Hyperbole and a Half

by Allie Brosh

Collects autobiographical, illustrated essays and cartoons from the author's popular blog and related new material that humorously and candidly deals with her own idiosyncrasies and battles with depression.

English (244)  Dutch (1)  All languages (245)
Oh Allie Brosh, I love you. Even though some of these were reprints from her blog, it was still awesome to see them in print. Allie writes honestly on her blog about her struggles with depression and anxiety and doesn't hold back in the book either. I love reading her stories about her life and her dogs and her childhood. If you like silly drawings and stories about slow dogs and candy then you should definitely give Allie's book a try. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
I've seen Brosh's comics online but for some reason it's taken me this long to get my hands on her first book. This is a memoir full of humorous commentary about how she views the world around her (and how her childhood informed those views). My favorite parts were her recollections from childhood (the cake eating and the adventure in the woods were hysterical) and her essays about her two dogs (absolutely loved how she managed to convey so much without any words at all). Like Jenny Lawson, she is able to discuss serious issues while keeping it funny and relatable.

If you're looking for a quick read with a lot of heart and snort-worthy stories you're on the right track with this one. ( )
  AliceaP | Apr 8, 2021 |
1 Hilariously Relatable To My Own Failures at "Adulting" Story
1 Truly Funny Story involving 1 Predatory Goose
1 Discussion of Depression (in 2 Parts) that is Important
4 Dog-Related Posts (Varying Degrees of Funny)
Various Other Stories/Essays
Multiple Entertaining Stick Figure Illustrations ( )
  Caramellunacy | Mar 10, 2021 |
This book is hard to categorize. It's sort of a memoir and it's sort of a graphic novel, but not really. If you've read the blog, you know what you're in for. I loved the blog and now I finally read the book. And of course it was more of the same stuff that I loved. Definitely worth a read :) ( )
  RankkaApina | Feb 22, 2021 |
A very funny book, dealing with some difficult subjects like depression and other mental health issues. The drawings are deceptively simple but very expressive. Its a little bit dog obsessed, her dogs are enough too turn anybody off ever owning one themselves.
There is quite a bit of swearing in it, but apart from this it would be suitable for teenagers as well as adults (I actually bought it for my 11 years old, oops). ( )
  CharlotteBurt | Feb 1, 2021 |
Brosh has an odd way of looking at the world and an uncanny ability to write about her personal — and specific — circumstances so that those of us who are even more odd can identify. ... Think of Brosh as a visceral, brutally honest David Sedaris — with badly drawn images — and buy this book.

It would be easy to dismiss Brosh as unnecessarily self-deprecating. But it seems that it’s the sheer intensity of her critical self-consciousness and conscious self-criticalness that people have connected with so deeply. By revealing the selfish grotesqueness of everyday humanity, the stories encourage us to become more reflexive of our inherent flaws, which can be both productive and humbling. And also, it would be nothing short of ironic to criticise Brosh for her almost complete lack of subtlety when the premise of the book is embedded right there in the title: it’s all about hyperbole.

Allie Broshprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lee-Mui, RuthDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Scott.
What now, fucker?
Also for Mom, Dad, Kaiti, Laurie, Duncan, Sarah, Joey, and Lee.
You're all great.
It seems like there should be some sort of introduction to this. (Introduction)
When I was ten years old, I wrote a letter to my future self and buried it in my back yard.
CLEAN ALL THE THINGS!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,939,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible