Dear Mr. Knightley: A Novel by Katherine…

Dear Mr. Knightley: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Katherine Reay

Collections:Your library, Jane Austen etc,
Rating:*****
Tags:contemporary, romance, epistolary, debut

Dear Mr. Knightley: A Novel by Katherine Reay

If you can suspend your belief quite a bit, this book is good. The main character's habit of quoting 19th-century fictional characters is supremely annoying though. ( )
  emilyesears | Aug 29, 2016 |
This book took a while to get going. The author lays a lot of character groundwork, and I almost got lost and cast it aside. I was also switching between audible and kindle and I believe listening to the beginning didn't help me gain traction. The narrator was great, but I think I could've more quickly arrived at the plot points with plain ol' reading.

In the end, the relationships, emotions, and plot twists were well worth it. I enjoyed it and re-read several passages, a sign of a good book for me. Also, the Austen quotes scattered throughout are a delight to Austen fans. I will read more of this author. ( )
  jonesfamily08 | Jun 1, 2016 |
Amazing twist

You fall in love with the characters, to love and hate their decisions in life. I never saw the twist to the ending. Great read. ( )
  Literature_Owl | May 26, 2016 |
Written mostly in letter format, this is the story of a young woman who has had a very hard childhood and finds it difficult to get through life. She's been offered a scholarship in journalism and writes these letters to her benefactor, who goes by the name Mr. Knightley. As the woman is an avid Jane Austen fan, she appreciates the name and keeps her benefactor up to date on the daily drama that is her life. It was pretty good but the ending was rushed and predictable so I dropped my rating from 4 to 3 stars. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
When I first started this book, I had a hard time with it because it is so similar to Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster, which I had read and loved as a teenager. I kept wondering why it hadn't said anything in the synopsis about Daddy Long Legs instead of making it sound like an Emma remake or something. However, as the characters became their own people, and the main character's obsession with Jane Austen books was explained, I could just enjoy the book without comparing. Besides, I was waaaayyyy more comfortable with the 5 or 6 year age difference in this one (with the main character, Sam, being in graduate school), than the 14 year age difference in Daddy Long Legs the novel, and the even more disturbing 30 year age difference between Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron in the movie version (with the main characters being 18 or 19).
Ewwww! (Said in a Jimmy Fallon voice.)

All of that being said, I grew to really love this book. Sam was such a flawed person, with a horrible past to overcome, and yet I liked her. She would recognize the flaws in her character and try to overcome them. I liked that she wasn't excelling in her course work but that she really had to work and fight for her grades and for a job at the end. Alex was perfect and I adored him. I know there are a lot of women who prefer their men to have a little bit of the dark mark or the black spot on them, but I prefer a gentleman such as Alex or "my Mr. Knightley".

I loved, Loved, LOVED all the book quotes. I would have failed miserably at Sam and Alex's game, but it was sure fun to read them and try to figure out where they came from. I thought it was cool that the author had "Sam's Reading List" at the end of the book, and they are all top favorites of mine as well. How could I not like this book?

I don't usually like Christian fiction, but I actually really liked the Christian element in this. It was never preachy, to me it was just...... right and true. I don't know how anyone gets through the bad times in life without the knowledge of a God who loves them. It wasn't overdone, and no religion was referenced.

Dear Mr. Knightley is not a fluff read, it is deep, heartrending, and heartfelt. If you would like a book that makes you want to read other books, that has a sweet romance, that has a girl overcoming massive obstacles, and that is clean, read this little gem. ( )
  Bduke | Sep 30, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140168968X, Paperback)

Samantha Moore has always hidden behind the words of others—namely her favorite characters in literature. Now, she will learn to write her own story—by giving that story to a complete stranger.

Growing up orphaned and alone, Sam found her best friends in the works of Austen, Dickens, and the Brontë sisters. The problem is that she now relates to others more comfortably as Elizabeth Bennet and Jane Eyre than as herself.

Sometimes we lose ourselves in the things we care about most.

But life for this twenty-three-year-old is about to get stranger than fiction, when an anonymous benefactor (calling himself “Mr. Knightley”) offers to put Sam through the prestigious Medill School of Journalism. There is only one catch: Sam must write frequent letters to the mysterious donor, detailing her progress.

As Sam’s program and peers force her to confront her past, she finds safety in her increasingly personal letters to Mr. Knightley. And when Sam meets eligible, best-selling novelist Alex Powell, those letters unfold a story of love and literature that feels as if it’s pulled from her favorite books. But when secrets come to light, Sam is – once again – made painfully aware of how easily trust can be broken.

Reay’s debut novel follows one young woman’s journey as she sheds her protective persona and embraces the person she was meant to become.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:03 -0400)

When an anonymous benefactor offers to put Samantha Moore through school, with the stipulation that she write frequent letters to him on her progress, Sam finds safety in the letters as her program and her peers force her to confront her past.

Katherine Reay is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,459,759 books! | Top bar: Always visible