The First Lie by Diane Chamberlain

The First Lie (edition 2013)

by Diane Chamberlain (Author)

Series: Necessary Lies (.5)

From the author of The Midwife's Confession comes this 10,000 word e-original short story that sets the stage for Diane Chamberlain's upcoming novel Necessary Lies. Before Necessary Lies came the first lie . . . If you're a fan of Jodi Picoult, you'll love Diane Chamberlain . . . It's 1958 in rural North Carolina, where thirteen-year-old Ivy Hart lives with her grandmother and sister on a tobacco farm. As tenant farmers, Ivy and her family don't have much freedom, though she and her best friend, Henry, often sneak away in search of adventure. But everything changes when Ivy's teenage sister gives birth, refusing to reveal the identity of the baby's father. Soon Ivy finds herself unravelling a dark web of family secrets and trying to make sense of her ever-evolving life in the segregated South.… (more)
Member:lisamccall
Title:The First Lie
Authors:Diane Chamberlain (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Press (2013), 59 pages

Work Information

The First Lie by Diane Chamberlain

I read this short story straight after Necessary Lies and thought it was a nice addition to the story. It's technically a prequel but if you read it first the full meaning of it won't be clear. I really enjoyed it. ( )
  nicx27 | Mar 14, 2016 |
So, here we meet Ivy. Ivy is a young girl in he 1950s, when things were a lot different and the races were still separate. The rural US was a very different place back then. There were no electronics to entertain, so you have to find your own adventures. But Ivy's family has some secrets of their own.

Ivy's story caught my attention in a way that history always does. Every once in a while, I enjoy a good little historical read. I even enjoy quick little reads from time to time. But, I wanted more from Ivy. I wanted there to be more substance. I just wanted more.

You see, many would see a story that leaves you wanting more as a great thing. But I got this "something is missing" feeling. I know this is basically a glimpse of what is to come in a novel and the novel will probably answer all of my unanswered questions, but I just felt ...missing.

I am not saying the story line is bad, or there were editing issues, because neither of those is the case. I think the author captured the time period and the backgrounds very well. I will read the novel when it releases because I need to know what happens to the baby. If you like historical fiction and want a quick read, then you should definitely pick this up.

Thanks to the publisher for a review copy. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

Thanks to the publisher for a review copy. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
The First Lie gives readers an early glimpse into the life of thirteen-year-old Ivy Hart. It’s 1958 in rural North Carolina, where Ivy lives with her grandmother and sister on a tobacco farm.

Loved this compelling e-short story, setting the stage for Necessary Lies (which I have already read --an advanced reading copy—and loved it)! It was nice to go back to revisit and learn more about Mary Ella and of course Ivy—

Small town with big secrets and lies. Would highly recommend both! Diane never disappoints! ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
I have read several of Diane Chamberlain's books in the past few months and can honestly say I can't pick my favorite because they all are great.

The short "The First Lie" introduces you to some of the characters in the book "Necessary Lies" and gives you just enough so that you want to find out more.

Great intro to a book that I'm sure will be amazing. ( )
  tennwisc | Jul 15, 2014 |

Belongs to Series

Diane Chamberlain is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,088,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible