The Queen of the Tearling (2014)

by Erika Johansen

Series: Queen of the Tearling (1)

"On her nineteenth birthday, Princess Kelsea Raleigh Glynn, raised in exile, sets out on a perilous journey back to the castle of her birth to ascend her rightful throne. Plain and serious, a girl who loves books and learning, Kelsea bears little resemblance to her mother, the vain and frivolous Queen Elyssa. But though she may be inexperienced and sheltered, Kelsea is not defenseless: Around her neck hangs the Tearling sapphire, a jewel of immense magical power; and accompanying her is the Queen's Guard, a cadre of brave knights led by the enigmatic and dedicated Lazarus. Kelsea will need them all to survive a cabal of enemies who will use every weapon--from crimson-caped assassins to the darkest blood magic--to prevent her from wearing the crown."--… (more)

English (152)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (154)
Although I picked this book up with incredulity (on a rainy Friday afternoon as "I need some reading material for an afternoon in the coffeeshop and this one had good reviews" – and there isn't great selection of english books in the Czech republic) , I was quite positively surprised. Fast paced, intricate, with great sense of humour and (almost) no-bullsh*t kind of heroine. And I have to say, that I find the concept of post-utopian-dystopian-in-the-future-medieval-fantasy quite original and entertaining. So yea, perfect as an autumnal fantasy read. ( )
  MargaretGwen | Apr 23, 2021 |
  MargaretGwen | Apr 23, 2021 |

Very well written and interesting, but it was a bit long. The characters are well developed and have consistent personalities, I found all of the perspectives interesting and they moved the plot forward. Can't wait to find out more about this world in the next few books. ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |
This was a great start to a trilogy! I loved the complexity of Kelsea's character and loved being able to see her growth throughout the story as well. Learning about her world through her felt pretty natural. There weren't any crazy info dumps about this new fantasy world and I have so many questions about this world which I hope are answered in the next two books in this series. I don't understand why so much about her kingdom and about her mother was kept from Kelsea as she was growing up secluded from life at the castle and so I'm hoping all that will also be explained. Her guards are interesting characters as well and I enjoyed reading about the complexity of their characters. In fact, all characters (even some quite minor characters) were given such complexity that I didn't want to put the book down. One thing I did have a slight problem with was (for lack of better words) the mixture of "regal talk" with "street talk". I understand Kelsea was new to hearing certain words and phrases since being brought up by a couple who probably never swore around her, but I found the mixture of using queen-like/regal language in with swear words and phrases only used by those from today's society at a juxtaposition that didn't sit well with me. There is one point where Kelsea says something to the effect of, "You don't have the 'balls to do that'." But then at other times she speaks so eloquently (in the way I imagined she was raised to speak) that the two don't sit well with me. There is some talk that I would consider "middle ground" no regalia to the terms/sentence structure, but no street slang and that was okay for me. That was quite honestly the only thing I could find fault with in this book which makes me lean more towards a 4.85 but overall, Erika Johansen is quite a story teller and I'm hoping to see this great story telling continue throughout the next books in this trilogy. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
The audiobook definitely held my attention more than when I tried to read the ebook. This says a lot about the fantastic narration by Katherine Kellgren. Far from being bored, I would catch myself thinking about the story eager to get back to it when I had to do mundane life things like work or other errands. I enjoyed that this had a much darker feel to it similar to Half Bad and Shadow and Bone. Queen of the Tearling read like a high fantasy novel but referred to America several times so I guess it was supposed to be post-apoc or dystopic? I'm not sure - but I liked the high fantasy aspect - the magic - good vs evil - etc. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel and I'm hoping to connect more with the characters as the story continues. That lack of connection is what kept me from rating this a five. ( )
  NCDonnas | Jan 2, 2021 |

Erika Johansenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prato, RodicaMap designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whittaker, SarahCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Christian and Katie
Kelsea Glynn sat very still, watching the troop approach her homestead.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,050,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible