Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Wife, the Maid, and the Mistress by…

The Wife, the Maid, and the Mistress (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Ariel Lawhon (Author)

Member:GinEyre22
Title:The Wife, the Maid, and the Mistress
Authors:Ariel Lawhon (Author)
Info:Anchor (2014), 320 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

The Wife, the Maid, and the Mistress by Ariel Lawhon (2014)

Fascinating who-done-it about the real life disappearance of a state Supreme Court judge in the 30s. Having bought his judgeship he was now at the mercy of the people who got him there.
One night he disappeared. His Mistress was hiding when they came and took him. His wife was at their home in Maine. The maid was there and quickly hid when the two police officers - one being her husband - who came and hid something in the judge’s dresser. How were they involved in the set up?!
Really enjoyable mystery. Read like non-fiction. ( )
  readingfiend | Apr 21, 2019 |
I wanted to love this and I tried so hard! I read the first half on my Kindle and listened to the other half on audio but....I just didn't love it. I may have gone in expecting too much. I love this time period and I loved the premise of the book, it just fell short for me. Not a bad book by any means, I just wanted more. ( )
  kathdob | Mar 19, 2019 |
A well written fictional story based on the disappearance of a judge in the US in the 1920s. Thoroughly enjoyable and loved the ending the author gave it as to who did it. Great characterisation and story twists. Recommended. ( )
  IMSauman | Dec 31, 2018 |
I am a believer in fate and destiny. I strongly feel this book was thrown in my path at exactly the most perfect time. I was in need of a great distraction and this novel more than fit the bill. The time period, political angle, historical fiction and time flashbacks.....all issues that turn me off to a reading experience.....all present. The book was part of a flight pairing suggested by a book club I am a member of. Normally I read a summary of a book as well as read reviews before I commit to reading it. Something compelled me to skip those steps and I am grateful because I never would have chosen this book.

Rarely does a book grab my attention and hold onto it like this one did. I was enthralled by all the characters not just the main ones. I did not even realize it was loosely based on a real life event until I was close to the end but the discovery made the tale much more interesting. The layers of deceit kept me eagerly reading in search for answers that were well hidden. The entanglements between Stella, Maria and Sally were intriguing yet shadowed enough that guessing at any alliance would have been far reaching. The book is written so well that I felt like I was present and witnessing the events unfold in real time. Upon reading the last word I uttered one word that summed up my love of this story "Wow!". ( )
  bostonterrio | Nov 21, 2017 |
A fictionalized account of a missing person story that captured a nation in the early 1930's. Lawhon created a plausible solution to the dissapearnce of NY Supreme Court Justice Carter - a thoroughly unlikable character. The story is told from 3 different perspectives and then the intersecting of these 3 perspectives which gives the reader something interesting to think about. A gangster, bad cops and corrupt politicians round out the list of characters.

An enjoyable, easy read. ( )
  mfbarry | Oct 29, 2017 |
Lawhon's novel reimagines the 1930 disappearance of justice Joseph Crater, an unsolved crime that fixates armchair detectives to this day. Set among the speakeasies and society soirees of Jazz Age Manhattan, the story also winds its way through the cramped tenements of the Lower East Side and goes behind the scenes of Broadway spectaculars. One August night, Joseph Crater leaves Club Abbey, a speakeasy owned by notorious gangster Owney Madden, and is never seen again. There are rumors of political corruption and shady connections with the criminal underworld, but the story centers on three women in his life—his wife, Stella; his mistress, showgirl Ritzi; and his maid, Maria. The three of them, all severely affected by his disappearance, must deal with the unexpected consequences, while trying to decide if there is a chance that he might still be alive. Stella hides in her Maine vacation home to avoid being harassed by police detectives and journalists. Ritzi shoulders a grueling life that is nothing like the glamorous starlet's existence that she dreamed of. Maria, whose husband is a detective assigned to the Crater case, works on starting a family while managing two jobs. These women do everything they can to protect themselves and their families from the malevolent men who let nothing stand in the way of them and their money.
added by kthomp25 | editPublisher's Weekly

For Marybeth, I owe you one.
And for Ashley, I owe you everything else.
We begin in a bar.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038553762X, Hardcover)

A tantalizing reimagining of a scandalous mystery that rocked the nation in 1930—Justice Joseph Crater's infamous disappearance—as seen through the eyes of the three women who knew him best.

They say behind every great man, there's a woman. In this case, there are three. Stella Crater, the judge's wife, is the picture of propriety draped in long pearls and the latest Chanel. Ritzi, a leggy showgirl with Broadway aspirations, thinks moonlighting in the judge's bed is the quickest way off the chorus line. Maria Simon, the dutiful maid, has the judge to thank for her husband's recent promotion to detective in the NYPD. Meanwhile, Crater is equally indebted to Tammany Hall leaders and the city's most notorious gangster, Owney "The Killer" Madden.

After 39 years of necessary duplicity, Stella Crater is finally ready to reveal what she knows. Sliding into a plush leather banquette at Club Abbey, the site of many absinthe-soaked affairs and the judge's favorite watering hole back in the day, Stella orders two whiskeys on the rocks—one for her and one in honor of her missing husband. Stirring the ice cubes in the lowball glass, Stella begins to tell a tale—of greed, lust, and deceit. As the novel unfolds and the women slyly break out of their prescribed roles, it becomes clear that each knows more than she has initially let on.

With a layered intensity and prose as effervescent as the bubbly that flows every night, The Wife, the Maid, and the Mistress is a wickedly entertaining historical mystery that will transport readers to a bygone era with tipsy spins through subterranean jazz clubs and backstage dressing rooms. But beneath the Art Deco skyline and amid the intoxicating smell of smoke and whiskey, the question of why Judge Crater disappeared lingers seductively until a twist in the very last pages.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:02 -0400)

Stella Crater, the judge's wife, is the picture of propriety. Ritzi, a leggy showgirl with Broadway aspirations, thinks moonlighting in the judge's bed is the quickest way off the chorus line. Maria Simon, the dutiful maid, has the judge to thank for her husband's recent promotion to detective in the NYPD. On a sultry summer night, as rumors circulate about the judge's involvement in wide-scale political corruption, the Honorable Joseph Crater steps into a cab and disappears without a trace. Or does he? After 39 years of necessary duplicity, Stella Crater is finally ready to reveal what she knows....… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,484,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible