Widok z Castle Rock by Alice Munro

Widok z Castle Rock (original 2006; edition 2011)

by Alice Munro, Ewa Elżbieta Nowakowska (Tł.)

A collections of stories about the Laidlaw family starting in the wilds of the Scottish Borders, their voyage to Canada, to stories set in Alice (Laidlaw) Munro's present time.
Member:igraj
Title:Widok z Castle Rock
Authors:Alice Munro
Other authors:Ewa Elżbieta Nowakowska (Tł.)
Info:Kraków : Wydawnictwo Literackie, 2011.
Tags:Canadian, prose, short story

Work Information

The View from Castle Rock: Stories by Alice Munro (2006)

English (48)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  All languages (55)
One of her few novels, I'm told, made up of distinct titled short stories. My preferred ordering principle in my own writing. It covers two centuries of changing characters, from Scotland to Ontario, Canada, as described by a descendant. Which would be, in a mixture of fiction and memoir, narrated by the sensitive and perceptive author who makes it work. ( )
  copyedit52 | Jun 7, 2020 |
standouts: home, hired girl, working for a living, no advantages ( )
  dlubell | May 25, 2019 |
This was the second Alice Munro I've read (Open Secrets was the other.) It's well-written; that goes without saying. She muses on the border of story and family history. I started to imagine writing something similar for our family.

Her specialty seems to be exploring the icky borders of sexual awakening and she has an interest in the disturbing. Maybe it's because I read this while I was recovering from the flu, but I felt a little woozy afterwards.

"A View" is also about class and where we are comfortable. I couldn't say that she comes to any conclusions other than one doesn't need to be "rescued". There is some reflection on a kind of joyless religion imported from Scotland. She returns to this a couple of times, but repeats "I am not believer." Nonsense; everyone believes in something; it's this particular old and corporate formulation which she doesn't trust. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
Can't fault the writing. And normally I like local history, family history, genealogy, and historical fiction in general. I was captivated by the first 2-3 stories, but Munro seems to run out of engaging material about halfway through, which is when my interest started to lag. Didn't finish the book. ( )
  Osbaldistone | Mar 3, 2018 |
Alice Munro is frequently described as the best short story writer alive. I've read a few of her collections and enjoyed them but never quite saw the brilliance others cite. In the blurbs on this one, she's compared to Chekov, so now I get it - I'm not big on him either. But there's some great stories in this collection that Munro describes as somewhat autobiographical. The girl in these linked stories is from a poor rural farming community and her roots are in Scotland, in a valley described as "having no advantages". She covers her ancestors' horrible voyage to Canada and her stiffnecked, stoic parents and grandparents in Part One, and Part Two is filled with her teenage and adult life. My favorite is the story "The Hired Girl", where she becomes a summer servant on an island (called Nausicca, from The Odyssey!) on a lake in Ontario. There's also an entire section in the story "The Ticket" that features an incredible compare-and-contrast of two trunks, one a humpbacked ancient one that had come over from Scotland, and a new one bought by her affluent fiancé, and their contents, that's a heartbreaker. OK, I do appreciate Alice Munro. I admit it.

Quotes: "Another private passion I had was for lines of poetry. I went rampaging through my school texts to uncover them before they could be read and despised in class."

"Reunions occasionally reveal how those who seemed most secure have been somewhat diminished or battered by life, and those who were at the fringes, who seemed to droop and ask pardon, have blossomed."

"In those days, nobody in town went for walks, except for some proprietary old men who strode around observing and criticizing any municipal projects. People were sure to spot you if you were noticed in a part of town where you had no particular reason to be. Then somebody would say, "We seen you the other day" - and you were supposed to explain." ( )
  froxgirl | Feb 17, 2018 |
Alice Munro's new book, The View from Castle Rock, is a delightful fraud. Whether through failure of imagination on her publisher's part, or a lack of confidence in the reader, or a shrewd authorial gambit, it is offered as a book of "Stories", the author's eleventh. But it is something else, a major achievement, and an exciting revitalisation of a somewhat exhausted genre. Resounding flyleaf rhetoric issues a denial: "So is this a memoir? No." Well, yes. It is. It is a memoir as only Alice Munro could write it.

Alice Munroprimary authorall editionscalculated
Farr, KimberlyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Douglas Gibson, who has sustained me through many travails, and whose enthusiasm for this particular book has even sent him prowling through the graveyard of Ettrick Kirk, probably in the rain.
The Ettrick Valley lies about fifty miles due south of Edinburgh, and thirty or so miles north of the English border, which runs close to the wall Hadrian built to keep out the wild people from the north.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,720,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible