Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate…

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms,…

by Allie Brosh

2,8952062,873 (4.29)165

Really good. extremely lengthy but good ( )
  DestDest | Oct 11, 2018 |
10/10, WILL READ AGAIN ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
This is a great book I really enjoy how she describe her problems and her fight against depression is a good look to a topic that can be misunderstood many times. I also like the way she put all the stories about her life with a comical point of view but keeping them as close as possible to reality. Wish they were more authors like her. ( )
  CaroPi | Aug 9, 2018 |
I avoided this book for a while because my experience in reading books written by popular bloggers has not been overly positive so far. I tend to find that they are best in their primary media (a blog) and often their style does not translate well to another media (a book). But, Allie's style translates really well and I'm so glad I picked up this book! ( )
  trillianiris | Jul 11, 2018 |
I love this book. Wildly hilarious while still having moments of absolute venerability, Allie Brosh has managed to tell her life story (with a few hyperboles along the way) in a way that is both sidesplittingly funny as well as honest. Stories range from when she was a young girl who ate an entire cake and then vomited it all back up on her grandmother's carpet, to the time her mother tried to pretend she wasn't hopelessly lost in the forrest with her two young daughters, to short throw away stories about how the word "alot" doesn't exist and her coping method for when she sees people use it.
The reason I have not given it five stars is thus: The book /is/ riddled with swear words, so I would undoubtedly only place this in the hands of someone in high school or older. She also uses the "r" word to refer to her mentally delayed dog. While the story is hilarious, that word is controversial and as someone who openly talks about having a mental illness herself (depression) I would have hoped that she would have avoided a word filled with such a negative connotation that many people object to. ( )
  BeckyShipe | Jul 6, 2018 |
Brosh has an odd way of looking at the world and an uncanny ability to write about her personal — and specific — circumstances so that those of us who are even more odd can identify. ... Think of Brosh as a visceral, brutally honest David Sedaris — with badly drawn images — and buy this book.

It would be easy to dismiss Brosh as unnecessarily self-deprecating. But it seems that it’s the sheer intensity of her critical self-consciousness and conscious self-criticalness that people have connected with so deeply. By revealing the selfish grotesqueness of everyday humanity, the stories encourage us to become more reflexive of our inherent flaws, which can be both productive and humbling. And also, it would be nothing short of ironic to criticise Brosh for her almost complete lack of subtlety when the premise of the book is embedded right there in the title: it’s all about hyperbole.

Allie Broshprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lee-Mui, RuthDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Scott.
What now, fucker?
Also for Mom, Dad, Kaiti, Laurie, Duncan, Sarah, Joey, and Lee.
You're all great.
It seems like there should be some sort of introduction to this. (Introduction)
When I was ten years old, I wrote a letter to my future self and buried it in my back yard.
CLEAN ALL THE THINGS!

Collects autobiographical, illustrated essays and cartoons from the author's popular blog and related new material that humorously and candidly deals with her own idiosyncrasies and battles with depression.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,608,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible