The Assassin and the Disciple

by Virginia Austin

The lines to the confessional are out the church door. The Jesus-in-the-Boxes are selling like hotcakes and so are the oatmeal cookie crosses. The mayor's twelve-year-old son survived the mock crucifixion with only a broken arm and modest head trauma. The town has found religion and no one's happier than Father O'Brien who only last week was down to one parishioner. The town's got its faith back and all because of the ACLU. Everyone, hands in the air now. Give it up for Faith, Hometown of Jesus Christ. There's a cross burning on a motel lawn. Burger Boy's been stolen and now has a white sheet over his head. Someone's plotting the town's first murder and Johnny Cain has the hands of Satan so everyone wants their cars back from his garage. The mill's just been robbed of an ungodly sum and everyone's sleeping around. The town of Faith's got problems and no one's sadder than Bobby Rae who has girl problems. Everyone now, down on your knees and let us pray. The hypocrisy of a small American town becomes readily apparent as its residents prepare to defend an ACLU lawsuit over a seventy-five-year-old sign that reads "FAITH, Hometown of Jesus Christ." Part, comedy, part jealousy and intrigue, this story will have you thanking God you are just passing through and not stopping on by.… (more)

I did not like the story or writing style of this book. It just wasn't for me. ( )
  eheinlen | Dec 9, 2014 |
This is the second novel I've read by Ms, Austin, and I dare say, it won't be the last. I enjoy her style of writing very much, though this one was a bit harder to read than William II. Dark, and full of demonology, and good vs. evil. it is not a novel for the faint of heart. Definitely not light reading. ( )
  croknot1 | Sep 10, 2013 |
I received a copy of The Assassin and the Disciple from the author Virginia Austin via the Library Thing Member Giveaway. First off, the packaging was beyond eye catching! (Yes, I am seriously taking the time to comment on it!) It made me very interested in reading the book! I had entered in the giveaway because the title sounded pretty cool and I loved the cover (very creepy!).

As for my reading of the book, unfortunately I have not had the time. Thanks to classes starting up again, I have found that I have even less time that I had originally planned for reading/reviewing. I am very upset by this and I hated having the book sit on my shelf and not be read / reviewed. So, I decided to tell the above (the "this is why I want to read this book" deal).

I want to thank the author for not continuously nudging me (actually I don't believe I have been nudged once by this author) and I appreciate it. I hope that Virginia Austin understands about these life situations that get in the way.

I would like to read this around Halloween (too cliche?). As soon as I do read the book, I will post my full review then. Thank you! ( )
  taylor.troncin | Sep 3, 2013 |
After a slow build up the novel roars along at good pace with a couple of big surprises. The way demons tempt humans is presented well. This is a great Christian fiction novel. The descriptions of Hell, angels and demons are compelling and they come to life in this book. I really enjoyed reading this book. This is a well written book. It not only brought tears to my eyes but strengthened my relationship with my maker. This is highly recommend to adults of all ages. ( )
  MaryAnn12 | Jul 28, 2013 |
First, I'd like to thank the author for sending me this great novel.I love great fiction.. William II did not disappoint,, as it is very well-written. It is quite sad in the beginning, as William's father is murdered, but lightens up and has quite a happy ending. I'd recommend it to anyone. ( )
  croknot1 | Jun 25, 2013 |
From the east a sudden riot in the breeze rose up to swipe the hat of the man standing outside of the library.

Adapted from an award-winning screenplay, and inspired by real-life events, CAR HEROIN TRAIN is a heart-wrenching tale from the front lines of the opiate epidemic that has taken so many lives and devastated so many more.

Recently graduated from a prestigious college, Evan heads off to Buffalo, NY to track down the 4-year-old girl his father rescued from a car crash eighteen years back. What he imagines he will find is a girl who has grown up to become someone that the world desperately needs. Why else would his dad have died saving her? Instead, what he discovers is that Amanda can barely make it from one day to the next. Utterly disillusioned, he prepares to return home when he befriends a little girl who needs him more than anything. However, this friendship soon becomes compromised as Evan comes across Amanda again, and they start to become involved.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Virginia Austin's book William the II was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Virginia Austin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,901,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible