Shadow on the Glass (View from the Mirror 1)…

Shadow on the Glass (View from the Mirror 1) (edition 2000)

by Ian Irvine (Author)

Once there were three worlds, each with their own human species. Then, fleeing out of the void came a fourth species, the Charon. Desperate, on the edge of extinction, they changed the balance between the worlds forever. Karan, a sensitive with a troubled heritage, is forced to steal an ancient relic in repayment of a debt. It turns out to be the Mirror of Aachan, a twisted, deceitful thing that remembers everything it has ever seen. At the same time, Llian, a brilliant chronicler, is expelled from his college for uncovering a perilous mystery. Thrown together by fate, Karan and Llian are hunted across a world at war, for the Mirror contains a secret that offers each species survival, or extinction.… (more)
Member:ecamarca
Title:Shadow on the Glass (View from the Mirror 1)
Authors:Ian Irvine (Author)
Info:Little, Brown Book Group (2000), Edition: paperback / softback

Work Information

A Shadow on the Glass by Ian Irvine

English (9)  Dutch (1)  All languages (10)
Read this a while ago and remember really liking it.
  benkaboo | Aug 18, 2022 |
How did this get published? It became really boring after a while, so I chose to drop this. Please don't waste your time on this one. ( )
  MVO_1 | Feb 16, 2022 |
I’ve given it a lot of thought and decided that I could not have finished this book if I had read it. However, for me, listening to certain types of books is different.

My biggest issue was that parts of the storyline, especially the world’s history, were drawn out. Too lengthy for me. To be honest, I didn’t want to know in that much detail. Some people do, and you can’t please everyone. I realise that typically, fantasy books are inclined to do that, but it’s not something I enjoy (any more). Lengthy descriptions of any type are boring.

That aside, after some listening, I grew attached to Llian and Karan. And to be frank, I wanted to know what adventure they would experience. Llian can be a bit annoying, but I’m sure he’ll grow into someone worthy by the end of the series. We all have our ways, and we learn from experience. Llian hasn’t had it easy, but I wouldn’t say he’s had a hard life either. At least he had a roof over his head and had some semblance of normality.

In comparison, Karan’s life was harder and lonelier, which gives her the tools to look after herself in a world about to go to war (mostly). The two together manage to figure out what to do to survive.

Of course, other characters upset their plans. Some help them, some are loyal, and others betray. The mix makes for an interesting story (once all the description is pushed aside).

I’m halfway through book 2. Persevere, it gets better. ( )
  KarenLeeField | Oct 26, 2019 |
I really, really struggled to like this book. It wasn't un-enjoyable, exactly, and I particularly enjoyed Karan and her POV, but it somehow just didn't quite hit the spot for me. There's a pretty big likelihood that it was a bit too "high" fantasy for me: there's a reason I usually read YA and similarly written books; I just don't have the patience for wordy slowness. That said, I did like this enough to finish the book, but I'm not sure whether I can be bothered to finish the series, irregardless of how much I like Karan. ( )
  waxflower | Feb 27, 2017 |
I enjoy Irvine's books and the worlds that he has built for his 3 Worlds Cycle but I starting to worry about how much he tortures his female protagonists. ( )
  brakketh | Sep 19, 2016 |
'Slechts een miniem verschil zal de doorslag geven bij de vraag welke
individuen overleven en welke niet...welke variëteit of soort in aantal zal
toenemen en welke zal afnemen of uitsterven.'

Darwin, The Origin of Species
'A grain in the balance will determine which individual shall live and which shall die - which variety or species shall increase in number, and which shall decrease, or finally become extinct..'

Darwin, The Origin of Species
Voor mijn legioen van trouwe lezers,
metgezellen op de lange mars,
die geen moment hun geloof verloren,
ook al moesten ze negen jaar
op het einde wachten.
Maar toch in de eerste plaats voor

Nancy en Eric
To my legion of faithful readers,
companions on the long march,
who never faltered though having to
wait nine years for the ending.
But most especially to
Nancy and Eric
It was the final night of the Graduation Telling, when the masters and students of the College of Histories at Canthed told the Great Tales that were the very essence of human life on Santhenar

Ian Irvine is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,403,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible