Hanukkah Bear by Eric A. Kimmel

Hanukkah Bear

by Eric A. Kimmel

On the first night of Hanukkah, Old Bear wanders into Bubba Brayna's house and receives a delicious helping of potato latkes when she mistakes him for the rabbi. Includes a recipe for latkes.

I enjoyed this book for many reasons. I liked this book because of the comical tone to the book. I like how the author made it fun for the readers to read, it was funny to think that a 97 year old woman who can barely see or hear would let a bear into her home because she though the bear was her rabbi. The language was kind of mixed in this book because when the author wrote about bubba she was very descriptive including how she made her latkes and the way the old bear ate the latkes. The language was also not very descriptive or creative because all the old bear said was "GRR" or "GRAWWWLL". I thought that the plot of the story was organized very well with a clear beginning, middle and end. The suspense of the story I would say was when the Rabbi who Bubba thought had already came to her house told Bubba that he hadn't been to her house yet and was with the rest of the towns people all along. I was also interesting because the author kind of made it like a little mystery case for the townspeople and when they finally discovered it was a bear that had been to Bubba's they just laughed about it instead of being scared. I wasn't sure of the whole mural or idea of the book but I can guess that on a holiday like Hanukkah people should be willing to open their house to anyone and everyone should enjoy the activities, culture and food of the holiday together.
  MackenzieVenezia | Oct 31, 2016 |
Adorable. Includes author's note and recipe for potato latkes. Kimmel's books are illustrated by a wide variety of artists - Wohnoutka is one I def. like. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A cute book to teach children about Hanukkah and generosity.
  madisenowen | Jan 29, 2016 |
This funny story talks about the Jewish holiday called Hanukkah. An old lady named Bubba Bryana mistakes a bear for a Rabbi. They do the traditions of Hanukkah, such as light the menorah, play dreidel, and eat potato latke. The holidays are a time to be kind to one another. Once Bubba Bryna realized she fed the bear all of her food she was still happy. She was happy to give the bear a good Hanukkah. Not only does this book show aspects of Hanukkah, it also shows to be kind to one another. ( )
  AllieR93 | Sep 19, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,388,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible