Sweet Thunder: A Novel

by Ivan Doig

Series: Whistling Season (3)

After inheriting a fixer-upper, newlywed Morrie Morgan returns to 1920s Butte, Montana, to fight a rival newspaper and help the miners working for the Anaconda Copper Mining Company.

This was a fun end to the Morrie Morgan series. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Apr 25, 2022 |
Couldn't get into this tale of union - vs - copper bosses in 1920s Montana, centered around a pro-union newspaper.

Sounds good, I know -- that's why I swapped for it. But the narrative voice is really annoying and the characters (usually a strength for Doig) were flat and lifeless. ( )
  LyndaInOregon | Dec 27, 2021 |
I'm a fan of Ivan Doig and thought that Whistling Season was near a masterpiece. But Sweet Thunder doesn't measure up, despite often being quite entertaining and deftly written. The characters, the plot, the circumstances often seem slightly contrived. That said, it is a fun read, very lighthearted. ( )
  rongeigle | Dec 29, 2014 |
Great historical fiction of Butte in the days of Anaconda Company rule. Main character is a newspaper writer specializing in Editorial views on a newspaper fighting the owned newspaper of Anaconda company and fighting for the miners. Another excellent Ivan Doig masterpiece. ( )
  ZachMontana | Sep 18, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Sweet Thunder, the third in Ivan Doig's series set in early 20th century Montana, finds our favorite Montana transplant, Morrie Morgan, newly married and just returning from a year long honeymoon trip around the world at the tail end of 1920. Circumstances bring the newlyweds back to Butte where Morrie finds new ways of assisting the union cause and fighting against the powerful and far-reaching Anaconda Copper Mining Company.

Ever the clever wordsmith, Morrie's talents are put to use at the newly founded Butte newspaper, the Thunder, which pits itself editorially against the Anaconda controlled Butte Daily Post. As always we have a full cast of interesting characters and tricky situations for Morrie to either participate in or extricate himself from. Just for some of the latter, the book was worth reading for me.

Some reviewer called this book "history light" and that's fine because some days, that's just how I like my history. A visit with Morrie Morgan and company is always a pleasant way to learn a few things about Montana life. ( )
  karen_o | Apr 5, 2014 |

Belongs to Series

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ivan Doig's book Sweet Thunder was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,320,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible