Last Woman On Earth by C. V. Hunt

Last Woman On Earth

by C. V. Hunt

721,626,111 (4.2)None

Perfectly Grim & Melancholic

(Trigger warning for suicide and allusions to rape.)

“Last Woman On Earth” opens in a most unusual way: that is, with a brief primer on hanging techniques. The narrator is, as far as she can tell, the last woman on earth, and it’s a burden she’s long since tired of shouldering. She aims to kill herself, but not after enjoying one last sunrise and sunset from high atop the Seattle Space Needle.

In this distant future, the apocalypse arrives on the back of science: after generations of “pump[ing] their bodies full of contraceptives,” women’s reproductive systems have evolved into a state of persistent infertility. The declining birth rate affords men yet another excuse to exploit women – women’s bodies being the means of production, the very stuff of life – and women once again become the hunted. Kidnapping, rape, and human trafficking are at best overlooked in the name of saving the latest endangered species – us. So it’s no surprise when, during her final suicide trek to the West Coast, the narrator turns away from the only human she spots on the road – a man. It’s perilous to be a dwindling natural resource, after all.

For such a short story, “Last Woman On Earth” packs quite a punch. My only complaint? The author’s use of “rape” to denote something that is not rape (environmental degradation) – an especially egregious affront considering the theme of the story.

http://www.easyvegan.info/2014/10/25/last-woman-on-earth-by-c-v-hunt/ ( )
  smiteme | Oct 6, 2014 |
The future stretches on and on, but when you’re the last woman on Earth what do you do?

I have to admit I wasn’t expecting the story to be what it was. To tell the truth I’m not exactly sure what I was expecting, but it wasn’t this. Well-written and detailed I thoroughly enjoyed it all the way to the bleak end.

*Book source ~ Picked up for free on Amazon. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Jun 28, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,652,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible