The Second Horseman (Fade) by Kyle Mills

The Second Horseman (Fade) (edition 2007)

by Kyle Mills (Author)

2003111,906 (3.36)1
"Brandon Vale is a career thief - the best there is. Or at least he was before he was thrown in prison for a jewel heist gone bad. And even more embarrassing, he had nothing to do with it. His time inside is going fairly quietly until the night he's broken out against his will by Richard Scanlon, the now-retired FBI agent who framed him in the first place." "Scanlon, who still has ties to the United States intelligence community, has discovered that a Ukrainian crime organization is auctioning twelve nuclear warheads to the highest bidder, but he can't convince the government that the sale isn't a hoax. The only way he can get his hands on the $200 million necessary to take the warheads off the market is to do something that goes against everything he stands for: steal it." "The choice Brandon is given is simple: help Scanlon and hope to live through it, or turn himself in and face the repercussions of his "escape."" "Suddenly, Brandon finds himself with only weeks to plan a Las Vegas heist that that he's been dreaming about for years but has always thought was probably impossible. And to make matters worse, Scanlon insists on choosing his team personally. Led by the relentlessly intelligent and undeniably beautiful Catherine Juarez, not a single one of the former government operatives he picks has so much as shoplifted a pack of gum in their lives." "As the day of the heist approaches, Brandon's carefully constructed plans begin to break down and he suspects that the elaborate double-cross he's devised to save himself could cost millions of lives. He finally has to ask himself just how far he's willing to be dragged into a game he can only lose."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)
Member:TBS1
Title:The Second Horseman (Fade)
Authors:Kyle Mills (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2007), 352 pages

Work Information

The Second Horseman by Kyle Mills

Brandon Vale is in jail for a jewel heist he didn't commit, though he is a career thief. He is suddenly broken out of jail by Richard Scanlan and Catherine Juarez who need Brandon's help to prevent a global disaster. I listened to an audio version of the book. the version said it was unabridged and if that's true the writer is very choppy and ends chapters abruptly. the plot of the story is silly but fun, especially when Brandon pulls off a big robbery. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
The idea behind this novel certainly sounds interesting: break a master thief out of prison in order to steal massive amounts of cash to buy nuclear weapons from these Ukrainian gangsters in order to get them out of the market. It certainly hooked me in. In order to get the $200 Million Brandon, the master thief, must heist trucks filled with cash coming from Las Vegas casinos. Not that it was without flaws, but this was the best part of the novel. The downright ridiculousness comes when Brandon and company must travel out to the Ukraine to make the purchase.

My major issue with this book is the general lack of believability . I have no issue with the premise, but I found myself inwardly groaning at much of what was written. The novel also violated one of my pet peeves, where the real bad guys are members of the US government, and not the terrorist bastards that we deal with in the real world. As a result I had a hard time staying with this novel. My recommendation is not to bother picking this book up to begin with. Not to say there isn't entertaining aspects of this novel, but it wasn't well written or well executed.

Carl Alves - author of Two For Eternity ( )
  Carl_Alves | Oct 14, 2012 |
Airplane book, for a 13-hour flight. I heard this author speak at a writer's conference, and, though this is not usually my kind of book, I vowed to read it on my next trip. So I did. The premise is over the top, the characters are a bit stereotyped, but it was entertaining, and that's what you need on a long plane ride. ( )
  keferunk | Jan 8, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,278,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible