The Monarch of the Glen (American Gods…

The Monarch of the Glen (American Gods Novella) (edition 2016)

by Neil Gaiman (Author)

Member:Rubbah
Title:The Monarch of the Glen (American Gods Novella)
Authors:Neil Gaiman (Author)
Info:Headline (2016), 128 pages

The Monarch of the Glen by Neil Gaiman

Great novella follow-up to American Gods that opens up whole new avenues of inquiry for Shadow and related characters from AG. ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
Shadow has been travelling for 2 years when he arrives in a small village in Scotland. He is offered some easy money to be a bouncer at a private party but he's really there to fight the monster.
A short quick read. Entertaining. ( )
  TheWasp | Mar 18, 2017 |
“The Monarch of the Glen” is a novella set after American Gods, featuring the main character from that story. It was only 62 pages, so it wasn’t nearly as meaty of a story as the book it was based off of, but I did enjoy it. We find out what Shadow has been up to in the months following American Gods, and he once again manages to get himself into trouble. Aside from Shadow, the other characters are pretty much new characters. It was entertaining, but quick, and I’m not sure the story will really stick with me aside from maybe blurring together with the original book.

I don’t think you can get this novella by itself anymore. It’s contained in two anthologies: Fragile Things which contains several stories by Neil Gaiman, and Legends II which is an anthology of stories by various authors. I really didn’t want to read an entire anthology at this point; I just wanted to read the novella and then move on to the other full-length book in this series, Anansi Boys. So I borrowed Legends II from the library, read just the novella, then turned it back in. If the Neil Gaiman anthology had been available at my library, I might have been more tempted to read the whole thing while I had access to it. I was far less tempted with Legends II, because I think most of those stories are set in established worlds that I haven’t read yet. I’d rather wait and read them as part of the larger series they each belong to. ( )
  YouKneeK | Aug 28, 2016 |

Shadow Moon has been away from America for nearly two years. His nights are broken with dangerous dreams. Sometimes he almost believes he doesn't care if he ever returns home.

In the Highlands of Scotland, where the sky is pale white and it feels as remote as any place can possibly be, the beautiful and the wealthy gather at a grand old house in the glen. And when the strange local doctor offers him work at the party, Shadow is intrigued.

So what do they want with him?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,736,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible