Pastrix: The Cranky, Beautiful Faith of a…

Pastrix: The Cranky, Beautiful Faith of a Sinner & Saint

by Nadia Bolz-Weber

Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? by Jeanette Winterson (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Both writers survive fundamentalist childhoods and difficult young adulthoods to attain a measure of serenity in middle age.

I first heard of Nadia Bolz-Weber on NPR. My first thought when I saw her was,, "Oh my she doesn't look like a Pastor. She looks more like a biker chick." This is precisely what was kind of cool about her, at first glance. She doesn't fit the mold. She is herself. She serves God the way she is, tattooed, cranky, irritable and humble at the same time. Her books read like a conversation. And she's funny. She tells you what she really thinks. Commentators have stated she is foul mouthed, and yeah, well, she is, but not the way I'd expected. It's not just trashy f-bombs being thrown around gratuitously. You get the feeling she's just one of those toughies. And it's genuine.
Normally I steer away from books with profanity but not this one. And not her other ones.

I don't agree with all of Nadia's beliefs, but I must say her theology is challenging. Her church serves the poor, feeds the hungry, clothes the naked, visits those in prison and embraces the rejected, scorned people of society, much like Jesus did. I'd love to visit her church sometime.

I recommend this book for everyone: Catholics, Conservative Evangelicals, Liberal Episcopalians, Atheists, Agnostics and all along the spectrum. ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
Very interesting and at times inspiring read about a woman's rocky road to becoming a minister and her ongoing wrestling with ideas about God, Jesus and all the other good stuff. If you like not a terribly demanding books about all of life's big questions, this is a good one for you.

(that sounded more flip than I meant it - what I mean to say is that it is not a difficult book to read - she has an easy-breezey style and she's quite funny. But she is taking on all the big stuff) ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
loved this book. funny, tender, heartfelt journey, creative learning at its best. life lessons. had a few of them - some may be on the horizon! read it in one sitting. ( )
  quakerkathleen | Apr 23, 2016 |
Tattooed. Self-described “cranky.” Cussing here and there.

And a pastor.

There is a lot here. ( )
  debnance | Dec 21, 2015 |

A former stand-up comic and recovering alchoholic, now a Lutheran pastor in Denver, describes her spiritual journey and her experiences at the House for All Sinners and Saints, a church she founded that welcomes a diverse congregation.

106 wanted1 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,831,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible