Deadpool, Vol. 2: Soul Hunter by Brian…
"First: Flash back to Deadpool's adventures of yesteryear with Iron Man! Then: A demon hires Deadpool to reclaim damned souls! And just in case you didn't think he could get any stranger, Wade gets in touch with his feminine side! Plus: Deadpool targets a man with aquatic powers, and then teams up with your Superior Neighborhood Spider-Man! And we promise he kills one of those two!"--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

Soul Hunter starts with a crack about having to run an old comic issue from the past, and proceeds to present an entire comic book from the 60's, complete with the bad coloring, the cheesy dialogue, and everything. It absolutely looks like an old comic book, but with Deadpool making modern references occasionally.

Here, he's tasked with a very Ghost-Rider-esque job of hunting down some folks who sold their soul to the devil in order for special powers. The special powers each make it difficult for Deadpool to assassinate his target, which is where the fun comes from. One thing that's really neat is just how much insight you get into the Deadpool character, with another character whose soul has been transplanted into his brain (he's trying to find a way to get her out). You really see how crazy Deadpool is, and he also has lots of moments where he's a complete bastard as well as moments where he's a kind-hearted person deep down. It perfectly captures the essence of the character.

Funny and engaging throughout, this may well be one of the best deadpool arcs out there. I only knocked a star off because Deadpool temporarily teams up with Spider-man, and it's the Superior version where it's actually Dr. Octopus in Peter Parker's body. I completely hate that shit, so I can't rate any book that cameos him as pefect. ( )
  rodhilton | Nov 14, 2014 |
Selling your soul to a demon rarely has a favorable outcome. Sure, you’ll get what you need up-front but the poor saps that complete the transaction are usually only equipped with tunnel vision. They can’t see the bigger picture, the potential repercussions of their choice. That being said, I’m sure they didn’t expect to be hunted down by The Merc with a Mouth himself, Deadpool.

Vetis, the demon in question, has been spreading his powers among a select few individuals. When the time comes for him to call in his loans, he hires Deadpool to bring about their demise. Hunting them down one by one, Deadpool encounters several adversaries along the way and it’s not long before he’s at odds with Spider-Man and Daredevil.

But first, before all that stuff, we get a single issue blast from the past that takes Deadpool back to 1979 in a one-off adventure with Iron Man. Don’t let something as trivial as Deadpool not being created until 1991 get in the way of the storytelling – it’s really funny stuff. In this tale, Vetis encounters Deadpool for the first time, asking him to keep Tony Stark off the wagon. Deadpool finds a pretty brilliant way around his mission that’ll have readers laughing.

I’ve become a huge fan of Deadpool and Brian Posehn and Gerry Duggan’s current run with the character is downright awesome. The character itself relies heavily on dark humor and a plethora of pop culture references so it’s easy to sometimes view the writers as “trying too hard”. That being said, you never feel that with these two. They seem to have a tight grasp on what works with The Crimson Nutcase.

I can’t recommend this series enough. I’ve been reading the trades but I may have to switch to the monthlies. My only real complaint would be his mental merger with S.H.E.I.L.D agent Preston. While it does have its moments, it often feels a little tacky and unnecessary. However, I’m pretty happy that the ghost of Benjamin Franklin appears to be a series regular.

Cross Posted @ Every Read Thing ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |

Brian Posehnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Duggan, Gerrymain authorall editionsconfirmed
All the animals come to Times Square: tourists, shoppers, commuters, and boring types that pushed all the whores, beggars, queens, dopers, and junkies out. Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets. Then all those cool kids can come back.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,908,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible