Glitter & Mayhem by Lynne M. Thomas

Glitter & Mayhem

by Lynne M. Thomas, John Klima (Editor), Michael D. Thomas (Editor), Michael Damian Thomas (Editor)

Other authors: Christopher Barzak (Contributor), Amber Benson (Introduction), Maurice Broaddus (Contributor), Laura Chavoen (Contributor), Galen Dara (Cover artist)18 more, Alan DeNiro (Contributor), Amal El-Mohtar (Contributor), Daryl Gregory (Contributor), Damien Walters Grintalis (Contributor), Marina Dahvana Headley (Contributor), Kat Howard (Contributor), Kyle S. Johnson (Contributor), Vylar Kaftan (Contributor), Seanan McGuire (Contributor), Jennifer Pelland (Contributor), Tim Pratt (Contributor), Cat Rambo (Contributor), Diana Rowland (Contributor), Sofia Samatar (Contributor), David John Schwartz (Contributor), William Shunn (Contributor), Cory Skerry (Contributor), Rachel Swirsky (Contributor)

Series: InCryptid (“Bad Dream Girl”)

This book gives you exactly what it says on the cover: glitter and mayhem. I have never read so much disco, roller skating/disco/derby, glitter, and drugs in one place. And I loved it.

I tried to make a list of the stories that stood out for me and realized I was listing pretty much the entire table of contents. It's hard to pick favorites, though "Sister Twelve: Confessions of a Party Monster" by Christopher Barzak was a great retelling of a fairy tale and will stick with me for a long time.

(Note: I participated in the Kickstarter for this book.) ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
It was nice to finally meet Antimony. I hope this doesn't preclude a book with her as the main narrator. ( )
  acf151 | Jun 18, 2016 |
  acf151 | Jun 18, 2016 |
*This review is only for the InCryptid section of the anthology at this time*

I love the InCryptid world so much more than I thought I would before I started the series. One of the greatest things is honestly these shorts! I feel that they give us just a little taste into the inside world of some of the family members that aren't featured as heavily in the main series and I have to admit I love those little tastes! We read a bit more about Antimony and her Roller Derby in this short. I love Roller Derby so I'm partial, but I love reading about her adventures on and off the track. I hope we get more! ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Four good stories, and one excellent - and 15 ranging from incomprehensible to obnoxious. Not a winner, unfortunately. I'll keep an eye out for the authors of the good stories - I know Seanan already, of course. ER book, as an ebook.
#Sister Twelve - her choice sounds like a slice of hell to me, but it was her choice. Pretty unpleasant person, though.
#Apex Jump - interesting. Good description (because not clear) of the assorted aliens. Also good outcome of the contest - no miracle team, just doing ok. And I finally understand how to score in roller derby.
#With Her Hundred Miles to Hell - I have no idea what's going on. Everyone died, so she can just do the same thing as always? But happier? I can't even tell if it's a nightclub with a gimmick or actual gods & magic. Or both.
#Star Dancer ends up amusing, though she's pretty dumb and self-focused. The human, I mean - the alien is _very_ dumb and self-focused, but at least she knows and admits it (diva).
#Of Selkies - weird. The story is pretty straightforward, though the conclusion is a touch vague. The structure, however, is severely peculiar, and makes it hard to see what's going on. Besides - according to Arturo, the most important thing in that whole story was that he came out to Annie and broke her heart. Yeah...is he that dumb?
#Sooner Than Gold - The story is pretty straightforward, but still leaves me with a huh? effect. What are the dogs and their owners? What is the chest? Why _is_ he still chained? Too many questions, no conclusions. And I don't like him.
#Subterraneans - ew. Shirley is several kinds of asshole, and the fact that most (but certainly not all) of her victims are also assholes doesn't excuse her. And what will she do now?
#The Minotaur Girls - Weird, but I think I like her. She's kind of dumb, in the way of fourteen- (or fifteen-) year-olds, but she takes action and continues to take action to benefit others. Nice, after all this self-centered lot.
#Unable to Reach You - ick again. The protagonist isn't as bad as some, but he's such a loser - bad choices, and others suffer for it. Pity, since he was trying to be decent.
#Such & Such Said to So & So - Yuck. Don't like the style (hardbitten), don't like the protagonist (do nothing), the story is opaque - basically nothing happens. Big buildup that someone actually died, then...nothing. And the cats and dogs thing makes less sense than the rest of it. Ugh.
#Revels in the Land of Ice - I like this one. An active, non-selfish protagonist, and a reasonably happy ending (with questionmarks). Plus I live close to Berkeley - funny familiarity.
#Bess, the Landlord's Daughter - EWW. Again, their choices sound like a slice of hell to me - they were (well, Bess was - don't know the Green Girl) voluntary victims, and now they make everyone they meet involuntary victims. Maybe the old woman is part of the story, maybe she's just random. And - they've been men and women and children and all sorts of things, but they can't get rid of the wounds? Talk about not moving on.
#Blood and Sequins - Hah. This one I like. Interesting subtle weirdness - I'd like to know more about Kyle and friends - but more importantly the protagonists are not utterly self-absorbed, they're cops and doing their job - and creators along with it. Good people, I'd like to see more of them too. And a happy ending, even!
#Two-minute Warning - Not really sure what's going on here - specifically, not sure which meaning of "die" she was using. Also not sure what she's going to do, in her crippled suit - does time run out, eventually? Sounds like an interesting world, but this story left me rather confused.
#Inside Hides the Monster - Again, utterly confusing - at least she has reason to be self-absorbed, though. Neither she nor I understand what's going on at the end. Just - no idea.
#Bad Dream Girl - Ah, lovely. This is why I got the book, for the Seanan story - didn't know it would be an Incryptid one, though. And here's a protagonist who starts out going out of her way to help and protect people - the self-absorbed brat is the villain. So - good story (well-written), about good people. Excellent.
#A Hollow Play - Huh, funny. Here I can see and understand all the events, but I have no clue about motivations. Did Paige quit talking because Anna came out? Is Anna just trying to grab on to Emily as a substitute? If Paige was depressed, why is she happy in the glimpse - is it momentary, or did she solve things, or what? I don't object to the story - it's not offensive like a lot of these - but there's not enough there for me to like it.
#Just Another Future Song - This would be more interesting if I had any clue who he is/was. Elvis? Liberace? Someone else? Odd story, but like the last it has nothing that lets me connect with it.
#The Electric Spanking - Ick and yawn. _Not_ anything I know or care about (is there anyone who actually does that funk stuff, or is it as 70s-movie stereotyped as it appears to me?). The story is silly, the setting is incomprehensible (to me) - utterly pointless.
#All That Fairytale Crap - And we're back where we began - her choice is dancing and drinking and drugging and achieving exactly nothing. Ugh. It's also totally meta and therefore makes no sense - the inexplicable bear is the most interesting character in the story. But mostly, she makes her choices and chooses to waste herself and her life on passing the time. I repeat, ugh. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Sep 19, 2014 |

Shunn, WilliamContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Skerry, CoryContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Swirsky, RachelContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This anthology is dedicated to Arachne Jericho and
all of our glittery Kickstarter backers.

This party is for you.
“There will be Glitter/There will be Mayhem/We will drink your solid gold milkshake/Drink it down to the very last drop.”

Introduction
It didn't take with me, the world and its rules, the things it expected of me.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Lynne M. Thomas's book Glitter & Mayhem was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,001,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible