Zand over Elena by Elizabeth George

Zand over Elena (original 1992; edition 2003)

by Elizabeth George (Author)

Elena Weaver was a surprise to anyone meeting her for the first time. In her clingy dresses and dangling earrings, she exuded a sexuality at odds with the innocence projected by the unicorn posters on her walls. While her embittered mother fretted about her welfare from her home in London, in Cambridge -- where Elena was a student at St. Stephens College -- her father and his second wife each had their own very different image of the girl. As for Elena, she lived a life of casual and intense physical and emotional relationships, with scores to settle and goals to achieve -- until someone, lying in wait along the route she ran every morning, bludgeoned her to death. Unwilling to turn the killing over to the local police, the university calls in New Scotland Yard. Thus, Detective Inspector Thomas Lynley and his partner, Detective Sergeant Barbara Havers, enter the rarefied world of Cambridge University, where academic gowns often hide murderous intentions. For both officers, the true identity of Elena Weaver proves elusive. Each relationship the girl left behind casts new light both on Elena and on those people who appeared to know her best -- from an unsavory Swedish-born Shakespearean professor to the brooding head of the Deaf Students Union.… (more)
Member:MMLB
Title:Zand over Elena
Authors:Elizabeth George (Author)
Info:Bruna Uitgevers, A.W. (2003), Edition: 01, 399 pages

For the Sake of Elena by Elizabeth George (1992)

English (36)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (42)
college girl killed by father's ex-lover, Lynley courts Lady Helen
  ritaer | Apr 1, 2021 |
"George’ weet telkens opnieuw te verrassen met haar karakters en een extraatje toe te voegen. Wederom heb ik genoten van een Lynley en Havers verhaal!" https://elinevandm.wordpress.com/2019/03/15/zand-over-elena-van-elizabeth-george... ( )
  elinevandm | Mar 2, 2021 |
Elena Weaver is a beautiful, sexually precocious, and extremely troubled student at St. Stephens College in Cambridge. One morning Elena is out running when she's attacked and killed by an unknown person. Detective Inspector Thomas Lynley is assigned to the case, along with his longtime partner, Sergeant Barbara Havers. Lynley is more than happy to take on the assignment because Lady Helen Clyde, the woman he has been in love with for some time, is in Cambridge and staying with her sister Penelope. Meanwhile, Sergeant Havers has problems of her own. Her elderly mother suffers from dementia and Barbara is not able to care for her alone. After several disasters with hired caregivers, she now faces a difficult decision to either continue with things as they are or put her mother into an assisted living facility. The further Lynley and Havers get into the investigation of Elena's murder the less they understand. Elena's lifestyle attracted many potential suspects and more than one character had murderous intentions. Past hurts and resentments are played out and this ends up being a story of unrealized dreams and guilt and revenge. When I got to the final chapters I couldn't believe who the killer was, much less the motive.

The heart of George's stories are the deeply flawed characters. Lynley and Havers crackle with chemistry as usual and the rest of the players are equally entertaining. The description and atmosphere of Cambridge seemed very realistic. I think this is one of the best of the five books of the series and I'm definitely going to move on the #6, Finding Joseph. ( )
1 vote Olivermagnus | Jul 2, 2020 |
Wow. I really really liked this one a lot. I have to say that George did a masterful job of peeling off the layers of who murdered Elena Weaver as well as how Lynley has been selfish in his pursuit of Lady Helen. We also get a great look at Havers home life now that her father has passed. Havers struggles with whether she can keep having a neighbor watch her mother or finally have her mother at a home where she can be safe, and Havers can have some sort of life.

"For the Sake of Elena" has Scotland Yard called in when a young woman, Elena Weaver, is found murdered during her morning run. Elena was a student at St. Stephen's College and had some rocky times at school and with her father and their relationship. When she's found murdered it ends up not only affecting her father, mother, and stepmother, but many people who all seemed to think that they knew the real Elena.
Lynley volunteers to go in after Scotland Yard is requested to oversee things. Havers and she go to Cambridge. Lynley happily because Lady Helen is there with her sister and he thinks once again he can make his case for her to love and be with him. Lynley and Havers work together very well in this one and their dynamic is more solid.

Lynley is more solid in this one. He is still thinking of Helen, but not to the detriment of the case. He and Havers play off each other very well. And then Lynley sees a way to see Helen and involve her sister in the case which at first I was kind of rolling my eyes about. However, we come to realize why Helen's sister Pen is a good woman to have involved in this.

Helen is still reluctant to be with Lynley. Living with her sister who is suffering from post-partum but also her loss of self due to her husband and his demands one does not wonder why she's reluctant to be with Lynley and be his wife. I kept hoping someone would smash her brother in law's head in.

Havers I felt the most sorry for in this one. She's doing great with not letting things that people say to her bother her. She's not as fragile in this one I think. However, she's running out of time to decide what to do with her mother. Hopefully in the next book that's laid to rest.

The secondary characters we follow, Sarah Gordon who finds Elena's body, Elena's father who is hoping to be named Chair at the college, her stepmother Justine who resents Elena and a lot of other things in her marriage, Elena's embittered mother, several men who loved and were in turns frustrated with her. I think that it was good to get a sense of Elena at the beginning and to see why she was pretty much a chameleon with everyone she met. She was always something else depending on the audience. I don't want to spoil for other readers, but I definitely wonder what would have happened if Elena had lived.

The writing was very good. I do think that the flow was slow at times. I wondered why we spent time with certain characters, it becomes clear after a while though why we did.

The setting of the college is a bit different than the boy's school we saw in "Well-Schooled in Murder." This place doesn't seem dark and full of secrets.

The ending was definitely a surprise. We find out who killed Elena and why. We also finally hopefully get an end to that whole thing with Lady Helen one way or the other. It has distracted from the main mysteries for me. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
For The Sake Of Elena (1992) (Insp. Lynley #5) by Elizabeth George. Cambridge is the setting for the latest murder that Lynley and Havers are called on to solve. Elena Weaver was a student at college. Bright, young, attractive, hated by many, and born deaf but raised to pass for hearing, she was a complex young woman. But now she has been bludgeoned to death during an early morning run.
Her father is a professor of history and is in the running for an important chair. He also has troubles lurking in his past. His second wife isn’t a fan of Elena and would not have minded the young woman’s death. Elena’s campus enemies spread from other students to members of the Deaf Student’s Union and into the faculty where her charms led to their troubles.
Havers has her ongoing situation with her mother to deal with while Lynley had his own”set” to contend with. The pair continue to contrast nicely and add a dynamic tension that is almost palpable.
For The Sake Of Elena is yet another winning entry in this great series.
Stay together, but apart please. ( )
  TomDonaghey | Apr 23, 2020 |

Elizabeth Georgeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Biström, PirkkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dawn snuffs out star's spent wick,
Even as love's dear fools cry evergreen,
And a languor of wax congeals the veins
No matter how fiercely lit.
- Sylvia Plath
For Mom and Dad, who encouraged the passion and tried to understand everything else.
Those familiar with the city of Cambridge and with Cambridge University will recognize that there is little enough space between Trinity College and Trinity Hall in the first place, let alone enough space to hold the seven courts and four hundred years of architecture which comprise my fictional St. Stephen's College.
....the right thing is sometimes the most obvious thing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,261,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible