The Lady and the Laird (Scottish Brides)

by Nicola Cornick

Series: Scottish Brides (book 1)

aAn Indecent ProposalLady Lucy MacMorlan may have forsworn men and marriage, but that doesn't mean she won't agree to profit from writing love letters for her brother's friends--letters that become increasingly racy as her fame grows. That is, until she inadvertently ruins the betrothal of a notorious laird.Robert, the dashing Marquis of Methven, is on to Lucy's secret. And he certainly doesn't intend to let the lovely Lady Lucy have the last word, especially when her letters suggest she is considerably more experienced than he realized.But Lucy's knowledge is not based on past seductions. If she continues to write letters, she'll need to conduct some firsthand research. Robert has secrets of his own, but he is all too willing to aid a lady in need, especially when he desperately needs a bride.… (more)

I received a copy of this book through Netgalley by Harlequin. This is the first time that I have read from this author, and I really enjoyed myself wit this story. It was a bit unique in the way it developed, It starts out a bit slow in the beginning, but when you really start to get into it, then the plot tends to escalate even further. I wouldn’t say that this is my favorite romance by any means, I would say it was enjoyable and fun but nothing about it really stood out to me.

Robert, has just returned from Canada, when his grandfather dies, and he must take over responsibility of his estates as Laird. He finds out though that he has to marry soon, and not just any bride, there is a very short list of prospects. And he must produce a heir within a year after the marriage, in order to keep his lands. He is very devoted to repairing the damage his grandfather had committed. But then his bride ends up eloping with another man, and the culprit is Lady Lucy. Lucy is a bluestocking to its truest form, and a very talented author. When her brother comes to her for help in writing love letter, she sees no harm in it, and needs the money. But when she finds herself in a situation where she is unable to keep the truth from Robert, she knows that she is in trouble. Then he proposes marriage to her of all things!! She is determined to never marry, but when Robert kisses her, all of her protests melt away, and she doesn’t know what she really wants. But when she ends up having no choice but to marry him, she wonders if she has made the right choice.

I felt like this story was pretty well developed for the most part, and I would characterize it as a sweet love story. However I felt while reading it, a certain element missing. I felt that it didn’t have enough “pizazz” to really captivate me. I would say it was overall a very enjoyable story that had some positive aspects to the story, but its not the “impossible to put down”. As a matter of fact, I could easily put it down. It also ended a bit too quick, and I felt especially at the last part of the book that it was missing something, it was cut short I thought at the end. But I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys a quick and poignant romance. ( )
  addictofromance | Jul 8, 2019 |
This is Ms. Cornick’s first novel in Scottish Brides series and it really is a MUST read!

The novel is very funny, entertaining and just too sweet for words!

If you’re familiar with this author, then you already know that her novel’s are populated with strong, complex and always, always witty characters that stay with you a long time, and that’s what you’ll find here as well.

I adored both main characters, but especially Lucy. Her background in regards to her twin sister just took my breath away.

This was a strong woman with some issues that only a strong man could help with. As for Robert, not much was going to stand in this man’s way when it comes to his duty to his Clan.

I also liked the pace of the story. It wasn’t too fast and allowed me to thoroughly immerse into not just the growing relationship between the leads, but also into their respective backgrounds. It’s their lives before they met each other that shaped who they were, and how that would impact their future, if they were to have one.

There are so many, many scenes which made me laugh out loud that I had tears in my eyes…like the scene in which Robert is jilted at the altar and our heroine realizes that he knows this debacle is her fault.

If you’ve never had a chance to read this author, then this is a perfect book to introduce her to you. I promise you’ll find the plot interesting, characters entertaining and the dialogue witty and charming. And let’s not forget those love scenes which will get your blood pumping! Recommending it to all Regency lovers, and especially those who love a man in a kilt!

Melanie for b2b

*Book provided by publisher through NetGalley. ( )
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,364,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible