Beyond the Glass Slipper: Ten Neglected Fairy Tales To Fall In Love With

by Kate Wolford (Editor)

Some fairy tales everyone knows-these aren't those tales. These are tales of kings who get deposed and pigs who get married. These are ten tales, much neglected. Editor of Enchanted Conversation: A Fairy Tale Magazine, Kate Wolford, introduces and annotates each tale in a manner that won't leave novices of fairy tale studies lost in the woods to grandmother's house, yet with a depth of research and a delight in posing intriguing puzzles that will cause folklorists and savvy readers to find this collection a delicious new delicacy.Beyond the Glass Slipper is about more than just reading fairy tales-it's about connecting to them. It's about thinking of the fairy tale as a precursor to Saturday Night Live as much as it is to any princess-movie franchise: the tales within these pages abound with outrageous spectacle and absurdist vignettes, ripe with humor that pokes fun at ourselves and our society.Never stuffy or pedantic, Kate Wolford proves she's the college professor you always wish you had: smart, nurturing, and plugged into pop culture. Wolford invites us into a discussion of how these tales fit into our modern cinematic lives and connect the larger body of fairy tales, then asks-no, insists-that we create our own theories and connections. A thinking man's first step into an ocean of little known folklore.… (more)

"Every tale is meant to engender thought and discussion...I am designing the introductions, questions and annotations to provoke readers."

10 lesser-known European fairy tales collected and annotated by Kate Wolford (Enchanted Conversation) for casual readers as well as students. Beyond the Glass Slipper will be most appreciated by those looking to discuss what they've read.

I recommend reading the fairy tale first, then its introduction, next the annotations, and finish up with the "Consider" section of the introduction.

Fairy tales included:
King Pig
Kisa the Cat

4 stars ( )
1 vote flying_monkeys | Sep 13, 2016 |
For Todd, my husband, who is more than a prince.
A pretty girl sleeps on and on.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 202,047,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible