Round the Garden by Omri Glaser

Round the Garden

by Omri Glaser

I haven't actually kid-tested this book yet, but we did send it to our grandchildren of varied ages. It tells an essential story, it leaves room for side discussions, and, I hope, will jump start their own stories of what happens in a garden. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
What a fun little book! Each page spread with a simple phrase, starting with "This is the tear", is followed by a two page spread of a detailed and very cute illustration. It could be a quick read from tear to tear (onions make the gardeners cry at the end), or lead to discussion of the water cycle, plants and animals included in the illustrations. I'm looking forward to sharing this book with my grandchildren.
  JDHofmeyer | Sep 28, 2018 |
we need to find this & add more information about it
  FTCNS | Oct 18, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439243572, Paperback)

In an unusual mix of fiction and science--no, it's not science fiction--8-year-old author Omri Glaser traces the hydrologic cycle that starts with a tear. The falling tear helps form a puddle, which evaporates to become a cloud, which makes the rain fall, which helps the garden grow, which produces an onion, which causes more tears! Color-soaked pages hold simple, sparse text in easy-to-read bold print; the story should be lingered over and used as a starting point for discussions about earth science, nature, and life cycles. The illustrations, created by the artist team of Byron Glaser and Sandra Higashi, are digitally produced: two-page spreads of solid color and minimal artwork alternate with more elaborate spreads depicting broad stretches of sky, ponds, and gardens. Clouds are labeled with their correct categorizations (cumulus, nimbostratus, cirrus, etc.), and a very loose diagram of photosynthesis, again with proper terminology (carbon dioxide, soil, oxygen, sunshine) is a good introduction to this phenomenon, without bogging down in age-inappropriate specifics. The youthful age of the author can serve as an inspiration to would-be writers and illustrators. (Ages 3 to 7) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:26 -0400)

Traces the journey of a tear as it falls to the ground, evaporates, reappears as rain, and waters a garden to make an onion grow to produce more tears.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,341,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible