The Men Who United the States: America's…

The Men Who United the States: America's Explorers, Inventors, Eccentrics… (2013)

by Simon Winchester

Much like Atlantic, another rambly Winchesterian tome, combining short biographies, historical anecdotes, personal stories, &c., this time about such things as canals, railroads, airplanes, radios, &c. ( )
  JBD1 | Sep 6, 2018 |
I enjoyed the stories that were presented, but by spanning such a long period of time I felt that much of the impact that Mr. Winchester captures in his other books (Krakatoa, The Map that Changed the World, etc.) was diluted. The information presented was still exciting and fun to read, but I would have liked to have had more depth on narrower topics. ( )
  GeoffHabiger | Jun 13, 2018 |
Simon Winchester is one my of my very favorite authors. He wrote The Professor and the Mad Man,(a MUST read), A Crack in the Edge of the World, The Man Who Loved China, Krakatoa, Atlantic, The Alice Behind Wonderland, The River at the Center of the World, and The Meaning of Everything. I've read all but The River at the Center of the World and Atlantic. Therefore I expected a lot. He did not disappoint. While I think the Professor and the Mad Man is my favorite, it is hard to pick a second - but if I had to, I think this would be it. Trying to write about almost everything that went into creating the United States is a daunting task, but he organized the book into areas that made perfect sense, brilliantly told stories about each, and then neatly tied it all together in the Epilogue in an unforgettable way. If you want to know the history of the United States told in a unique and unforgettable fashion - this is clearly the book. I am also of big fan of David McCullough's Brave Companions, which is another fascinating look at American history, but Winchester's book is broader in scope and has man more intriguing stories. Highly recommend this book. ( )
  bjtimm | Nov 8, 2016 |
I caught so many errors and faults of research in the areas I knew something about that I simply could not trust the rest of this book. He writes well -- but has either outsourced his research or done it really really bad. This gets an F for untrustworthy.
  revliz | Jun 30, 2016 |
Interesting way to organize the development of the U.S., lovely details and anecdotes, great vocabulary. Lots of the author's own experiences blend with history. ( )
  Smoscoso | May 5, 2016 |
Winchester is America in miniature: many talents, many loyalties and numerous, often contradictory opinions. He’s a bundle of contradictions. Little wonder he finally feels at home.

Simon Winchesterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ljoenes, RichardCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Think of the United States today - the facts of these thirty-eight or forty empires solder'd in one - sixty or seventy millions of equals, with their lives, their passions, their future - these incalculable, modern, American, seething multitudes around us, of which we are inseparable parts!
- Walt Whitman, A Backward Glance o'er Travell'd Roads (Preface to the 1898 edition of Leaves of Grass)
(Preface) Early in the crisp small hours of November 7, 2012, a weary but exultant Barack Obama was thanking his countrymen for just handing him a second term as forty-fourth president of the United States.
Thomas Jefferson was a man with a lifelong fascination with trees.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062079603, Hardcover)

Simon Winchester, the acclaimed New York Times bestselling author of Atlantic and The Professor and the Madman, delivers his first book about America: a fascinating popular history that illuminates the men who toiled fearlessly to discover, connect, and bond the citizenry and geography of the U.S.A. from its beginnings.

How did America become “one nation, indivisible”? What unified a growing number of disparate states into the modern country we recognize today? To answer these questions, Winchester follows in the footsteps of America’s most essential explorers, thinkers, and innovators, such as Lewis and Clark and the leaders of the Great Surveys; the builders of the first transcontinental telegraph and the powerful civil engineer behind the Interstate Highway System. He treks vast swaths of territory, from Pittsburgh to Portland, Rochester to San Francisco, Seattle to Anchorage, introducing the fascinating people who played a pivotal role in creating today’s United States.

Throughout, he ponders whether the historic work of uniting the States has succeeded, and to what degree. Featuring 32 illustrations throughout the text, The Men Who United the States is a fresh look at the way in which the most powerful nation on earth came together.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:58 -0400)

Acclaimed New York Times bestselling author Winchester illuminates the men who toiled fearlessly to discover, connect, and bond the citizenry and geography of the U.S.A. from its beginnings and ponders whether the historic work of uniting the States has succeeded, and to what degree.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,556,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible