The Friendly Persuasion by Jessamyn West

The Friendly Persuasion (original 1945; edition 2003)

by Jessamyn West

Member:Majella
Title:The Friendly Persuasion
Authors:Jessamyn West
Info:Harvest Books (2003), Paperback, 228 pages

The Friendly Persuasion by Jessamyn West (1945)

This novel about Quakers in the Midwest explores the variety of ways friends deal with violence and strive for peace.
  PendleHillLibrary | Aug 21, 2018 |
I really like the movie. And I really like the book. But they are not the same. The movie has a lot of material that didn't come from the book. And the book has a lot of material that didn't make it into the movie. And some of the stories taken from the book got shifted a bit on their way into the movie script.

The cover calls the book a novel. I have to disagree. It is a collection of short stories, previously published over several years in various magazines. (I'm sad that magazines don't publish much fiction anymore. But that's another story.) The common denominator of the book is that all the stories deal with the Birdwell family, and the stories are arranged in roughly chronological order. But there is no real narrative thread connecting the stories - with the exception of the two stories involving a horse named Lady - they are adjacent in the book, and are carried over mostly intact in the movie. Still, every story is able to stand alone. Character development takes place within each story, not in between them.

I originally bought the book because I liked the movie. We discussed it one time in book club. And I decided to pull it out and reread it because it showed up on my GoodReads recommendation page.

CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
The story of a Quaker family in India in the days prior to the Civil War.
The main characters are Indiana Quaker Jess Birdwell, his wife, Eliza and their children, Labe, Josh and Mattie, an 1850 junior miss.
It is interesting to hear the men discuss politics and politicians such as Stephen A. Douglas.
The story moves slowly as if we were witnessing farm life and the growth of crops and getting them ready of market. There is a scene I enjoyed where Jess and his wife take a neighbor to court over a goose. As court begins, the judge tells the bailiff to swear the witness in. Ezra says, "we're Quakers, we do not swear, Quakers affirm. When the Judge tells her this is Ok and questioning begins, the attorney tells her to address the judge as "your honor." She states, "We Quakers, do not make use of such titles, What is thy name? I think thee'll go far in out state and they name's one I'd like to know." The flustered judge agreed and at the end of the case, Ezra won her claim.” ( )
  mikedraper | Aug 14, 2015 |
One Published in 1945
One Published in 2003
  LibraryFriends | Apr 17, 2014 |
A gentle, poetic rendering of centered Quaker lives in the old Midwestern countryside. A famous, beloved book. ( )
  strawberrycreekmtg | Nov 6, 2013 |
Nahe den Ufern des Muscatatuck, wo sich einst die dunklen Ketten der Wälder dehnten und wo noch immer Fuchstraube und wilde Minze blühen, hatte Jess Birdwell, ein irischer Quäker, sein weisses Schindeldachhaus gebaut.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 015602909X, Paperback)

The Friendly Persuasion has charmed generations of readers as one of our classic tales of the American Midwest.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:15 -0400)

A quintessential American heroine, Eliza Birdwell is a wonderful blend of would-be austerity, practicality, and gentle humor when it comes to keeping her faith and caring for her family and community. Her husband, Jess, shares Eliza's love of people and peaceful ways but, unlike Eliza, also displays a fondness for a fast horse and a lively tune. With their children, they must negotiate their way through a world that constantly confronts them-sometimes with candor, sometimes with violence-and tests the strength of their beliefs. Whether it's a gift parcel arriving on their doorstep or Confederate soldiers approaching their land, the Birdwells embrace life with emotion, conviction, and a love for one another that seems to conquer all.--Back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,148,228 books! | Top bar: Always visible