Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms,…

by Allie Brosh

Collects autobiographical, illustrated essays and cartoons from the author's popular blog and related new material that humorously and candidly deals with her own idiosyncrasies and battles with depression.

English (264)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (266)
I am not usually a "laugh out loud while reading" person. This book made me laugh out loud so many times my wife commented on the strangeness of it. The strangeness of me laughing out loud, not the strangeness of the book. Though it is strange--in a laugh out loud kind of way. ( )
  LordPetros | Sep 9, 2022 |
Hyperbole and a Half is a cross between a memoir and a graphic novel. Organized into a series of vignettes that often read like comedy sketches, it covers such diverse topics as the author's childhood, the joys and difficulties of dog ownership, and struggles with self-improvement, motivation, and depression.

The writing is intertwined with drawings that can appear comically amateurish, particularly when it comes to the author's depiction of herself with stick arms and a triangle of blond hair sticking up like a party hat, but the author is clearly an expert of the style, making the visual jokes land just as well if not better than those based in text. It reminds me of a friend who jokingly prides himself in his ability to use Microsoft Paint, except that Allie Brosh could certainly draw circles around him in her software of choice. Something about taking a simple tool or a simple art style and turning it into something really impressive is charming to me, and, in this case, that certainly added to the book's ability to make me laugh.

And this book did make me laugh, from the introduction to the About the Author section on the back cover flap. I laughed out loud more times than I can count. Every time I finished one story, I was eager for the next.

In terms of substance, I also appreciated the honest depiction of another person's life and perspective on the world. The section related to the author's struggles with depression, while certainly not the most light-hearted, was one of my favorites because of how clearly it depicted a true experience that many people could relate to and yet was entirely unique. Depression is too often misunderstood, and one aspect of that, I think, is that people forget that not everyone experiences it in the same way. Other types of misunderstanding are more common, and I loved the way this section depicted the author's well-meaning friends and loved ones and explained how their words and actions were received by her depressive mind. It's natural to want to help, and it's the unfortunate reality of depression that it's extremely difficult to know how. This section alone, in my opinion, provides enormous value in a way that's very easy to absorb.

My biggest criticism for this book is the language in the first section about the author's dog, which I personally found distasteful. There is also swearing scattered throughout, so I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone who doesn't care for that style of humor. If you only want to avoid the r word, though, just skip the second story. The rest of the book calls the dog "simple", and you won't have any trouble understanding anything that follows.

With those caveats, I would recommend this book to just about anybody else. It's an incredibly enjoyable read, great for a laugh, and definitely kept my interest. For anyone who has a friend or loved one going through depression--or, heck, anyone who has the awareness that they might someday--I would highly recommend reading the section related to depression, even if you skip the rest of the book entirely. I don't know why you would, though. If that's the sort of mission you're on, you probably deserve a smile and a laugh. ( )
  dste | Aug 18, 2022 |
I absolutely love this book and have reread it several times. Allie Brosh’s sarcast, dry humor is endearing, relatable and spot on. She talks about everything from crippling depression that left her alternately crying on her kitchen floor and laughing about a piece of corn, to a Mission Impossible-style scheme to get a piece of birthday cake. She uses a naive style of art which, to me, matches her stories perfectly. We all feel like children when we’re confronted with something we feel ill-equipped to handle and the art conveys this perfectly. She has fun asides about failures in training her dog and how a goose stalked her living room one night. This book is not didadict in any sense. While it is about mental health, it’s more of a “we all struggle book” than a “here’s how to get better book”. Readers will enjoy her art and insight but be warned, the language is mature.
  aprilasfour | Jul 25, 2022 |
Absolutely loved it. Comical. Relatable. ( )
  eklein86 | May 27, 2022 |
Episodes from Allie Brosh's blog (which I've never read) became this wonderful graphic comic/memoir about what makes her her. I love her humorous take on often very unhumorous mental states such as depression, OCD, spiraling and just dealing with people. I love her 'fish-out-of water' graphic representation of herself and her funny portrayal of her dogs and their thoughts. Highly recommended. ( )
  Marse | May 11, 2022 |
Brosh has an odd way of looking at the world and an uncanny ability to write about her personal — and specific — circumstances so that those of us who are even more odd can identify. ... Think of Brosh as a visceral, brutally honest David Sedaris — with badly drawn images — and buy this book.

It would be easy to dismiss Brosh as unnecessarily self-deprecating. But it seems that it’s the sheer intensity of her critical self-consciousness and conscious self-criticalness that people have connected with so deeply. By revealing the selfish grotesqueness of everyday humanity, the stories encourage us to become more reflexive of our inherent flaws, which can be both productive and humbling. And also, it would be nothing short of ironic to criticise Brosh for her almost complete lack of subtlety when the premise of the book is embedded right there in the title: it’s all about hyperbole.

Allie Broshprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lee-Mui, RuthDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Scott.
What now, fucker?

Also for Mom, Dad, Kaiti, Laurie,
Duncan, Sarah, Joey, and Lee.
You're all great.
It seems like there should be some sort of introduction to this. (Introduction)
When I was ten years old, I wrote a letter to my future self and buried it in my back yard.
CLEAN ALL THE THINGS!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,591,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible