Those Four Letter Words by Christina…

Those Four Letter Words (edition 2013)

by Christina Channelle

911,790,268 (4.5)None
Eighteen-year-old Jade Reamer is a tough girl with a reputation to prove it. She loves three people and three people only: her brother, her boyfriend, and her best friend. Everyone else is irrelevant. That is ... until Reed enters the picture again. Suddenly things start to spiral out of control and things aren't as they seem. Life is no longer simply black and white, love versus hate. Suddenly, it's hard to figure out which of those four letter words is true. Especially when she can't look away from those devil eyes. I love you. I hate you. I love you. I hate you. Which is it? I don't even know anymore. Well, let's find out. This 15,000 word novella contains coarse language, angst driven young adults, and a lot of pent-up frustration. Oh yeah. Plus love and a little bit of hate. (NA Contemporary)… (more)
Member:Sugarpeach
Title:Those Four Letter Words
Authors:Christina Channelle
Info:Christina Channelle (2013), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition, 62 pages

Work Information

Those Four Letter Words by Christina Channelle

This is the first new adult book I’m reviewing. According to USA Today, “New Adult novels explore the terrifying and wonderful chasm between adolescence and adulthood”. While the story in this book doesn’t exactly explore that chasm much, I could see some of that element in the story. It is a short story (only 15,000 words) but it is unforgettable. The story dives right into the main plot with barely any buildup. Along the way, we discover bits of information about Jade and Reed’s past.

I didn’t really like Jade’s character at first. She has been with her boyfriend, Connor, for two years. While I can’t exactly give information about what Connor has done, I’m going to give an example, a hypothetical situation. Let’s imagine that Connor hits Jade. Jade is one of those girls who would say, “Yes, he hit me again but we had been fighting and he hit me while he was drunk. I love him and he loves him. We have been together for two years. I’m forgiving him for hitting me again”. I couldn’t help but think that she was too naive and stupid. Learning more about her past helped me to see why she acts the way she does, but my feelings about her are still a tad mixed.

Jade’s character was explored in-depth to a certain extent. Her character was well developed compared to the other characters. I suppose the shortness of the story has something to do with that, but I did think that the story could have explored the relationships between the various characters in a deeper level.

There’s a thin line between love and hate. Jade wavers between the two as she struggles with her feelings. She has been deeply hurt in the past and her past made her the person she is now, “an unfeeling b****” (according to Reed). Only a proper explanation from Reed would help her sort her feelings out. There’s plenty of misunderstandings in the story. Things aren’t always the way they seem to be. There’s a surprise or two in there as well.

At the end of the novella, I was disappointed there wasn’t more. I wanted more on the relationship between Jade and Reed. There was precious little about it in the story and most of it took place towards the end. There’s a hint to more, maybe in a sequel? I’m definitely hoping for a sequel.

Conclusion: The language in the novella isn’t clean. The story is short and can be read in one sitting, but don’t think that it’s simple. It contains plenty of teen angst, relationship troubles and dilemmas.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received the ARC of this book free. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  Sugarpeach | Jul 8, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,231,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible