The Surrogate: A Novel by Judith Henry Wall

The Surrogate: A Novel

by Judith Henry Wall

To a penniless twenty-year-old like Jamie Long, surrogate motherhood seemed both an act of altruism and a financial opportunity. But once pregnant and under contract to Amanda Hartmann, the head of a famous evangelical family, Jamie realizes that she's getting more than she bargained for. Whisked away to the vast, isolated family ranch, she's closely supervised and carefully cut off from the outside world. She learns the family's dark secrets-- and sees the enormity of their ruthlessness. When Jamie hears Amanda's plan to claim the baby as her natural-born child, she begins to suspect that her own life is in danger and resolves to flee. Alone with a tiny newborn, she calls on the one man in the world she can trust-- her high school crush, Joe Brammer. Their love unites them in a struggle to escape, and soon enough their flight becomes a fight for their lives.… (more)

While there were some things about this book I didn't enjoy-the anti-religion vibes, for example. That's a major one-the moment I picked up this book, I found it compelling. It held my attention extremely well and I had the overwhelming desire to keep reading, to finish it, I needed to know what happened, and I really liked it. It's well written, and a good, original story. ( )
  jewelsk96 | Jun 28, 2016 |
Jamie Long is a college drop out, left deeply in debt after looking after her dying grandmother. An ad in a college paper to be a surrogate mother seems like the answer to all her prayers. In answering the ad she becoming embroiled in a family of tele-evangelists and some murderous political intrigue. I picked this book up because of a recommendation. I was not disappointed but I did find the book a little predictable. ( )
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
I may not have picked up this book if it was not a pick for one of my book clubs, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. I really enjoyed this story and its original storyline.
It was a nice little thriller!
It was a little predictable and was a bit unbelievable considering some of the circumstances they narrowly escaped. The characters were rather interesting, especially Mary Millicent and Gus Hartmann.
Overall, action-packed and exciting. ( )
  taramatchi | Jan 31, 2010 |
A young girl in desperate need of money decides to become a surrogate. She enters into a top secret, strict contract with the country's most well-known and influential evangelist, and ends up being held hostage, her identity practically erased. When she learns the truth about the child she carries and the danger she is in, she has to escape and find a way to show the world the truth, before it's buried. This book felt very much like Rosemary's Baby at times. Reading group guide included. ( )
  mandolin | Feb 26, 2009 |
A slow beginning and it dragged in the end, a decent read and I'll read another book by this author. ( )
  chaoscat60 | Apr 9, 2007 |
The baby was gone.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,948,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible