I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This! by Bob…

I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This! (2006)

by Bob Newhart

It read like a lot of schtick that comprised his stand up acts. Very little personal info though.... ( )
  lhaines56 | Jun 9, 2019 |
Great read that sounds like a long conversation with Mr. Newhart. Well recommended. ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
This book is an excellent memoir written by an extremely funny man. His stories about other comedians were great as were the bits he included word-for-word. If you love Bob Newhart, you'll love his book. ( )
  Janine6877 | Jun 6, 2017 |
Excellent. I love Bob Newhart's comedy. His stories here are wonderfully funny...I was surprised at how many sections I highlighted. Some had me laughing out loud (literally...not the acronym thing). I got a chuckle from the part where he was sharing that he never understood why The Bob Newhart Show never won an Emmy:
We also didn't do shows on the heady material that Emmy voters seem to prefer. Our idea of a serious issue was when Emily and I were having a costume party at our apartment and Jerry arrives wearing an Uncle Sam costume. Then Marsha comes in wearing an Uncle Sam costume. Finally, Howard enters in the same Uncle Sam costume.
"That's weird," Jerry says, "We all rented the same costume."
"Howard replies, "What do you mean 'rented'?"

I could be Howard, because I don't have to rent my own Uncle Sam costume. The book reminded me how much I liked his two (successful) shows. Time to pull out the wayback machine and binge. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
I have always enjoyed Bob Newhart and this was a great book. It was nice to learn a bit about his real "life." His writing is almost as funny as his live comedy. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |

There has never been another comedian like Bob Newhart. His comedy albums, movies, and two hit television series have made him a national treasure and placed him firmly in the pantheon of comedy legends. Now, at last, Newhart puts his world view on paper. Never a punch-line comic, always more of a storyteller, he tells anecdotes from throughout his life and career, including his beginnings as an accountant, the groundbreaking success of his comedy albums, and his fifteen years on primetime television. He also gives his wry, comedic twist to a multitude of topics, including golf, drinking, and family holidays.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,622,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible