The Bootlegger by Clive Cussler

The Bootlegger

by Clive Cussler, Justin Scott

A fast paced tale of the beginnings of the Prohibition era in the United States. Isaac Bell, of the Van Dorn Detective Agency, drops his boss, Joe Van Dorn, off at a Coast Guard vessel that is patrolling the NYC Harbor for rumrunners. Unfortunately, a black sleek boat attacks the slow Coast Guard ship. Joe helps out by taking over a gun, but is shot. He is rushed to the hospital in very bad condition. Isaac is left in charge of the gen you and his first duty is to find whoever shot Joe Van Dorn. Isaac has to find some former agents to help in the search, as the Agency is low on detectives due to WWI. Isaac directs the agents to find the black boat, which leads to the Russia connection of Russian Revolutionaries operating in the US trying to subvert the country. The Russians are using rumrunning to support their activity. The action runs from NYC to Detroit and downnto Miami. I found the fast pace refreshing after reading the past two slower moving books in this series. The series appears back on track. ( )
  Raspberrymocha | Jul 24, 2018 |
action-adventure, Isaac Bell, thriller/suspense

Nobody does action, adventure, suspense, and a solid historical background in a novel like Clive Cussler! During the time of the Volstead Act and the rise of communism, Isaac Bell takes on the bootleggers who nearly killed Joe Van Dorn. Gripping tale despite my nerdy tendency to check the historicity of the background as the spirit strikes.
Scott Brick does Cussler proud as usual. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Mar 25, 2017 |
While reading:
I don't know if it's the person reading the book or the actual text, but so far this book is horrible. It doesn't have a good easy flow to it.

I think I'm finally finding what's bugging me so much about this book: Too much exposition, not enough dialogue. Too much tell, not enough show. I can't tell who the characters are...
*****

Oh ugh. The reader was trying to sound like James Garner and didn't pass muster. The facts might be accurate but as I said before, too much tell not enough show. The character was set to say something and it's described with the words he said rather than the actual speech.

To be honest, I learned a lot to help my own writing. It felt horrible. The fact that Clive Cussler outsourced this story should also be a telling fact. Staff writer, new writer, what have you. Horrible. ( )
  gilroy | Oct 2, 2015 |
  Tutter | Feb 26, 2015 |
This was a fast paced, historically/geographically accurate adventure taking place during the American prohibition era, featuring mafia like characters, rum runners, international intrigue, and quite a bit of excitement.

What especially appealed to me was the location that much of the story took place. Where you may ask? One of the hot spots of rum running - Windsor/Detroit. The places, especially in Detroit, can be looked up on and found with minimal effort. They were actual places!

This was my first, but certainly not last Cussler book. ( )
  TJCams | Jun 20, 2014 |

Clive Cusslerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Scott, Justinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Two men in expensive clothes, a bootlegger and his bodyguard, dangled a bellboy upside down from the Hotel Gotham's parapet.

"It is 1920, and both Prohibition and bootlegging are in full swing. When Isaac Bell's boss and lifelong friend Joseph Van Dorn is shot and nearly killed leading the high-speed chase of a rum-running vessel, Bell swears to him that he will hunt down the lawbreakers, but he doesn't know what he is getting into. When a witness to Van Dorn's shooting is executed in a ruthlessly efficient manner invented by the Russian secret police, it becomes clear that these are no ordinary criminals. Bell is up against a team of Bolshevik assassins and saboteurs--and they are intent on overthrowing the government of the United States"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,482,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible