Fantastical Ramblings by Irene Radford

Fantastical Ramblings (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Irene Radford

Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:Fantastical Ramblings
Authors:Irene Radford
Info:Book View Cafe
Collections:Read, Read this year, ebooks, Working on
Rating:**1/2
Tags:SF, _import131202, Fic, __make_cover, _importpack1, !ER

Fantastical Ramblings by Irene Radford (2013)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really didn't find a single story I enjoyed here. Most of them seemed largely pointless - someone did something, usually with great effort, and it made little to no difference in the long run. Many of these stories are part of larger universes - she references both her Guardians and at least one shared world - none of which I'm familiar with, so that may be part of why these didn't work for me. I'm still going to try more of her novels - I've enjoyed the one I read - but I don't think her short work suits me. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Sep 14, 2018 |
I rather enjoyed this book at the time. I enjoy short stories, especially sifi/fantasy. This wasn't overly memorable, but enjoyable none the less. ( )
  alanbethcam | Mar 7, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Since there were exactly 12 stories in this book and I was on a trip to visit family that would take 12 days, I decided to read one story each day. Well. The first story was so much fun, I sneaked ahead to the next one and then, well, I read the whole book in one sitting. Each story is full of wondrous characters, some of them non-human, and delicious conundrums with interesting resolutions. I thoroughly enjoyed it. ( )
  Nightwing | Jan 4, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love finding a collection of works from an author I had not read before. I do not read monthly short story magazines in the fantasy genre, which means I would miss Irene Radford's work otherwise. Fantastical Ramblings is a great name and good reading.

There's a nice variety in the twelve stories. Two I would consider YA, Image of the Beast and Friends in Strange Places. Then there are four stories, each pair from broader collections of their own concepts, like Merlin's Descendents. The other two are written about the Columbia River Gorge, a place I have visited and find as special as the author.

The remainder of the stories made the rest of the reading just as enjoyable. The Final Choice should be read on Dec 31st, maybe before the bubbly is uncorked.

It was easy to pick my favorite story, Dragon's Treasure. It has humor, books, a snippy pixie, and a librarian. It was a story I wished I had written and I applaud Irene for it. ( )
  lusi222 | Oct 27, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book is a collection of short stories that are all related to the authors other pieces of work. To me it was like watching movie trailers. You can get an idea what the actual story is about, but if you want all details you need to read the whole book. This made me want to read a lot of the author works. ( )
  sportzmomof5 | Oct 4, 2013 |

Roam with Herakles in search of a safe home for a magical sword, go into exile with a descendant of Merlin, and learn the wisdom of a wolfhound pup to wander along newly forged paths into the imagination. Award winning author Irene Radford presents twelve fantasy stories including classics, out of print anthology pieces, and a tantalizing new tale or two.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Irene Radford's book Fantastical Ramblings was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,820,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible