The Emperor's Blades: Chronicle of the…

The Emperor's Blades: Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, Book 1 (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Brian Staveley (Author)

1,1825215,138 (3.89)1 / 33
The children of an assassinated emperor try to stay alive and avenge their father's death while continuing down their individual life-paths, one in a monastery, another training with elite soldiers, and one appointed a minister determined to prove herself to her people.
Member:ShleeDawn475
Title:The Emperor's Blades: Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, Book 1
Authors:Brian Staveley (Author)
Info:Brilliance Audio (2014)
Collections:Your library, To read

Work Information

The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley (2014)

English (49)  Italian (1)  All languages (50)
its 11 at night. im using my nook color to type as i have finished two days straight of reading this book. when i can recover and get my hands on a real keyboard a real review i shall make. ( )
  HotPinkMess | Jul 31, 2022 |
It's possible that I don't give books a good enough "try" before I pass judgement on them and decide between abandoning the story or sticking with it. But there are so many books I want to read, I have to be judicious. And so, with "The Emperor's Blades", I may have given up on it too soon (several chapters into the free chapters available online), but it just didn't grab me. ( )
  MarkLacy | May 29, 2022 |
Heillandi og spennandi saga þar sem Staveley vefur saman heim fullan af blekkingum, svikum og óvissu þar sem aðalsöguhetjurnar eru 3 systkini sem standa frammi fyrir því að faðir þeirra, keisari ríkisins, hefur verið myrtur. Fljótlega kemur í ljós að engum er hægt að treysta og óvinir virðast birtast þar sem síst skyldi. Hröð saga og spenna með fjölda óvæntra plotta. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |
So I saw a picture on Book Eaters from this book and I was like: 'I MUST HAVE THIS WHERE CAN I GET THIS NOW!!!!'.

So yeah sometimes I'm a sucker for covers.

Then I read the review Angela did on this book and now it's on my to read list...

Please be good, please be good, please BE GOOD!
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
Ugh. Tolkien has ruined me for fantasy.

There are so many things wrong with this book I don't know where to begin. Honestly, I shouldn't have finished it and gone on to something else, but I've been jouncing some good fantasy and figured I'd stick it out. Ick.

Here are some areas that particular annoyed me:

1. The names. Names always kill it for me when it comes to high fantasy. People, places, and things all need to have names that stem from the culture of the world being built, foreign but not so strange that the reader laughs. Well, I was laughing. Every cliche is found in abundance, from the liberal use of apostrophes to doubled vowels. Names seemed to reflect medieval England, except when they resembled eastern European, but only when they didn't resemble some knock-off kung-fu movie temple warrior.

2. Language. Look, spend some time creating a plausible language, or, if you don't have that particular talent (and who does?), just go with English. If you're worried about verisimilitude, you're not going to solve that problem by coming up with literally the most ridiculous forms of cursing IN THE HISTORY OF LITERATURE. "'Kent-kissing"? "'Shael-spawned"? And still, Staveley used good, old-fashioned English cursing for good measure because you know, genre readers aren't sticklers for consistency.

3. Plot. Try having one that doesn't read like a Mad libs filled in by an aspiring middle-school aged writer of fantasy/quest fiction. I'm thinking of myself in middle school. Specifically of a "novel" I was going to "write." It is painful, the embarrassment I feel when thinking of how bad that attempt was. I felt that embarrassment from time to time (and far more frequently than I should have) reading this novel.

Well, I can't be too hard on the book. It did get published, I know that isn't easy. But after my second failed attempt to start a fantasy series I had on good authority was good, I'm starting to wonder if the bar is so low that fantasy fans will read anything. Yuk to this. ( )
  allan.nail | Jul 11, 2021 |

Brian Staveleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Anderson, RichardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomson, JoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

In The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley, the emperor of Annur is dead, slain by enemies unknown. His daughter and two sons, scattered across the world, do what they must to stay alive and unmask the assassins. But each of them also has a life-path on which their father set them, destinies entangled with both ancient enemies and inscrutable gods.

Kaden, the heir to the Unhewn Throne, has spent eight years sequestered in a remote mountain monastery, learning the enigmatic discipline of monks devoted to the Blank God. Their rituals hold the key to an ancient power he must master before it's too late.

An ocean away, Valyn endures the brutal training of the Kettral, elite soldiers who fly into battle on gigantic black hawks. But before he can set out to save Kaden, Valyn must survive one horrific final test.

At the heart of the empire, Minister Adare, elevated to her station by one of the emperor's final acts, is determined to prove herself to her people. But Adare also believes she knows who murdered her father, and she will stop at nothing—and risk everything—to see that justice is meted out.

At the Publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management Software (DRM) applied.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 188,835,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible