The Tower On The Rift: The View From The…

The Tower On The Rift: The View From The Mirror, Volume Two (A Three… (edition 2000)

by Ian Irvine (Author)

WAR RAGES ACROSS SANTHENAR as Aachim, Faellem and old humans pursue the Mirror of Aachan. A desperate Tensor, leader of the Aachim people, flees with it into the wilderness, taking the brilliant young chronicler Llian with him. Only Karan can save him, though she's not sure that she can help herself. Tensor wants her dead, the other powers are hunting her for her sensitive talents, and Rulke the Charon broods over them all from his Nightland prison. The Twisted Mirror holds knowledge that the world can only dream about. How will Tensor use it in the final confrontation? Will Llian be seduced by it too? Or will the Mirror betray them all, in the end?… (more)
Member:ecamarca
Title:The Tower On The Rift: The View From The Mirror, Volume Two (A Three Worlds Novel)
Authors:Ian Irvine (Author)
Info:Orbit (2000), Edition: Reprint, 688 pages

Work Information

The Tower on the Rift by Ian Irvine

English (5)  Dutch (1)  All languages (6)
Book 2 in the series. Again, I could not "read" the book, but as an audiobook, it was quite good. In fact, this volume of the series saw some action and movement in the storyline. We live in an instant world these days, and the plot for some fantasy books can be painful.

Llian and Karan's relationship is one of those stop and go situations. Sometimes it is one of them doing the stoping. And other times it is what is happening around them. I can't accept their relationship as being real though. Or perhaps "deep" is the word, I should have used. It feels superficial. That may be intended or not. I don't know, but I suspect not at this stage of the story.

Thankfully, the world's history is no longer a problem. It is assumed we know that after book one and I'm pleased to say that we do not have to read it again.

Reading over what I've written makes me think I've given the wrong star rating as it sounds like I don't like the story or characters at all. Yet, despite all I've said, I have gone on and listened to book 3 and I'm halfway through book 4 so something must have kept my attention. ( )
  KarenLeeField | Oct 26, 2019 |
I am not really sure why but this series is not really grabbing me. I am enjoying it well enough and the world building is solid, I think I am finding the characters challenging to 'like'. I am going to keep reading and see if I am better able to put my finger on it. ( )
  brakketh | Sep 25, 2016 |
THREE WORLDS
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
Tensor of the Aachim blames the other three human species for the woes suffered by his people actually caused by his leadership. His desire is pandemic destruction at a level never seen in known history. His scheme gels when Yggur the Sorcerer destroys Thurkad, forcing the Great Conclave attendees to flee for their safety. Tensor abducts Lilan the Chronicler and steals the magical Mirror of Aachan that a millennium ago belonged to his race and reflects all it has seen. Through the Twisted Mirror, Tensor plans to eradicate all he loathes.
Karan borders on lunacy without Lilan to anchor her, but only she can find Tensor, Lilan, and the mirror, that is if her mind remains sane long enough to hold a rationale thought. She and the likes of Yggor and Shand the hermit magician will meet in a desperate gathering of the magic at a bastion long lost to time in the midst of the Dry Sea Desert with the fate of Santhenar and probably the other two orbs at stake.

THE TOWER ON THE RIFT, volume two of the "View From the Mirror", is a powerful epic fantasy loaded with numerous threads and sidebars that ultimately merge into a complex cohesive story line. An introductory synopsis of the first novel (see A SHADOW ON THE GLASS) helps provide perspective, but reading the debut volume would enhance perusing this extremely complicated book. Ian Irvine's vividly descriptive universe should go to the head of the reading lists of the sub-genre audience because the characters are multiple-dimensional, the worlds and its species feel real, and the outstanding plots majestic in scope. ( )
  Jawin | Dec 30, 2007 |
The Tower on the Rift is my favorite book of the View from the Mirror series! Definately a good read, and highly reccommended. ( )
1 vote Redthing | Feb 11, 2007 |
'The irony of history is inexorable.'

Barbara Tuchman, The March of Folly
The Great Hall was dark.

Ian Irvine is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,237,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible