Living Proof: A Novel of Key West

by Kevin May

314,199,062 (4.5)None
CIA since the age of twenty-one, by no choice of his own, Agent Jake Lander had long dreamed of the day he would finally be free from the life they had provided him in their finely-tuned world of deception. After a twenty-five year career with the Agency, Jake knew far too much to simply walk away. Escape was his only option. Once that day arrived, he was designated a national security risk--his Protocol: Capture or Kill. Jake chose the quaint and quirky island of Key West to begin his new life of peaceful anonymity. However, his serenity would be short-lived as he discovered that his island paradise was too small to get away with anything. Faced with that reality, Jake knew his escape could easily end up costing him his life, yet it was the only way get it back.… (more)

This was a Goodreads First Read win, I think the first one I received. I wasn't sure what to expect, but the synopsis on the giveaway looked interesting, and I was lucky enough to get a copy, signed.

Living Proof is a quirky little read. It's the story of a CIA operative who decides to leave his old life for the sweet life down in Key West (something I've considered doing myself at times). While there he meets a bunch of colorful characters, but while he outruns his past he smacks into it almost head on without trying.

Not quite as action/adventure-y as I thought it was going to be, but a fun read. It has a noir flare, like the classic Humphrey Bogart detective movies. Overall, I'd say worth checking out.

And thank you, Mr. May, I did, in fact, "enjoy the ride." ( )
  regularguy5mb | Jan 16, 2014 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,687,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible