Wildwood Dancing

Wildwood Dancing (original 2006; edition 2006)

Series: The Other Kingdom (1)

Five sisters who live with their merchant father in Transylvania use a hidden portal in their home to cross over into a magical world, the Wildwood.
Member:KimberleyFisher
Title:Wildwood Dancing
Authors:
Info:(2006)

Work Information

Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier (2006)

Le daría cuatro estrellas, pero hay cosas que no me han convencido. Supongo que dejaré reposar mi opinión durante un par de días. ( )
  essuniz | Jan 5, 2021 |
4 1/2 stars. I loved this book. ( )
  Sparrowgirl | Dec 21, 2019 |
Me before: The Dancing Princesses meets Dracula? That sound so cool.
Me after: That wasn't cool.

Daughter of the Forest is one of my favorite books. I really wanted to love this book, but I couldn't.

For most of the book, our heroine runs into problem after problem that she cannot solve. So she doesn't solve them. Plot is by definition "and then something bad happened." If there are no problems, the book is boring. But after the problem there should be a solution. Our heroine is hindered because she is incapable of solving her problems. That gets tedious very quickly. Your cousin is a controlling asshole? Nothing you can do. Fairy land is in terrible danger? Fairies just want to party and won't help. Your idiot sister falls in love with a vampire? Your idiot sister remains an idiot and continues to fall in love with said vampire. And on, and on. Jena could be a great heroine, but her utter helplessness in the face of disaster makes it hard to like her and get invested in the story.

Also one of the major plot twists is terribly obvious, and there is no chemistry between Jena and her love interest. Also the mirror thing was cheap. And the author tells instead of shows way too often.

Also, I have zero patients for idiot sisters. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
This was a before Goodreads book so I can't tell my exact thought on it, other than that I really loved it! ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
Really enjoyable. I admire the way Marillier incorporates legend and myth in her stories, making her imaginary worlds seamlessy believable. Now I must look for Wildwood #2. ( )
  ClareRhoden | Jan 13, 2018 |

Juliet Marillierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Craft, Kinuko Y.Cover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drolsbach, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guest, Kim MaiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Een aangrijpend fantasy-sprookje
To my granddaughter Claire
I've heard it said that girls can't keep secrets.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,455,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible