The Little Paris Bookshop: A Novel by Nina…

The Little Paris Bookshop: A Novel (original 2013; edition 2016)

by Nina George (Author)

""There are books that are suitable for a million people, others for only a hundred. There are even remedies--I mean books--that were written for one person only...A book is both medic and medicine at once. It makes a diagnosis as well as offering therapy. Putting the right novels to the appropriate ailments: that's how I sell books." Monsieur Perdu calls himself a literary apothecary. From his floating bookstore in a barge on the Seine, he prescribes novels for the hardships of life. Using his intuitive feel for the exact book a reader needs, Perdu mends broken hearts and souls. The only person he can't seem to heal through literature is himself; he's still haunted by heartbreak after his great love disappeared. She left him with only a letter, which he has never opened. After Perdu is finally tempted to read the letter, he hauls anchor and departs on a mission to the south of France, hoping to make peace with his loss and discover the end of the story. Joined by a bestselling but blocked author and a lovelorn Italian chef, Perdu travels along the country's rivers, dispensing his wisdom and his books, showing that the literary world can take the human soul on a journey to heal itself. Internationally bestselling and filled with warmth and adventure, The Little Paris Bookshop is a love letter to books, meant for anyone who believes in the power of stories to shape people's lives"--… (more)
Member:BZ20
Title:The Little Paris Bookshop: A Novel
Authors:Nina George (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (2016), Edition: Reprint, 416 pages

The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George (2013)

English (178)  German (4)  Dutch (3)  Piratical (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (188)
  BLTSbraille | Sep 14, 2021 |
Lovely story of heartbreak and disapppointment lived with for decades, then finally addressed during a journey of the canals of France. The relationships developed with people also dealing with their own suffering and how the relationships helped each to heal.
  ElizabethCromb | Aug 26, 2021 |
A book with the word “Bookshop” in its title is my kinda book, so I had to read this. I have to say this book left me feeling very very disappointed. Monsieur Perdu lives alone in Paris and owns a book barge called Literary Apothecary. He recommends books to people based on what he thinks they really need to read in their current emotional state. The love of his life walked away from him 21 years ago and he has just being going through the motions since, not letting anyone into his life. He knows everything about all his neighbors in his building but no one knows the real him. Until a shocking secret turns his life upside down and he embarks on a sudden journey to find life and love again.

The book is supposed to be about love, loss, grief and getting through all of them with the love of books. Somehow, I just couldn’t connect with the story or the characters. The book went on and on and after a while, I just skimmed a lot of the pages. Almost everything about the book seemed so unrealistic to me, even the fact that every single person we meet in the book is a book lover or reader. I would love if the world was like that, but it truly isn’t. The only reason I finished the book and even rated it is because it has some beautiful quotes that make you think and contemplate. Unfortunately, these little words of wisdom don’t make up for the lack of a good story. ( )
  ksahitya1987 | Aug 20, 2021 |
Fell for this one hook, line, and sinker. Charming, charming, charming! ( )
  CaitlinMcC | Jul 11, 2021 |
The reader is required to be patient and to sink themselves in the locale of The Little Paris Bookshop. One must also lay down judgement and take in the many descriptions from the detailed characters. This is not a surface book or a story that would dwell in the same microwave world that many are accustomed to today. I could see these sunsets, feel the salt air, taste the delicious meals as I read. Many catch phrases and recipes worth noting. I'd count myself fortunate to have a friendship with this Soul Reader as we traveled on a barge with special books along with cats, authors and wine...to float to "live". ( )
  BONS | Mar 25, 2021 |

Nina Georgeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bering, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Junker Miranda, UlrikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pare, SimonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Ich widme diesen Roman meinem Vater
Joachim Albert Wolfgang George, genannt Jo der Breite.
Sawalde/Eichwaldau 20. März 1938-4. April 2011, Hameln.

Papa, mit dir ist der einzige Mensch gestorben, der alles gelesen hat, was ich je schrieb, seit ich schreiben konnte. Du wirst mir fehlen, immer.
Ich sehe dich in jedem Licht des Abends und in jeder Welle aller Meere. Du gingst mitten im Wort.

Nina George, im Januar 2013
Den Verlorenen gewidmet. Und jenen, die sie immer noch lieben.
I dedicate this novel to my father,
JOACHIM ALBERT GEORGE,
known as Broad Jo.
March 20, 1938 (Sawade/Eichwaldau)—
April 4, 2011 (Hamelin)

Papa,
you were the only person who read everything I ever
wrote from the moment I learned to write. I will miss
you at all times.  I see you in every ray of evening
light and in every wave of every sea.
You left in mid sentence.

Nina George,
January 2013
Dedicated to the departed.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
And to those who go on loving them.
Wie konnte es nur passieren, dass ich mich dazu überreden liess?
How on earth could I have let them talk me into it?
Memories are like wolves. You can't lock them away and hope they leave you alone.
"What is wrong with old? Age isn't a disease. We all grow old, even books. But are you, is anyone, worth less, or less important, because they've been around for longer?"
"Books keep stupidity at bay. And vain hopes. And vain men. They undress you with love, strength and knowledge. It's love from within. Make your choice: book or …"
You only really get to know your husband when he walks out on you.
"As long as she doesn't turn out too smart for men."
"For the stupid ones, she will, Madame. But who wants them anyway? A stupid man is every woman's downfall."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,398,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible