Girl on a Train by A. J. Waines

Girl on a Train

by A. J. Waines

Headstrong Journalist, Anna Rothman knows what suicide looks like - her own husband killed himself five years earlier. When Elly Swift, an agitated passenger beside her on a train, leaves a locket in Anna's bag before jumping onto the tracks, Anna starts asking awkward questions. But everything points to suicide and the police close the case. Anna, however, believes Elly's fears for Toby, her young nephew, missing since being snatched from St Stephen's church six months ago, fail to explain the true reason behind Elly's distress. Through a series of hidden messages Elly left behind, Anna embarks on a dangerous crusade to track down Toby and find Elly's killer. But nothing is as it seems and Anna opens a can of worms that throws into question even her own husband's suicide - before the threads of the mystery converge in an astonishing conclusion.… (more)

I've mistaken this book "Girl on a train" for "The girl on the train" by Paula Hawkins. I got it as an audiobook to listen to while working.
I wouldn't call it a thriller or even a mystery since you won't be thrilled till the last few pages. The author failed to deliver the sense of urgency and anticipation you look for in this genre.
The plot felt weak at some points, like Anna getting through all this trouble just because Elly _a girl she didn't know, whom she met one a train for a few hours and barely exchanged any words_ was jumpy...
But it's a nice short book nonetheless. I did liked the ending, it was really unexpected.
  Dohakoma | Apr 20, 2017 |
The twist at the end was surprising and fit so well the theme of meaningless tragedy. Though most of the story is told from the point of view of Anna, the journalist who is pulled into the tragic death of Emily, the reader does get a glimpse into the thoughts of Emily towards the end of the story. I also enjoyed seeing how Anna has a closer tie to this tragedy than she realized. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Oct 29, 2016 |
Great read! Seems like some of these new television shows take ideas from these books and use them as part of the plot. Good writing, like the style. Some comments on the book found the switching character point of view too confusing and hard to follow, I did not find that to be an issue. ( )
  Bauernfeind | Jun 4, 2016 |
The first half of this book is kind of slow. Frankly, it felt a bit like reading a description of someones trip to the supermarket.

However, in the second half the story really comes to life. Its almost as if a light switch has flipped on. And the ending is excellent. So have patience, its worth it. ( )
  grandpahobo | Sep 24, 2015 |
slow start but grew on me. an evolving murder mystery that starts off as a personal confession by a woman falling into alcoholism. Story of domestic violence. Kept me interested and turning pages ( )
  lindaspangler | Jun 7, 2015 |

A. J. Waines is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,931,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible