reason why has a divine splendor.nbsp; In this revised edition, Mr. Williams has added a postscript that addresses the well-known philosopher's paradox of the Chinese room. The author explains for the first time how we know that such a room as usually described would not have consciousness. nbsp;nbsp;nbsp; Stand beside Mr. Williams for a time, and look in the direction he is looking. Your troubles may still be your troubles, but the world will be more than it was.… (more)
Member:Helix142
Title:Hating Perfection (Revised Edition): A Subtle Search for the Best Possible World
Authors:John F. Williams
Info:Humanity Books (2013), Edition: Revised, Paperback, 396 pages

Work Information

Hating Perfection (Revised Edition): A Subtle Search for the Best Possible World by John F. Williams

No reviews

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,457,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible